Is Sky always going to be in the sky?

Old August 5th 19, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Is Sky always going to be in the sky?

Hmm, I do feel you might struggle if you do a few at the same time.

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 00:36:56 -0000 (UTC), Moomin wrote:

On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 21:06:45 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more
integrated into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear
out and cannot be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

My wife's 'Sky Q box' works from an internet hub. No dish.

Likewise my Amazon box, and the PC I used as a media centre for
several years before it. I can have movies from Amazon or Netflix,
catchup services from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and the "Dave"
group, and I haven't even counted how many live TV and radio channels
from all round the world, in 1920x1080 high resolution where
applicable, and all of it comes down the phone line.

I certainly don't need a satellite dish, and now probably wouldn't
even bother with a Freeview setup if I didn't have one already, and
since all of this is possible at a mere 27Mb/s, and has been since I
had 10Mb/s ADSL, I don't need to wait for gigabit FTTP either.

Rod.

Old August 5th 19, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I can tell even on Virgin that sometimes things are slower somewhere or
other. For example one often finds that part of a page from another server
comes up 401, and needs to be refreshed to get it.
At other times its like lightning, but if you do a speed test its fine in
both cases. Obviously there will be bottlenecks.
I mean if everyone on the planet watches the next moon landing live on the
internet the whole thing would probably fall over.

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message .co.uk...
I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about
feeding it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat
would only work when we all had Gigabit Internet.

The issue is nothing to do with internet speed, but internet capacity.
Sky Q
can stream live from the internet, as can many other devices.

But local broadband is currently designed with a high level of contention,
typically 20:1 to 50:1 so bandwidth is shared. The majority of Openreach
FTTC
cabinets were originally fed by a single gigabit fibre whether they cover
128
or 288 users.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...local-access-m
arket-review-fibre-cost-modelling/annexes/nga-network-cost-documentation.pdf

The DSLAMs can support four or eight GE ports, and the fibre has six
pairs, but BT equipped them minimally. So if all 288 users are online
they get
only 3.5Mb of bandwidth each irrespective of the speed they pay for.

There are also restrictions in the backbone and server farms, the playout
servers can only send streams to so many people simultaneously, after
which
no-one else can watch. Sure you can build more server farms, but they
cost
money to build and run.

Delivering linear TV by UHF or satellite is still much cheaper.

Angus

Old August 5th 19, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 05/08/2019 07:34, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I certainly don't need a satellite dish, and now probably wouldn't
even bother with a Freeview setup if I didn't have one already, and
since all of this is possible at a mere 27Mb/s, and has been since I
had 10Mb/s ADSL, I don't need to wait for gigabit FTTP either.

I can see this eventually going full circle though.

5G Internet could do away with street cabling, be it even fibre?

So we could all be back to antenna fed (just a little one).

--
Adrian C
Old August 5th 19, 09:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 5 August 2019 15:43:51 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
On 05/08/2019 11:20, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

WHilst the Beeb have only done a few programs in 4K (like the cup final), this works just fine on FTTC (~50Mbps, but less than half that required for 4K).

Err, not for full res (3840 x 2160) UHD, you need 36 Mb/s for that
(the Beeb say at least 40 Mb/s). I've measured a rate of 36 when
watching BBC iplayer 'live' UHD. It's a lot less for non real time
streamed stuff though, about 12-15 Mb/s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...al-in-ultra-hd

--
Mark

Before I wired it up the TV did UHD quite happily on 20Mbps Wi-Fi (measured), with just a very occasional half second freeze.
Old August 6th 19, 09:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 05/08/2019 21:23, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2019 15:43:51 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
On 05/08/2019 11:20, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

WHilst the Beeb have only done a few programs in 4K (like the cup final), this works just fine on FTTC (~50Mbps, but less than half that required for 4K).

Err, not for full res (3840 x 2160) UHD, you need 36 Mb/s for that
(the Beeb say at least 40 Mb/s). I've measured a rate of 36 when
watching BBC iplayer 'live' UHD. It's a lot less for non real time
streamed stuff though, about 12-15 Mb/s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...al-in-ultra-hd

Before I wired it up the TV did UHD quite happily on 20Mbps Wi-Fi (measured), with just a very occasional half second freeze.

It wouldn't have been at 3840 at that bit rate though, more likely 2560,
that's how DASH encoding works

Ref https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-uhd_hdr_world_cup_2018

--
Mark
Old August 6th 19, 11:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That is what I heard, so maybe Sky will need to be renamed fibre or in the
us fiber or some other name. Mind you the way stuff is going there will be
little need for tv channels soon.

I suppose they could combine the two words and get Skybre / Skyber. ;-) Can
I trademark that name here and now, in case Sky try to use it ;-)

Old August 6th 19, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_7_]

On 06/08/2019 11:16, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
That is what I heard, so maybe Sky will need to be renamed fibre or in
the us fiber or some other name. Mind you the way stuff is going there
will be little need for tv channels soon.

I suppose they could combine the two words and get Skybre / Skyber. ;-)
Can I trademark that name here and now, in case Sky try to use it ;-)

I know it's tongue-in-cheek but, like most easy-money scams like this,
sadly not.

You cannot validly register a trade mark unless you actually use it in
trade or have a bona fide intention to do so (and can prove it if
challenged).

Old August 6th 19, 12:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

Not if it's coming from the Arizona desert surely :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Old August 6th 19, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY[_2_]

wrote:

I mean if everyone on the planet watches the next moon landing live on the
internet the whole thing would probably fall over.

Depends whether by the time of the next moon landing internet video uses a
multicast transport rather than a separate connection for each user (the
latter requires many copies of the data to be sent, one to each user).