attachment of cable in aerials of the past.

Old August 12th 19, 08:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default attachment of cable in aerials of the past.

I am getting rid of some of my old aerials that are festering away in a
shed. I kept them when I had to remove them from the chimney due to work on
said stack and most were not used any more in any case. Obviously they still
had bits of cable attached.
Looking inside the termination I discovered a whole variety of ways to
connect them, Most seem to be clamping the braid with a U shaped plate and
the inner goes to a standard post with a hole and a screw. However one FM
aerial simply had the coax braid poked in one side of the dipole, twisted
and in a hole with a screw, and the inner to the other, but the most nasty
one was the Jbeams which had a big threaded screw, which screwed into a
threaded hole with a U cut so the coax was laid in it and the screw when
tightened almost flattened it.

All the Jbeams had rusted up too. Not very good!

Antiference were all pretty clean inside and had the u bracket clamp and
you could still undo the screws.

Not having fitted any aerials for some years for obvious reasons I wondered
what was being used these days.

Old August 12th 19, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/08/2019 08:31, Brian Gaff wrote:

...but the most nasty
one was the Jbeams which had a big threaded screw, which screwed into a
threaded hole with a U cut so the coax was laid in it and the screw when
tightened almost flattened it.

No the ideas was to tighten sufficiently but no more. That junction box
included a balun. As long as the installer didn't nick the cap to make
pushing the cable thro the hole easier they never rusted inside. With
the exception of a short production run that had bad plastic that fell
to bits under UV.

Old August 13th 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well a Band three aerial for ITV 405 certainly rusted, but then I did not
fit the cable. The other aerial a Multibeam is still in my loft but its a
group A and probably not ideal for the front room tv, which no longer
exists.

I think the most naff one is one of those FM halo things which seems to have
all its hardware rusted up, but still works, well I still get local FM on
it. I wish I still had kept my Fuba one.