Verizon Fios HDTV sound is out of Sync with Picture

Old June 1st 08, 03:58 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
mike

Default Verizon Fios HDTV sound is out of Sync with Picture

Anyone have a problem with Verizon Fios HDTV audio out od sync. It is
so bad that it looks like the picture is dubbed liske a foreign film.

Old June 2nd 08, 03:23 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Alan F

mike wrote:
Anyone have a problem with Verizon Fios HDTV audio out od sync. It is
so bad that it looks like the picture is dubbed liske a foreign film.

What is your setup for sound? It is not uncommon, although they have
gotten better at this, for the broadcast for a specific network or cable
channel program to have bad audio sync. TNT-HD used to so frequently
have a bad sync problem that it became a joke on avsforum, but I have
not observed it on TNT-HD in some time. If the sync occurs on one HD
channel or for one HD program, the problem is not Fios, but with the source.

Alan F

Old June 3rd 08, 01:14 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
JXStern

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 02:58:13 GMT, mike wrote:

Anyone have a problem with Verizon Fios HDTV audio out od sync. It is
so bad that it looks like the picture is dubbed liske a foreign film.

All shows all channels all the time?

When I first started watching my hdtv, I noticed a lot of audio sync
problems. I no longer notice them. I'm not saying they've all gone
away. PBS had about a two-second sync problem when they first went
HD, but they fixed it.

J.

Old June 3rd 08, 03:53 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 02:23:16 GMT Alan F wrote:

| What is your setup for sound? It is not uncommon, although they have
| gotten better at this, for the broadcast for a specific network or cable
| channel program to have bad audio sync. TNT-HD used to so frequently
| have a bad sync problem that it became a joke on avsforum, but I have
| not observed it on TNT-HD in some time. If the sync occurs on one HD
| channel or for one HD program, the problem is not Fios, but with the source.

If there had been created a universal transport stream format that interleaved
the video and audio together on a frame by frame or at least group by group
basis, along with timing tags for each such chunk, then we would not be having
such sync problems.

A local broadcaster had frequency A/V sync issues with programs fed over the
Pathfire satellite service. I looked into one of these machines and noticed
that the entire video and entire audio were fed separately. If the satellite
signal had a glitch that caused some loss of content, the timing could then
be off by however much content could not be recovered.

Old June 7th 08, 12:56 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
L Alpert

"JXStern" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 02:58:13 GMT, mike wrote:

Anyone have a problem with Verizon Fios HDTV audio out od sync. It
is
so bad that it looks like the picture is dubbed liske a foreign
film.

All shows all channels all the time?

When I first started watching my hdtv, I noticed a lot of audio sync
problems. I no longer notice them. I'm not saying they've all gone
away. PBS had about a two-second sync problem when they first went
HD, but they fixed it.

J.

It's actually a feature. Every show is turned into a Bruce
Lee/Godzilla/
Mothra movie sound track.

Old June 7th 08, 07:03 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
JXStern

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:56:11 -0400, "L Alpert"
wrote:

It's actually a feature. Every show is turned into a Bruce
Lee/Godzilla/
Mothra movie sound track.

Swell.

But the closed captioning can be even further off.

Distantly related, back in the day I used to watch network basketball
finals, but turned off the network audio and listened to the local
announcer (Chick Hearn!) call the game. Tried to do it for the
playoffs and finals here, but the *radio* is like ten seconds behind
the broadcast video. Don't know wassup with that, if the league is
responsible, or what.

J.

Old June 7th 08, 09:22 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Richard Harison[_2_]

"JXStern" wrote in message
| On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:56:11 -0400, "L Alpert"
| wrote:
|
| It's actually a feature. Every show is turned into a Bruce
| Lee/Godzilla/
| Mothra movie sound track.
|
| Swell.
|
| But the closed captioning can be even further off.
|
| Distantly related, back in the day I used to watch network basketball
| finals, but turned off the network audio and listened to the local
| announcer (Chick Hearn!) call the game. Tried to do it for the
| playoffs and finals here, but the *radio* is like ten seconds behind
| the broadcast video. Don't know wassup with that, if the league is
| responsible, or what.
|
| J.

Might be the tape delay radio stations use in case a naughty word comes out!

--
Regards,
Richard Harison

Old June 8th 08, 12:55 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Jer

Richard Harison wrote:
"JXStern" wrote in message
| On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:56:11 -0400, "L Alpert"
| wrote:
|
| It's actually a feature. Every show is turned into a Bruce
| Lee/Godzilla/
| Mothra movie sound track.
|
| Swell.
|
| But the closed captioning can be even further off.
|
| Distantly related, back in the day I used to watch network basketball
| finals, but turned off the network audio and listened to the local
| announcer (Chick Hearn!) call the game. Tried to do it for the
| playoffs and finals here, but the *radio* is like ten seconds behind
| the broadcast video. Don't know wassup with that, if the league is
| responsible, or what.
|
| J.

Might be the tape delay radio stations use in case a naughty word comes out!

That sounds plausible for live broadcasts of excited people. Live video
feeds often now get the same treatment to protect us against a 'wardrobe
malfunction'.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old June 14th 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
JXStern

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 18:55:13 -0500, Jer wrote:

Richard Harison wrote:
"JXStern" wrote in message
| On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:56:11 -0400, "L Alpert"
| wrote:
|
| It's actually a feature. Every show is turned into a Bruce
| Lee/Godzilla/
| Mothra movie sound track.
|
| Swell.
|
| But the closed captioning can be even further off.
|
| Distantly related, back in the day I used to watch network basketball
| finals, but turned off the network audio and listened to the local
| announcer (Chick Hearn!) call the game. Tried to do it for the
| playoffs and finals here, but the *radio* is like ten seconds behind
| the broadcast video. Don't know wassup with that, if the league is
| responsible, or what.
|
| J.

Might be the tape delay radio stations use in case a naughty word comes out!

That sounds plausible for live broadcasts of excited people. Live video
feeds often now get the same treatment to protect us against a 'wardrobe
malfunction'.

Sure, but both TV and radio need the protection.

When the game moved to the west coast, tv video and radio audio were
in perfect sync, by some coincidence.

Unfortunately, the Lakers were not fully synchronized ...

J.

Old May 12th 16, 10:52 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 10:58:13 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
Anyone have a problem with Verizon Fios HDTV audio out od sync. It is
so bad that it looks like the picture is dubbed liske a foreign film.

YES...I just got 2 DVR
s from FIOS (NOT QUANTUM) and they both have out of sync audio via HDMI (of course) and there is also an audio MUTE delay when you tune into a channel, no audio for 3 seconds