Connect Dell Dimension Laptop to TV

Old August 21st 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop

Default Connect Dell Dimension Laptop to TV

On Aug 18, 4:33 pm, Matt wrote:
Hello. Is it possible to connect my Dell Dimension D620 laptop to my
TV? The laptop has a VGA output on the back, which using the Mobile
Intel 945GM Express video chipset in the laptop allows me to connect
the laptop to a second monitor usually. Can this same VGA output be
used together with the VGA to RCA/s-video converters on Ebay

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-to-TV-Conv...ut-ADAPTER-PC-
TO-
TV_W0QQitemZ270156645821QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41999QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

to export my laptop display to a TV? The only other cable I think I
would need is a male-male s-video cable as the converter above has a
female s-video connector like my TV. Is the s-video connector the
right one to be using or should I be going with the yellow RCA
connector? Whichever I use I will need to buy an male-male cable so I
need to know which will be best.

Kind Regards,

Matt

On my DELL D620 notebook, I use a pr01X dock and connect its S-
video(7pin) via a S-video cable(4pin) to TV, then press Fn|F8 to
switch the int/ext monitor, it works perfect. Note you can only
connect one ext. monitor here is TV. If not sure, use think link
below:
http://www.svideo.com/displayvideo.html

1. As far as your PC has s-video output, you can use similar method w/
o ext. converter. Dock is cheap and convenient and I prefer it. At my
case PC LCD is automatically changed between 1280x720(native) and
1024x768(when toggle to enable TV) when you toggle the mode.
2. If you buy cheapest VGA to video adapter (passive one), you need
extra s/w to reprogramming VGA controller otherwise it won't work.
3. you can buy active adapter (with chip in), costy and may not
support your native resolution if it is very high (say beyond
1024x768)
4. Some VGA controller is able to do s/w reprogramming as required in
entry 2. Say you can try ATI/Nvidia s/w, provided the the h/w has s-
video socket.
5. for seven pin S-video, two wirings are popular: ATI uses top as CV,
CV-GND is the one near old GND; the other wiring is top is NULL, near
old GND is CV, the last pin is CV-GND. No matter how, they are
compatible with 4pin S-video, and the extra 3pins are CV,CV-GND, NULL.
I hope my this close this case.

Old August 21st 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
Barry Watzman

Re-Read the post: HE IS GOING TO USE AN EXTERNAL CONVERTER. Yes, it
will probably work. The converter is not just a "cable", it's a active
electronic circuit (quite complex, actually) made for just what he wants
to do.

To the OP: It will probably work, but note the input resolution
requirements of the VGA to RCA/S-Video converter. It may require that
you drop the resolution down as low as 640x480.

Resident Drunk wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

Personally I don't think this will work - certainly not out of the box.
A VGA port sends the signal in RGB format, not S-Video/SVHS.

You may have some joy with the composite/RCA feed but you will have to
generate TV-suitable frequencies. I would imagine on XP, if your card is
supported you would need Powerstrip for this (it is quite easy under
Linux if your card supports generation of non-VGA modes).

A VGA to RGB-Scart is quite simple to make if your TV has RGB-in (and
again if your card can generate TV friendly frequencies).

Old August 21st 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
Paul

Resident Drunk wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

There is mention of TV capability in the specs for the D620, but no
mention of whether the signals travel as an overlay on the VGA connector
or not. The chipset has current mode drive for the VGA and TV signals.
I don't see a DIN connector on the laptop, and there is no purpose in
listing the TV capability, if it "cannot get out" of the box.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/UG/specs.htm

"TV support: NTSC or PAL in S-video and composite modes."

Paul
Old August 22nd 07, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
Resident Drunk[_2_]

Barry Watzman wrote:
Re-Read the post: HE IS GOING TO USE AN EXTERNAL CONVERTER. Yes, it
will probably work. The converter is not just a "cable", it's a
active electronic circuit (quite complex, actually) made for just
what he wants to do.

Any chance you can show me where, in this :

http://tinyurl.com/23thob

- they have hidden A COMPLEX ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT? It's just to me it
looks like a cable with molded plugs on each end and the few converters
I have used over the years including the Creative one I am looking at
now are about the size of 2 cigarette packets and require an external
power supply. I'm fascinated how they have managed to miniaturize all
those components into a molded plug, sell it for a couple of pounds AND
do away with the power supply.

Thanks
Old August 22nd 07, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
Richard Crowley[_2_]

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message

Barry Watzman wrote:
Re-Read the post: HE IS GOING TO USE AN EXTERNAL CONVERTER. Yes,
it
will probably work. The converter is not just a "cable", it's a
active electronic circuit (quite complex, actually) made for just
what he wants to do.

Any chance you can show me where, in this :

http://tinyurl.com/23thob

- they have hidden A COMPLEX ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT? It's just to me it
looks like a cable with molded plugs on each end and the few
converters I have used over the years including the Creative one I am
looking at now are about the size of 2 cigarette packets and require
an external power supply. I'm fascinated how they have managed to
miniaturize all those components into a molded plug, sell it for a
couple of pounds AND do away with the power supply.

The photo clearly shows a passive circuit device.
Of course, it requires you to run your computer
video at a size and timing compatible with PAL
(or NTSC, etc.) since there is no scan-conversion
going on.

You will have to determine whether you can switch
your computer to run at that size/timing combo.
I wouldn't bet on it, especially laptop computers.
But you might get lucky, who knows.

Old August 22nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
Resident Drunk[_2_]

Barry Watzman wrote:
[...]

Erm...

Which is what I said 3 messages ago.
Old August 22nd 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 18, 6:33 pm, Matt wrote:
[...]

It should work, but be very careful of the quality of the VGA to NTSC
converter. Many are junk and create lousy video. Don't get the
cheapest one you can find and try to find a brand name unit.

Old August 23rd 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
tonsofpcs

On Aug 22, 8:23 pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
Ok, I'll partially take back what I said.

THAT ONE has no active electronics and MAY not do what he want.

But something like this:

will.

Uh.... Sorry, but no. That goes the wrong way.

Old August 25th 07, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.video.desktop
ThePunisher

Matt wrote:
On Aug 19, 2:59 pm, "ThePunisher" wrote:
Matt wrote:

To play DVD's from my laptop on my TV as my DVD player is playing
up.

Matt

Just buy an older dvd player from ebay.

--
ThePunisher

I'd like the option to play some old RTS games like RA2 on it as well.

You won't be playing that on your TV using your laptop.

--
ThePunisher