Rigger's Diary - hopping mad

Old October 1st 03, 01:27 AM

Default Rigger's Diary - hopping mad

(Warning - long and off-topic)
I've had a mishap. This morning a steel scaffold tube fell across my right
foot. Steel scaffold tubes are very heavy - I can only just lift one - and this
one was travelling quite fast. The pain wasn't too bad at first, although I
felt shocked - a bit nauseous and detached from reality. Over the next few
hours the pain got worse and worse, although I hobbled round until 5pm. When I
got home the pain was terrible, so Hil drove me to Mexborough Montagu Minor
Injuries. I was efficiently triaged, examined, and X-rayed. I had the indignity
of being pushed around in a wheelchair. I had a good look at the X-rays and I
was surprised to see that all the tiny bones in my foot appeared to be intact.
The medics confirmed this, and I was given a support bandage and told to pig
out on painkillers. How those little bones survived I don't know, because
they're only as thick as a pencil.
So I am incapacitated, not a good thing for the self-employed. The strange
thing is I thought it would be a good chance to catch up on the paperwork, but
I just haven't been able to face going into the office this evening.
I just seem to want to lie on the settee feeling sorry for myself. I felt even
more sorry for myself having watch TV for a couple of hours! Good grief! Why do
people pay such vast sums of money for aerials just to watch bilge like this? I
have seen the programme about the black family in London before, and had
developed some slight enthusiasm for it because of the marvelously effete
ticket inspector, but he was hardly featured tonight.
There's one good thing, this incident has broadened my life a bit. Before when
I wanted a beer I had one choice - walk to the crate and get one. Now my
methods of locomotion are many and varied. I can hop, crawl, roll, walk with
one stick, walk with two sticks, or push myself along in my computer chair.
I've discovered that urinating on one's knees is surprisingly difficult, but
urinating on one leg is even worse. I've previously been a major offender in
the 'male inacuracy' department. Now she can't say a thing!

Old October 1st 03, 11:26 AM
Paul Ratcliffe

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:24:26 GMT, sPoNiX wrote:

On 30 Sep 2003 23:27:03 GMT, (Bill) wrote:

I've had a mishap. This morning a steel scaffold tube fell across my right
foot. Steel scaffold tubes are very heavy

Lucky it didn't fall on your head..

Quite, you don't want to damage the scaffold tube do you? :-)
Old October 1st 03, 02:34 PM

Steel scaffold tubes are very heavy

Lucky it didn't fall on your head..

Unlikely it would have done any damage...

I knew I'd come to the wrong place for sympathy . . .

Bill

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted
all other alternatives.
Abba Eban, The Times, 1970.
Old October 1st 03, 03:10 PM
Tony Walton

Bill wrote:
(Warning - long and off-topic)
I've had a mishap. This morning a steel scaffold tube fell across my right
foot.

You must have been putting up one *hell* of a big aerial if you were
attaching it to a scaffold tube.

Sorry to hear about the foot

--
Tony

Old October 1st 03, 03:36 PM
Aztech

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Metatarsals.

Oh dear Bill, it seems you're incapacitated in a different manner than usual
I hope you're back up and running soon enough, maybe this is an opportune time
to start your journal.

Az.

Old October 1st 03, 03:42 PM
Mark Carver

Bill wrote:
(Warning - long and off-topic)
I've had a mishap. This morning a steel scaffold tube fell across my
right foot.

Hit the booze, that way you won't care about, or feel the pain. (Well not
until next morning when your head *and* foot will throb)

But seriously, have a speedy recovery Bill.

Old October 1st 03, 03:43 PM
Aztech

"Tony Walton" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
(Warning - long and off-topic)
I've had a mishap. This morning a steel scaffold tube fell across my right
foot.

You must have been putting up one *hell* of a big aerial if you were
attaching it to a scaffold tube.

Sorry to hear about the foot

Yeah... but did the poor buggers manage to get their aerial? I bet they're
having to put up with the snowy and ghostly images in their midst.

Az.

Old October 1st 03, 03:47 PM
Tony Walton

Bill wrote:

(Warning - long and off-topic)
I've had a mishap. This morning a steel scaffold tube fell across my right
foot.

You must have been putting up one *hell* of a big aerial if you were
attaching it to a scaffold tube.

Sorry to hear about the foot

Yeah... but did the poor buggers manage to get their aerial? I bet they're
having to put up with the snowy and ghostly images in their midst.

I'd assumed that Bill would have selflessly used the few hours until he
was dragged off to orse piddle to put the aerial up :-)

--
Tony