New BBC soap

Old July 20th 19, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default New BBC soap

Bill Wright wrote:

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!
Starting soon on BBC1!

Surely if it was that good, they'd delay it until the launch of britbox?

Anyone else see that being as "successful" as topup TV?
Old July 20th 19, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 20/07/2019 09:53, brightside wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:24:00 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

THE RIGGERS

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

Starting soon on BBC1!

Following on in the footsteps of ‘Doctors’, the new series will have
social justice and gritty story lines at its heart. The cast members
were of course all chosen on talent grounds alone, but by lucky chance
the result is a marvellously diverse ensemble, truly representative of
our wonderfully diverse modern Britain.

The show centres on the lives and loves of a team of South Yorkshire
aerial riggers. The team leader and business owner is ‘Muff’ Muncha, a
formidable lady of Polish origin. Muff has a screen-filling presence
that no-one can ignore. She can beat any of the men she employs at
ladder climbing, aerial rigging, and customer dissing. Muff is married
to Gloria Armstrong, who owns Macho, the female-only gym next door.

Chief rigger is Bonko Aldayo, played by newcomer Abinbolobobo
Bobhinmaaa. Abinbolobobo graduated with honours only last year from the
Nigeria Academy of Dramatic Arts, and now seems set for a glittering
career in UK film, theatre, and television. We’re sure he’ll always be
in work, despite having very little English and being quite ugly.

Bonko’s rival is Alisdair Balfour. Alisdair’s personal quest is to
install more rigs per day than any of the other workers. His attempts to
top the league table provide much of the drama in the series. Because he
is differently abled he has major challenges which he overcomes
heroically. Alisdair’s back story is told in the first episode. Alisdair
is an ardent environmentalist — a wonderful guy — and has real concerns
about saving the planet. In an heroic attempt to prevent a train loaded
with fossil fuel from reaching a power station he had laid on the
railway with his arms and legs across the rails. This didn’t go quite
according to plan. In the first episode of ‘The Riggers’ he is
interviewed for the job of aerial rigger, and in a powerfully dramatic
scene he proves beyond doubt that he can climb ladders despite being
limbless, by screaming repeatedly at Muff, “I can do the job, and if you
don’t give it to me I’ll report you for disability discrimination!” Muff
hugs him and they both cry.

Alisdair has yet to find love, and as the series progresses we see him
attempt to find a partner, “a big strong guy who can haul me onto the
roof!” he jokes. Alisdair is gay, but he doesn’t shout it from the
rooftops.

The customers provide much of the humour and drama in this bitter-sweet
series. Some of them are hard working and well-off, and thus obviously
rather obnoxious. There are also drug addicts and petty criminals, all
of whom the team obviously treat with the greatest respect and help out
in every possible way. In one very touching episode Alisdair allows a
young man who has been thrown out of art school following a
misunderstanding in the toilets to share his tiny one-bedroom flat until
he can get on his feet.

Many of the customers are old and therefore ignorant of the true
realities of life; in fact one elderly man proudly declares that he is
in favour of Brexit. In a series of hard-hitting but at the same time
heart-warming scenes spread over several episodes the riggers come
together as a team and take turns visiting this man until he finally he
sees the truth and shouts “Brexiteers are all stupid!”

THE RIGGERS starts on BBC1 next Wednesday at 1.45pm. Another hit, just
like ‘Doctors’! Don’t miss it!

Who will be providing the incidental / background
non-overpoweringappropriate music?

Glen Campbell?

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Old July 20th 19, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 20/07/2019 01:24, Bill Wright wrote:
THE RIGGERS

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

Starting soon on BBC1!

Following on in the footsteps of ‘Doctors’, the new series will have
social justice and gritty story lines at its heart. The cast members
were of course all chosen on talent grounds alone, but by lucky chance
the result is a marvellously diverse ensemble, truly representative of
our wonderfully diverse modern Britain.

The show centres on the lives and loves of a team of South Yorkshire
aerial riggers. The team leader and business owner is ‘Muff’ Muncha, a
formidable lady of Polish origin. Muff has a screen-filling presence
that no-one can ignore. She can beat any of the men she employs at
ladder climbing, aerial rigging, and customer dissing.* Muff is married
to Gloria Armstrong, who owns Macho, the female-only gym next door.

They could combine it with a 'spot the ball competition', but in
this case, spot the point on the ground where the rigger who
didn't bother with a ladder anchor, hits terra firma.

Old July 20th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 20/07/2019 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Don't you think the name Britbox is naff in the extreme, how many management
meetings and focus groups did it take to come up with that little gem?

Brian

I wonder if we will be able to watch Alf Garnet in full Silly-old-moo
mode, or even the black & white minstrels on this 'channel'.?

Hopefully we will be able to view all the old Doomwatch, and
Tomorrows World broadcasts.

Old July 20th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 20/07/2019 09:53, brightside wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:24:00 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

THE RIGGERS

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

Starting soon on BBC1!

snip

Who will be providing the incidental / background
non-overpoweringappropriate music?

Queen - "Another one bites the dust"
Old July 20th 19, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 20/07/2019 08:44, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/07/2019 in message Bill Wright wrote:

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

I was about to take my specimen of urine to the surgery but I see you've
already taken it :-)

Will the ancient ITV programs still show the original non-PC
adverts though ?.
Old July 20th 19, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Bored again, Bill? ;-)

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 20th 19, 02:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:24:00 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

THE RIGGERS

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

Starting soon on BBC1!

Didn't read any further after the above line.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Old July 20th 19, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
alan_m

On 20/07/2019 09:53, brightside wrote:

Who will be providing the incidental / background
non-overpoweringappropriate music?

It will be Rap (with the silent C)

Old July 20th 19, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:30:20 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I wonder if we will be able to watch Alf Garnet in full Silly-old-moo
mode

That and Steptoe & Son (and Dad's Army perhaps) were about the only
genuinely brilliant TV shows to ever come out of the BBC. They've been
followed by 50 years of ****E.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!