Wiring (or wirelessing?) the house for sound

Old September 29th 08, 07:57 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Scott L

Default Wiring (or wirelessing?) the house for sound

Hi all,

I'm currently designing a HTPC probably around Windows Media Center &
iTunes (so I can use a Xbox 360 and iPhone to control it
respectively). If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear their
thoughts. I've hit an interesting problem along the way and I could
use some advice.

I'm looking for a sound card/speakers combo which would enable me to
use the stereo not only in the den where the TV is, but also in the
living room (not very far away). I don't mind stringing the house with
wires, but I'd also be open to using wireless. I'd like to be able to
turn off the living room speakers when watching a movie, and use both
speaker sets to listen to music on any given day.

Does this involve buying two sound cards? If so, is there a way to
wife-proof this so I don't have to teach her how to access system
preferences to play music in the living room?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
-Scott