Unseemly truncation of Gentleman Jack

Old June 24th 19, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_5_]

Default Unseemly truncation of Gentleman Jack

On 24/06/2019 07:12, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 24/06/19 02:32, Bill Wright wrote:

What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Bill

Fooooooootball, Bill. The women's England-Cameroons game overran by 10
minutes.

Of course, rather than try to get back on schedule the BBC still
insisted on showing long preview trailers during the breaks between
programmes. If they'd dumped those they could have saved several minutes.

Do you remember the days when the BBC used to cut into football matches
ten minutes after kick-off and similarly miss the beginnings of other
sporting events, all because a live drama had over-run in the studio?

No, me neither.
Old June 24th 19, 10:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Who knows, but even in the analogue days my old Philips N1700 modified to
run at two speeds had to be left to run most of the time if there was any
sport that might over run, it was a given that the BBC would screw up the
schedules for it.

And even then you might miss it because the BBC decided to run the programme
at the published time - but on a different channel to the one advertised
because they chose to continue sport on the published channel (BBC1) and
bump the later scheduled BBC1 programmes onto BBC2.

I wish broadcasters would have a designated channel (maybe a Red Button one)
which is reserved for live events, where they can interrupt and bump each
other to their heart's content in their own little world, while leaving
published scheduled programmes to run at the time stated on the channel
stated.

If they need to bump a programme, it is better to bin it completely on the
scheduled day (replace it by a disposable filler such as Dad's Army) and
re-schedule it for the following week etc where you can add it as a new
event to be recorded, rather than showing it at the wrong time and/or wrong
channel where many recorders will miss it.

Old June 25th 19, 01:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_5_]

On 24/06/2019 22:40, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I think it was in 1980 that the SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy
(live on TV!) pushed all other programming back over an hour and I
consequently missed an episode of Thames TV's "Fox" (which I had been at
pains to set up to be recorded on my VHS machine).

I got the DVDs about 10 years ago and saw it at last. Still can't
understand why such a programme never once got a repeat.

Old June 25th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tuesday, 25 June 2019 01:53:19 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
I think it was in 1980 that the SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy
(live on TV!)

AIUI, it was "as live" with about 10 minutes' delay so the terrorists wouldn't gain intelligence from the broadcast.

Owain

Old June 25th 19, 09:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 24/06/2019 02:32, Bill Wright wrote:
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Don't worry, you didn't miss anything.

We got to watch it because we wanted the news, and the EPG wasn't being
updated so we didn't know how late it was.

Andy
Old June 25th 19, 10:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Johnson[_6_]

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 02:32:48 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

My Panasonic YouView PVR recorded both the Antiques Roadshow and
Gentleman Jack complete, starting them 11 minutes late.