My TV just died ......

Old January 11th 04, 08:45 PM
Ramases

Default My TV just died ......

Hi All

My 5 year old Philips w/s TV has just died. I wasn't in the room, but there
is a smell of burning and the set it emitting a "chirping" sound. Does
anyone know what this is likely to be and what it might cost for repair. I
was hoping it'd keep going for another year or two so I could get a plasma,
so if it is not going to be too expensive I'll get it fixed - otherwise it's
the tip and a new CRT (her indoors won't release funds for a plasma right
now grin !).

--
Watch out for the spamtrap

Old January 11th 04, 10:27 PM
Cubzilla

is a smell of burning and the set it emitting a "chirping" sound. Does
anyone know what this is likely to be and what it might cost for repair. I

Do you have a budge, have you seen it recently ?

LOL

Old January 14th 04, 02:59 AM
R. Mark Clayton

"Ramases" wrote in message
Hi All

My 5 year old Philips w/s TV has just died. I wasn't in the room, but

there
is a smell of burning and the set it emitting a "chirping" sound. Does
anyone know what this is likely to be and what it might cost for repair. I
was hoping it'd keep going for another year or two so I could get a

plasma,
so if it is not going to be too expensive I'll get it fixed - otherwise

it's
the tip and a new CRT (her indoors won't release funds for a plasma right
now grin !).

--
Watch out for the spamtrap

Bit vague on the old symptoms.

You need to do a bit of fault analysis: -

1. No sound or vision on any channel nor any LED's etc. illuminated
consider power supply.

2. Sound or vision, but only on external inputs
consider tuner

3. Sound, but no vision
HT

4. Vertical line
line output

5. Horizontal line
frame output

The chirping could be the main power supply "crowbarring" (blown tantalum
capacitor)or line or frame output transformers internally shorted. Tube is
very unlikely these days.

Give us a few more symptoms.

Cost

Try and get a no cure no pay repair place to give you a quote.

Whether it is worth trying to repair depends on the size and where it was in
the range.

A top of the range 36" is ~£1,400 new.

A low end 28" only a few hundred.

So a small naf one is probably not worth repairing, but a big fancy one
probably is.

Old January 14th 04, 09:24 AM
Ramases

Thanks for the advice Mark. Looks like it was that capacitor. Getting it
fixed yesterday along with a few dry joints resoldered cost £50. I'm quite
happy with that - so I'll keep saving for the plasma / LCD panel grin !!

Thanks again.

--
Watch out for the spamtrap