Best Buy Dumps all Analog TVs...

Old October 19th 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Jim

Default Best Buy Dumps all Analog TVs...

Friday, October 19 2007, @ 1:09 PM (-0700 GMT)

They announced this on loacal TV yesterday in O.C. CA They'll only
sell flat screen and HD sets from now on.

Old October 20th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Mark A[_2_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message news:elmop-
They'll also sell non-HD sets.

Remember, they've committed to stop selling analog TVs. So now they'll
sell only TVs with digital tuners. That does NOT mean they'll sell only
HD sets.

It also doesn't mean they won't sell CRTs.

The confusion amongst the public is rampant. Digital does not equal HD,
and digital does not equal flat panel.

The OP never claimed they would only sell HD sets. They said flat screen and
HD sets.

Old October 20th 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Rick Evans[_2_]

Jim wrote:

It also doesn't mean they won't sell CRTs.

The confusion amongst the public is rampant. Digital does not
equal HD,
and digital does not equal flat panel.

This week local news Channel 4 in Boston decided to add to
or exploit the confusion by telling its viewers they would
ALL need HD TVs starting in February 2009; a blatant lie.
They have yet to acknowledge my email criticizing their
story.

--
Rick Evans
Lon -71 04'

Old October 20th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
pete

Jim wrote:

It also doesn't mean they won't sell CRTs.

The confusion amongst the public is rampant. Digital does not equal HD,
and digital does not equal flat panel.

This week local news Channel 4 in Boston decided to add to
or exploit the confusion by telling its viewers they would
ALL need HD TVs starting in February 2009; a blatant lie.
They have yet to acknowledge my email criticizing their
story.

And, it gets worse.

The majority of our friends confuse digital (ATSC/OTA) with digital
transmission over cable and with the all-digital claims of Dish and DTV.
First attempt to help caused enough hostility that I don't admit to
any knowledge on the subject.

Our local PBS station further confuses folk, using two different content
feeds. One for its ATSC transmitter and another for its NTSC broadcast.
(Fortunately, community insurrection was avoided when they did a
simulcast of Ken Burns, /The War/ over both transmitters.)

Maybe there's a profit opportunity here. How about a book: "Digital TV
and HD for Dummies" ???

Sequel would be, "DRM, and Intel's HDCP -- for Idiots." :-|

Follow on would be, "Selling HDMI cables for fun and profit."

--
pete#2
Old October 20th 07, 07:27 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Bill R

Pete wrote:

Maybe there's a profit opportunity here. How about a book: "Digital TV
and HD for Dummies" ???

--
pete#2

There was one several years ago. I can't remember the exact title but
is was something similar to the title you posted. I have a copy of it
somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.
--
Bill R.

Remove nospam_ in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
Old October 20th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Richard C.

"Jim" wrote in message
Friday, October 19 2007, @ 1:09 PM (-0700 GMT)

They announced this on loacal TV yesterday in O.C. CA They'll only
sell flat screen and HD sets from now on.

===================
Not true.
They still sell digital SD sets.
They likely will continue to do so.
Go look.

Old October 20th 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Bert Hyman

In "Richard C."
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
Friday, October 19 2007, @ 1:09 PM (-0700 GMT)

They announced this on loacal TV yesterday in O.C. CA They'll only
sell flat screen and HD sets from now on.

===================
Not true.
They still sell digital SD sets.
They likely will continue to do so.
Go look.

The OP simply made the common error of equating digital TV with HD-TV.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 20th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Mark A[_2_]

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
The OP simply made the common error of equating digital TV with HD-TV.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

The OP just quoted a published story. I don't doubt the accuracy of it. They
may in fact only sell flat screen sets (all of which are digital) and HD
sets (which could be tube or flat panel).

Of course there are several different flat panel technologies, some of which
are not exactly flat.

Old October 20th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Mark A[_2_]

"Richard C." wrote in message
Not true.
They still sell digital SD sets.
They likely will continue to do so.
Go look.

A digital set is by definition a flat panel, since a tube (CRT) is an analog
device.

Nobody said they stop selling SD flat panel (digital) sets.

Old October 21st 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007, 10:07am (EDT-3) (Pete) wrote:

The confusion amongst the public is rampant. Digital
does not equal HD, and digital does not equal flat
panel.

And, it gets worse.
The majority of our friends confuse digital (ATSC/OTA)
with digital transmission over cable and with the
all-digital claims of Dish and DTV.

Here are two more things that people aren't being told:

1) Most stations are not really located on the virtual channel numbers
indicated by digital tuners.

2) At present there are no plans for set-top digital-to-analog
converter boxes to support BTSC audio, so no stereo and no SAP.

No more ANALog? Jorabi Satellite tvro 24 August 7th 07 01:34 AM
ABC Analog Gone Again Micro Henry Satellite tvro 9 June 21st 07 09:43 PM
analog on KU? rose Satellite tvro 8 February 9th 04 05:59 AM
Seeking eprom dumps from old irds. [email protected] Satellite tvro 4 September 10th 03 04:18 AM
Seeking eprom dumps from old irds. [email protected] Satellite tvro 0 September 7th 03 04:22 PM