Digital quality of streamed radio

Old November 8th 18, 12:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pamela

Default Digital quality of streamed radio

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on November 21, 2018.

Assuming my Android radio apps hand my request for an audio stream to
the broadcaster, is the audio quality the same no matter which app
I use?
Old November 8th 18, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lew Higgins

On 07/11/2018 23:02, Pamela wrote:
Assuming my Android radio apps hand my request for an audio stream to
the broadcaster, is the audio quality the same no matter which app
I use?

It may depend on the settings of the app. For instance, in TuneIn the
"preferred stream" can be "low", "standard" or "high". If your
connection can cope without buffering, "high" is always the best.

--
Lew
Old November 8th 18, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No.
I see at least two different bit rates even on a computer a low bit rate
and a 128k one, but it seems to me there is a third somewhere as I've heard
it can be up to325kbits.
Maybe its an app specific thing as you say?

Also the same issues seem to afflict the Sounds section as the bbc call it.
On other broadcasters its all over the place. Looks like car Sick FM have
several the one they shove on Freeview in stereo is not very good.

Old November 8th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 08:41:25 +0000, Lew Higgins
wrote:

On 07/11/2018 23:02, Pamela wrote:
Assuming my Android radio apps hand my request for an audio stream to
the broadcaster, is the audio quality the same no matter which app
I use?

It may depend on the settings of the app. For instance, in TuneIn the
"preferred stream" can be "low", "standard" or "high". If your
connection can cope without buffering, "high" is always the best.

Does it also depend on the network? I understood that audio could be
sent as a single stream from the broadcaster to the network servers
then distributed by the network, to avoid everyone connecting direct
with the broadcaster. If correct, could this lead to a variance
depending whether you are using 4G or broadband and which network?
Old November 8th 18, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pamela

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on November 22, 2018.

On 09:45 8 Nov 2018, Scott wrote in
:

wrote:

On 07/11/2018 23:02, Pamela wrote:
Assuming my Android radio apps hand my request for an audio stream to
the broadcaster, is the audio quality the same no matter which app
I use?

It may depend on the settings of the app. For instance, in TuneIn the
"preferred stream" can be "low", "standard" or "high". If your
connection can cope without buffering, "high" is always the best.

Does it also depend on the network? I understood that audio could be
sent as a single stream from the broadcaster to the network servers
then distributed by the network, to avoid everyone connecting direct
with the broadcaster. If correct, could this lead to a variance
depending whether you are using 4G or broadband and which network?

I assume that routing wasn't the case because the server workload for
Tunein (or another radio app provider) would be high. Most of their
customers don't pay anything.
Old November 8th 18, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I didn't mean that. I meant that other apps could use different
providers which might offer variances in quality (eg Tunein vs BBC
Radio iPlayer).
Old November 8th 18, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 08/11/2018 08:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
but it seems to me there is a third somewhere as I've heard
it can be up to325kbits.

Third is right. You only get that sort of bit rate if you listen to BBC
Radio 3.

Andy
Old November 8th 18, 11:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 08/11/2018 21:20, Vir Campestris wrote:

Third is right. You only get that sort of bit rate if you listen to BBC
Radio 3.

AFAIK you can download via iPlayer or GetIPlayer all the music streams
in 320kbps. Certainly that's how I listen to all music programmes now.
Old November 9th 18, 10:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Java Jive wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

You only get that sort of bit rate if you listen to
BBC Radio 3.

AFAIK you can download via iPlayer or GetIPlayer all the music streams
in 320kbps.

VLC can stream all the BBC national radio stations at 320kbps, not sure
if the local stations are also available?

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_1xtra.m3u8

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8