Panasonic IDTV doesn't always record to Panasonic video

Old September 16th 03, 06:26 PM
Andrew V.

Default Panasonic IDTV doesn't always record to Panasonic video

Hi,

I have a Panasonic TX-28DT30 TV and a Panasonic NV-HS830B VCR. As far
as I can tell, they are connected and configured correctly.

If I press the direct TV record button, the video recorder correctly
records what is on the TV (digital or analogue). If I use the timer
function on the TV to control the video (which is the only way to
access all the channels), it sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't do
anything.

Frustratingly, if I program it, switch it all off as though I were
going out then sit and watch, it works, but if I actually go out, I
come back to find it hasn't taped. Is the VCR going into some kind of
sleep mode if it is left for a long time that the TV can't get it out
of? But surely it's doing the exact same thing as when I press the
"direct TV record" button (i.e. giving the video an AV signal and
saying "record this").

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thank you,

Andrew
Old September 16th 03, 07:16 PM
Bryan Jones

"Andrew V." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Could it be that when you are in pretending to be out, you put it on standby
and when you are out, you power it off?

Bryan

Old December 21st 03, 01:27 PM
Richard Wein

From: Andrew V. )
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 2003-09-16 09:26:03 PST

[...]

I have exactly the same problem, using the same TV and a Panasonic DMR-E50
DVD recorder. I'm almost convinced that it's a software bug, but Panasonic
customer support disclaims any knowledge of it. I'm pleased to know now that
I'm not alone!

At first I suspected that the problem might be a fault in the DVD recorder
or the connection between recorder and TV. But I believe the following
evidence rules this out. Two minutes before beginning a timed recording of a
digital channel, the TV "locks" the tuner to the channel in question. This
is indicated by a yellow light on the front panel (if the TV is in standby)
or a warning message on the screen (if the TV is on). These indications
occur even if the DVD recorder is disconnected or unable to record. However,
on those occasions when a timed recording has failed and I've been at home
to observe what happens, neither of these indications has occurred. This
demonstrates that the TV has not even attempted to record the programme.
Furthermore, if I display the timer programming page when a recording has
failed to begin but before the end time of the recording, I can still see
the programmed recording and check that I had set it up correctly, thus
ruling out a user error in setting up the recording.

Although the TX-28DT30 is in some ways a fine device, I have experienced a
number of annoying problems with it, besides this one. Reporting these
problems to Panasonic customer support, by email or phone, has been an
intensely frustrating experience, as emails often go unanswered, and
replies--when they are forthcoming at all--are almost invariably
uninformative. It is clear that the customer support staff know very little
about the subject and that Panasonic does not maintain an effective log of
reported problems. Nor is there any sort of FAQ on their web site.
Effectively, customers are on their own. For this reason, I would like to
create a mailing list for owners of the TX-28DT30 (and similar models) where
we can compare notes and perhaps--by dint of numbers--get some more useful
response from Panasonic. Anyone interested in joining such a list can email
me at (please delete the text
"_delete-this-part", which is an anti-spam device).

Good luck!

Richard Wein.