AT700 ?

Old May 14th 19, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default AT700 ?

On 14/05/2019 13:55, Andrew wrote:
On 12/05/2019 08:01, Mark Carver wrote:
On 11/05/2019 21:28, Andrew wrote:

It's slightly complicated by the fact COM 7 and 8 are stuck at
750ish MHz, so you'd have to forfeit those two muxes if you have a
filter (or wait until 2022)

But what happens in 2022 (apart from another GE) ?.

COM 7 and 8 have to close on or before June 30th 2022

Err, yes, but where will the HD channels, currently on
COM7 & 8 go then ?.

People who watch Spiral, Follow the Money, The Bridge etc
on BBC4 HD on their big expensive 4K tv's are not going to
be happy. Maybe this is a BBC plan to force everyone to use
the iPlayer ?.

They'll just redistribute them to existing muxes. There's plenty of
space really, and I expect eventually they will dump the DVB-T muxes
except for the "big five" channels plus a few extra.

--
Max Demian
Old May 15th 19, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 14/05/2019 19:33, Mark Carver wrote:
On 14/05/2019 16:10, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , tim...

wrote:

as iPlayer in infinitely inferior to even an SD signal

Erm. Not in my experience. I regularly use get-iplayer and the
'highest' TV
modes get me files that can be considerably better in video and sound
than
SD over DVB-T/T2. Confirmed by checking the contents with ffprobe as well
as by other measurements as well as viewing/listening.

It's HDish on iplayer on my connection, in the same quality ballpark
as via DTT. And it's not running a mega speeds either, the data rate is
of the stream is about 3-4 Mb/s

Which large numbers of rural (and some not so rural) folks can
only dream about (for now).
Old May 15th 19, 12:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 15/05/2019 11:57, Andrew wrote:

On 14/05/2019 19:33, Mark Carver wrote:

It's HDish on iplayer on my connection, in the same quality ballpark
as via DTT. And it's not running a mega speeds either, the data rate
is of the stream is about 3-4 Mb/s

Which large numbers of rural (and some not so rural) folks can
only dream about (for now).

Yes, certainly, if you've only a landline, however, you may be
interested that ...

At the end of January I discontinued mine, unlimited 1.45Mbps (when
working properly) for £22pcm while still under contract and a rip-off
£33pcm once that expired, and now use a 4G dongle plugged into my router
instead, unlimited downloads 20-30Mbps £21pcm. Initially, it seemed a
little flaky, but soon settled down. The result is that most nights
nowadays I can hibernate my PC, instead of leaving it running overnight
to download via GetIPlayer.

So if you can get reasonable 4G, have a scout around the mobile
contracts. One of the problems is that mobile contracts seems to be
very volatile, a good deal from a given supplier appears for a month on
their site, but then disappears again. But by shopping around &/or
ringing up and begging you might be able to get a good enough deal to
feel able to ditch your landline. If it helps at all, my deal is with
Virgin Mobile, but I was already a pay-monthly customer of theirs for my
mobile, so that gave me some leverage when I rang them to ask why there
were no unlimited data SIM deals for normal, non Virgin Media, customers.

If you further wonder what router to use, I made a long post to
uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.mobile about hacking a BTHH5a to
achieve this.

http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/449...a-routers.html

Additionally, up here in Sutherland, there is a seemingly quite good
firm called Highland Wireless who are currently working to cover our
area, so hopefully local residents will shortly have a choice of three
services.
Old May 15th 19, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 15/05/2019 12:42, Java Jive wrote:

So if you can get reasonable 4G, have a scout around the mobile
contracts.* One of the problems is that mobile contracts seems to be
very volatile,

If you can get 4G from Three there's this, no faffing around, just plug
and play, 22 quid a month

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

--
Mark
Old May 15th 19, 01:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

as iPlayer in infinitely inferior to even an SD signal

Erm. Not in my experience. I regularly use get-iplayer and the
'highest' TV modes get me files that can be considerably better in
video and sound than SD over DVB-T/T2. Confirmed by checking the
contents with ffprobe as well as by other measurements as well as
viewing/listening.

It's HDish on iplayer on my connection, in the same quality ballpark
as via DTT. And it's not running a mega speeds either, the data rate
is of the stream is about 3-4 Mb/s

Which large numbers of rural (and some not so rural) folks can only
dream about (for now).

One advantage of get-iplayer is that it separates fetching an item from
playing it. In my case I exploit than to fetch items before 9am so they
don't get counted against my monthly 'data cap'. But it also means you can
download something at a rate which would be too slow to view as it comes,
and then watch it later on.

Jim

Old May 15th 19, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 15/05/2019 13:00, Mark Carver wrote:

On 15/05/2019 12:42, Java Jive wrote:

So if you can get reasonable 4G, have a scout around the mobile
contracts.* One of the problems is that mobile contracts seems to be
very volatile,

If you can get 4G from Three there's this, no faffing around, just plug
and play, 22 quid a month

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

Yes, that looks a very good deal, but unfortunately, last time I looked
at the end of February, 3 have only 3G coverage here.
Old May 15th 19, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/05/2019 13:00, Mark Carver wrote:
On 15/05/2019 12:42, Java Jive wrote:

So if you can get reasonable 4G, have a scout around the mobile
contracts.* One of the problems is that mobile contracts seems to be
very volatile,

If you can get 4G from Three there's this, no faffing around, just plug
and play, 22 quid a month

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

Yes but Huawei? Will there be a chinaman under your bed?

Old May 15th 19, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 15/05/2019 17:40, Bill Wright wrote:

Yes but Huawei? Will there be a chinaman under your bed?

If it's a chinawoman, I might not complain ...
Old May 15th 19, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Mark Carver
scribeth thus
On 15/05/2019 12:42, Java Jive wrote:

So if you can get reasonable 4G, have a scout around the mobile
contracts.* One of the problems is that mobile contracts seems to be
very volatile,

If you can get 4G from Three there's this, no faffing around, just plug
and play, 22 quid a month

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

We can get decent speeds on Voodofone here but varispeed is how its best
described;!...

--
Tony Sayer