Aspect ratio

Old January 30th 11, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick

Default Aspect ratio

I saw this question asked on another NG, however it never received any kind
of explanation, so as I'm also curious as to the reason I thought that this
might be a more appropriate group to ask.
Does anyone know why even some of the larger American broadcasters like CNN,
CNBC etc, as well other broadcasters such as Aljazeera still insist on
broadcasting in 4:3 in the 21st century? especially when, as far as I'm
aware, the BBC started 16:9 transmissions as far back as 1998 with BBC
Choice.

Old January 30th 11, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Rick wrote:
I saw this question asked on another NG, however it never received any
kind of explanation, so as I'm also curious as to the reason I thought
that this might be a more appropriate group to ask.
Does anyone know why even some of the larger American broadcasters like
CNN, CNBC etc, as well other broadcasters such as Aljazeera still
insist on broadcasting in 4:3 in the 21st century? especially when, as
far as I'm aware, the BBC started 16:9 transmissions as far back as 1998
with BBC Choice.

It's partly because when DVB services started up in Europe twelve or so years
ago, the UK, and notably the Beeb, opted to commence anamorphic 16:9
transmissions in SD, and not wait until HD.

In the US 16:9 broadcasting has only really launched on HD broadcasts. You
won't find it on their SD broadcasts.

Al Jazeera's English language channel does actually work in 16:9 (and HD)
internally, it is presented as a 14:9 letterbox within a SD 4:3 signal on its
broadcasts however, I don't know why it hangs on to that still ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old January 30th 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mark, however I don't understand why they still bother to transmit in
4:3 when they must know that the majority of their audience are going to be
watching on widescreen TVs.
I note that France 24 and Euronews have recently gone widescreen and was
hoping that it was a trend that might catch on.

Old January 30th 11, 06:06 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jerry[_4_]

"Rick" wrote in message

snip
: Does anyone know why even some of the larger American
broadcasters like CNN,
: CNBC etc, as well other broadcasters such as Aljazeera still
insist on
: broadcasting in 4:3 in the 21st century?

Because their business accountants have working brain cells I
suspect!

Those channels you cite are in business to deliver information,
not entertainment, one can inform just as well via a 4:3 picture
ratio as a 16:9, there simply isn't the same need as found with
entertainment channels - it is noticeable that that bastion of
"info-tainment", FOX News, has gone both HD and WS, 'nough
said...

Didn't BBC television news go fully colour very late, unlike
drama and entertainment?
--
Regards, Jerry.

Old January 30th 11, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Rick wrote:
[...]

I have no information on this, but perhaps they wish to provide a
service to all of their audience, not just the majority.

I note that France 24 and Euronews have recently gone widescreen and was
hoping that it was a trend that might catch on.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 30th 11, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jerry[_4_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
: Maybe they just like it....
: Old gear, we must get away from the throw away society!
:

Indeed, we - the end-user/consumer - must stop failing for the
sales spiel every time the television trade announce new
technology, the last innovation to write home about was colour
and then Betamax/VHS home video recording, everything since has
been designed to get us to spend more money, the DVD [1], WS, HD
(together with BD) and now 3D...

[1] I will accept that the random access with optical disc is an
improvement on the linier access of magnetic tape
--
Regards, Jerry.

Old January 30th 11, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Peter Duncanson wrote:

Thanks Mark, however I don't understand why they still bother to transmit in
4:3 when they must know that the majority of their audience are going to be
watching on widescreen TVs.

I have no information on this, but perhaps they wish to provide a
service to all of their audience, not just the majority.

But if they broadcast in widescreen the people with widescreen sets
could watch in widescreen and those with 4:3 could watch in whatever
mode they preferred to see a 16:9 broadcast on a 4:3 screen. That's how
it works with all the other channels. So they would be providing a
service for all of their audience, not just the majority.

Old January 30th 11, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jerry[_4_]

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

:
: I have no information on this, but perhaps they wish to provide
: service to all of their audience, not just the majority.
:

The wide-screen aspect radio(s), like colour, were designed to be
backwards compatible, many people in the UK are watching native
16:9 content on 4:3 sets, just like many people carried on
watching via B&W sets long after the full colour television
service had started...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Old January 30th 11, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jerry[_4_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

snip
: But if they broadcast in widescreen the people with widescreen
sets
: could watch in widescreen and those with 4:3 could watch in
whatever
: mode they preferred to see a 16:9 broadcast on a 4:3 screen.
That's how
: it works with all the other channels. So they would be
providing a
: service for all of their audience, not just the majority.
:

What, can't your WS sets display a 4:3 picture, do tell us the
make so that we can all avoid such a crappy manufacturer...
--
Regards, Jerry.

What aspect ratio is this? [email protected] High definition TV 8 March 15th 09 10:09 PM
Aspect ratio Mike Ruskai Tivo personal television 2 August 4th 08 07:32 AM
Aspect Ratio....? ADVID UK digital tv 2 January 30th 07 03:28 PM
Aspect Ratio 4:3 or 16:9 Matt High definition TV 10 December 19th 05 10:15 PM
Aspect Ratio Roger UK home cinema 6 November 10th 04 09:45 PM