Whistling Labgear DA

Old February 11th 19, 10:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Guest

Default Whistling Labgear DA

Mark Carver wrote (apparently) in uk.tech.digital-tv on Mon 11 Feb 2019
19:27:05:

On 10/02/2019 16:16, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/02/2019 15:02, Mark Carver wrote:

The muxes were pretty poor summertime (well Sept) about 40-45 dBuV
owing to a thick wood the aerial looks through, at present they are
10ish dB better than that. It's a 15 metre run to his bedroom from the
point the aerialĀ* feeder enters the property, (which only has 6ft or
so of feeder to the aerial, so in effect it's acting as a masthead amp.)

I'm getting about 30dB CNR at the bedrooom, and the muxes look awful
(ragged and uneven) on an analyzer, but the telly reports 90/90 on the
silly bargraph thing.

Deffo needs an amp!

CPC said send it back, and they will send me a refund, as long as they
can find a young enough person to verify the fault !

Got him a new one at TLC today, 1x4 and separate VHF/UHF inputs. It's an
overkill, but he reports no whistle (unless he sicks ear right against
it) and it'll be fine for him as he moves up the housing ladder over the
future decades !

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXLDL204.html

I've needed to send a few things back to CPC myself, including an item last
week. They do seem to deal with such things in an easy-going manner and see
the lighter side of things. In 1997-99 I worked round the corner from them,
shocking to realise how long ago that actually is!
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere
Old February 12th 19, 02:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/02/2019 19:27, Mark Carver wrote:

CPC said send it back, and they will send me a refund, as long as they
can find a young enough person to verify the fault !

They're generally very good. When I had all those problems with the
light-sensitive switch last year they swapped it with no argument.

I never got to the bottom of that by the way. Both the original and the
replacement wouldn't work with the load (a mix of sodium, fluorescent,
and LED totaling about 200W, but nor would they work with a test load
comprising one 100W tungsten lamp) but by then I'd built a relay into a
housing and they both worked with that. I'm wondering now if both were
faulty and wouldn't work with anything except a minuscule load. Didn't
thin of that at the time!

Got him a new one at TLC today, 1x4 and separate VHF/UHF inputs. It's an
overkill, but he reports no whistle (unless he sicks ear right against
it) and it'll be fine for him as he moves up the housing ladder over the
future decades !

Maybe you should have kept the whistler for him to use when he's old.

Old February 12th 19, 02:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/02/2019 22:12, Mr Guest wrote:

I used to know a bloke called Earnest Guest. No-one ever invited him to
parties.

Old February 12th 19, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Mr Guest
wrote:
[...]

just after I retired (1996).