Transmitter info foreign language?

Old October 5th 03, 09:12 PM

Default Transmitter info foreign language?

It would be theoretically possible to re-assemble your Wolfbane table (it
appeared here with a return after every word/number, so your message was almost
long enough to reach from here to Winter Hill) and discover your whereabouts.
But even a one-legged aerial rigger hasn't that much spare time. If you let us
know where you are someone will mst likely have some local knowledge for you.

Where there is no television, the people perish.
- adopted from Proverbs xxix. 18.
Old October 6th 03, 10:53 AM
Fludge

Sorry, my mistake. I live in Bramhall, near Stockport in Cheshire, on a
housing estate, the Ringmore Road. Does this help?

"Fludge" wrote in message
Hi.
I wanted to find out some more about my local transmitter, I used the
recommended tool for digital tv transmitter info, and got this table of
results. I have to admit, being a relative novice, that besides the

bearing
and distance values, I don't have much of a clue what all this means. Is
there anyone out there who can look at a table like this and tell which
transmitter is the best option? It looks like gobbledygook to me. I also
wanted to know, once I had identified a transmitter, if there is a certain
orientation I should be using for my aeriall, in terms of the elements and
whether they should be horizontal or vertical. I really can't gleen
anything much out of this table that would help me check if my aerial is

set
up okay. Can anyone help? Thanks for your further help.

Transmitter
1: BBC
2: Digital 3 & 4
A: SDN
B: BBC
C: Crown Castle
D: Crown Castle
Gp
Pol
OS grid ref.
OD
Field
dBµV/m
Distance
miles
Bearing
degrees
Antenna
(suggestion)

UHF
ERP
AOD
UHF
ERP
AOD
UHF
ERP
AOD
UHF
ERP
AOD
UHF
ERP
AOD
UHF
ERP
AOD

Winter Hill (W)

43
10k
555
40
10k
555
SD660144
438
42
23
319
Amplified extra hi-gain

Emley Moor
52
10k
565
40
10k
565
43
5k
565
46
10k
565
50
10k
565
49
4k
565
SE222128
256
38
26
51
Amplified extra hi-gain

Winter Hill (E)
56
10k
734
66
10k
712
68
5k
712
67
10k
682
60
10k
650
63
10k
650
CD
SD660144
438
38
23
319
Amplified extra hi-gain

Saddleworth
47
40
398
41
40
398
44
40
398
51
40
398
39
40
398
54
40
398
SD987050
347
31
12
25
Amplified extra hi-gain

Sutton Coldfield *
41
8k
395
44
8k
395
47
8k
395
51
8k
395
52
8k
395
55
10k
395
SK113003
169
26
55
166
Amplified extra hi-gain

----

Notes
The results from this predictor should only be used as a rough indication

as
to which transmitters might be available at a specified location. Please
note that the calculations take no account of obstacles in the intervening
terrain (e.g. mountains) or local surroundings (e.g. cities), the
directional radiation patterns of some transmitters (e.g. coastal
restrictions) or sources of interference (e.g. strong adjacents). Where

the
prediction shows a choice of transmitters giving similar field strengths,

it
is usually worth considering the closest first.

Please note that for combined analogue and digital reception the choice of

different aerial or even a different transmitter might be necessary: [Link
to UK analogue TV reception predictor]

[Link to full table of transmitter information]

Transmitter information copyright BBC and ITC 1998-2002. Public domain
information only.

Key: Aerial groups: A 21-37 red, B 35-53 yellow, CD 48-68 green, E 35-68
brown, K 21-48 grey, W 21-68 black; Pol = polarisation (H horizontal, V
vertical); ERP = effective radiated power; AOD = aerial height above
Ordnance Survey datum; OD = site height above datum (metres); Bearing is
from Grid North (Magnetic North is a few degrees West of Grid North -

check
local OS map for present variation and add it to Bearing for precise

compass
direction)

* Transmitters marked with an asterisk are part of a programme of
experimental power increases. Please note that these are liable to revert

lower levels if problems ensue.

Old October 6th 03, 12:00 PM
Phil

"Fludge" wrote in message
[...]

snip

Winter Hill (W)

Aerial group E - UHF channels 35-68

Horizontal polarization (aerial elements horizontal)
SD660144

Transmitter location - nr Bolton
438

Site height (m)
42

Field strength
23

Distance in miles
319

Bearing in degrees
Amplified extra hi-gain

Recommended aerial

Emley Moor
52

Mux 1 UHF channel
10k

Power
565

Aerial Height

Group B

Horizontal
38

Field strength lower than WH
26
51
Amplified extra hi-gain

Winter Hill (E)

snip
CD

UHF group C/D - 48-68

Horizontal
38

FS
23
319
Amplified extra hi-gain

Saddleworth

snip
lower power relay

Vertical pol.
31

Lowest field strength
12
25
Amplified extra hi-gain

Sutton Coldfield *

snip
26

Lowest FS
55
166
Amplified extra hi-gain

The transmitters have been listed in descending order of field
strength, so the first should give you the strongest signal,
assuming no obstructions. However, the Winter Hill West site
only appears to broadcast 2 of the 6 digital multiplexes - I
wonder if this is a mistake?

The usual rough guide is to look at other aerials in your
neighbourhood - what direction, alignment, type (high-gain or
normal). The predictor suggests you are in a low-strength area
and will need a high-gain aerial - almost certainly externally
mounted - and even an amplifier. What is your current set-up?

Old October 6th 03, 02:48 PM

Anyone got local knowledge of Stockport?
Bill
Where there is no television, the people perish.
- adopted from Proverbs xxix. 18.

FA:48 Foreign Language Film DVD Selction! -Ends tonight! +Bunuel boxset APPRIA40WR UK home cinema 0 October 25th 04 07:04 PM
FA:48 Foreign Language Film DVD Selction! ((-Ebay-)) APPRIA40WR UK home cinema 1 October 25th 04 10:37 AM
Where's My Program Guide Info? Von Fourche Tivo personal television 2 May 4th 04 04:22 AM
Transmitter Info Fludge UK digital tv 27 October 15th 03 01:39 AM
SFTV: Upcoming Episode Schedules and News (Sept 21, 2003) Lee Whiteside Satellite tvro 0 September 22nd 03 04:32 AM