Videocipher

Old November 16th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Stephen Smith

Default Videocipher

The model of the box should say HD - like 8000HD. If your 5000 doesn't say
HD, then it won't get HD. Geesh - go look it up on ebay or even at
coolsat's website if this is the make you want.

Steve

"root" wrote in message
Stephen Smith wrote:
Any FTA HD box will get most of the FTA HD out there. No, you won't get
dish HD, but I don't pirate so it doesn't matter to me anyway.

There are a few good ones. many will not do S2, which opens the door to
more channels.

Steve

Please be more specific, give me an example of the boxes your
are talking about. Is the Coolsat 5000 such an FTA box?

Old November 16th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Stephen Smith

One that I recommend because it works with almost any FTA receiver is the
BSC621. there are two models, you want the -1 rather than the -2 in case
you wanna use this piggy backed from the FTA to your CBand analog receiver.
The -1 uses a standard LO for Ku rather than the universal one. The
standard Ku LO is 10750 and this is what your analog reciever will want to
use. They both work the same. They use 22Khz signal from the receiver to
switch from Ku to C band. As long as your dish is in good shape it will
work great for Ku and no more rain fade! The snow doesn't effect it as much
either because ot the higher gain to the dish. If it is a solid dish, you
will have to brush it out occassionally when it's snowing on it. mesh
dishes generally let the snow fall thru or you can just bump on the dish
once in a while to get rid of the snow.

That's the combo LNB I was referring to. There are others, but that one
works like a dream and many people use it with no issues. the dish
alignment has to be exactly spot on though.

S2 is a format for DVB. Some of the newer boxes support S2 as well as
MPEG4/HD. Getting one will get the most channels possible and if youre
going to get a new FTA box, might as well spend the extra and go HD - you
won't regret that. Espeically if you are going to use CBand as most of that
is HD now.

Steve

"Jim" wrote in message
What is a Combo LNBF? Does that fit on the feedhorn of
a C-Band dish, where can I more info? What is S2 you talk about?

Do you keep the C-Band LNA or toss it and just put the Combo LNBF
in it's place? I'm interested in upgrading my BUD. thanks...

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:33:51 -0500, "Stephen Smith"
wrote:

Why not get an FTA box for a hundred bucks. Use the positioner to move
the
old dish and watch literally hundreds and hundreds of channels for free in
full digital. With the right FTA box, most CBand digital is even HD!
Better quality than cable OR pay satellite as it's right from the
sourcees.
Also, there are still syndicated television shows aired in analog on three
of the sats just like before in the old days. CBand is NOT dead, but
getting better! Use that old dish - get a newer combo LNBF and an FTA box
and have some fun watching television again! The old dish rotting in the
yard CAN be repaired pretty easily. If you're a sports nut, there is more
sports on satellite for free than the networks and cable put together can
offer you.

Steve

"MURS Radios" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 12:28 pm, paultry wrote:
MURS Radios wrote:
I have an old "chipped" Videocipher II box with a 1988 manufacture
date that has been sitting on my shelves gathering dust for years (I
original picked up the thing used in 1994).

I also have a fushia VCII-RS box somewhere too that I bought new in
1995.

I pretty much stopped using this stuff in 1997... and the C-band dish
is simply rotting away in the back yard.

Are these things worth ANYTHING? I'm getting ready to throw the VCII
box in the garbage right now.

- Stewart

VCII authorizations are scheduled to end on 12/31/2008.
After that, absent any fixed mode VCII broadcasts, the VCII
modules will have only sentimental value.

Wow - "the bitter end".

I'm gonna chuck the VCII right now - somebody else can donate theirs
(and their equipment) to a museum someday... I will chuck my VCII-RS &
receivers & positioners &tc. whenever I come across them in the attic
of my 2nd house some day.

Thanks for the info,

- Stewart

Old November 16th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Jim[_12_]

Stephen;

I still don't quite understand about FTA on the big dish. Let me
explain what I have now, and then maybe you can suggest the way for me
to go.

Now I have a 10 foot mesh dish, with C and KU LNB's coming in on
two separate coaxes to the Uniden Receiver, but I have a brand new
unused NExtWave receive still in the box to replace the Uniden, which
is kind of awkward setting up for both C/Ku use. I almost never use
the big dish at this time.

I also have two Pansat 2700's, on two 85 cm solid dishes with
rotators, one used mainly for FTA on G25 with a Universal 2 LNBF, and
the other is set up for Nimiq 1, Echo 8 and Echo 7.

Please advise which way you would go to add the FTA, S2 and MPeg4 HD
with the big dish. I understand from reading this group that there
is lots of FTA stuff available on C band also.

Thanks for your advice,

Jim

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:59:29 -0500, "Stephen Smith"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old November 16th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
paultry

Jim wrote:
I also have two Pansat 2700's.....
the other is set up for Nimiq 1, Echo 8 and Echo 7.

Why would you have a FTA receiver pointed to those birds?
Most everything there is Nagravision encrypted, which is not
Free to Air.
Old November 17th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

On Nov 16, 3:27*pm, paultry wrote:
Jim wrote:

I also have two Pansat 2700's.....

the other is set up for Nimiq 1, Echo 8 and Echo 7.

Why would you have a FTA receiver pointed to those birds?
Most everything there is Nagravision encrypted, which is not
Free to Air.

Now paultry if he has not "reflashed" his boxes they dont know of any
encrypted nagravision, he added he did not pirate soo he gets true fta
on his 2700s even though they are dvb compliant
Old November 17th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

Now Paultry if he has not "reflashed" his boxes they dont know of any
encrypted nagravision, he added he did not pirate soo he gets true fta
on his 2700s even though they are dvb n2 compliant
Here is a list of FTA birds just because they will work on most
systems doesnt imply they are only used for encrypted nagravision
Those satellites are old but not out of date they just have their
names changed

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Satellites/Satellite-List.htm

I'll fetch you a sommary of them just keep in mind if they are not
3degrees apart then they are the same bird just called something
else!!
Old November 17th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

Now Paultry if he has not "reflashed" his boxes they dont know of any
encrypted nagravision, he added he did not pirate soo he gets true fta
on his 2700s even though they are dvb n2 compliant
Here is a list of FTA birds just because they will work on most
systems does't imply they are only used for encrypted nagravision
Those satellites are old but not out of date they just have their
names changed if they are being used by another provider they rent the
transponders out to whoever

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Satellites/Satellite-List.htm

I'll fetch you a sommary of them just keep in mind if they are not
3degrees(a federal requirement) apart then they are the same bird just
called something
else,example anik-3/echo7/echo9-13 they are all one in the same!!

select a bird and then view of earth it will give you its coordinates

http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html
Old November 17th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

Now Paultry if he has not "reflashed" his boxes they dont know of any
encrypted nagravision, he added he did not pirate soo he gets true
fta
on his 2700s even though they are dvb n2 compliant
Here is a list of FTA birds just because they will work on most
systems does't imply they are only used for encrypted nagravision
Those satellites are old but not out of date they just have their
names changed if they are being used by another provider they rent
the
transponders out to whoever

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Satellites/Satellite-List.htm

I'll fetch you a sommary of them just keep in mind if they are not
2 degrees(a federal requirement) apart, then they are the same bird
just
called something else,example anik-F3/echo7 they are one in the

Old November 17th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

Now Paultry if he has not "reflashed" his boxes they dont know of any
encrypted nagravision, he added he did not pirate soo he gets true
fta on his 2700s even though they are dvb n2 compliant
Here is a list of FTA birds just because they will work on most
systems does't imply they are only used for encrypted nagravision
Those satellites are old but not out of date they just have their
names changed if they are being used by another provider they rent
the transponders out to whoever

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Satellites/Satellite-List.htm

I'll fetch you a sommary of them just keep in mind if they are not
2 degrees(a federal requirement) apart, then they are the same bird
just called something else,example anik-F3/echo7 they are one in the
same!!

select a bird and then view of earth it will give you its coordinates

http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html

FTA is here to stay
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.d...s+here+to+stay
Old November 20th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-di...ultiple_access