Nothing worth bothering about on tv

Old August 22nd 19, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Nothing worth bothering about on tv

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 14:49:00 +0100, Tufnell Park
wrote:

On 21/08/2019 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm too much of a scrooge to subscribe for Telly stuff myself, If there
was
a family with diverse interests, then fine but for me, nah..
I also feel that for us older folk who have enquiring minds there is a
tendency for many programs to be simply retreads of better but older
alternatives we have seen. I think there may well be a need for more
technical programming. Maybe there is something like this on Youtube
but
sadly not much audio description on that.
I'd like a very detailed look into semiconductor design and
manufacture,
or how polymer batteries are made, or perhaps more technical
descriptions of
the data collected in space missions.
Brian

You can get those type of programmes on Sky satellite tv, Discovery
Channels, National Geographic, PBS America, i watch those from time to
time but you would have to subscribe and it's probably not worth it for
you.

PBS America is on Freeview. Most of the programmes seem to be old BBC
ones.

No they aren't

it shows an awful lot of HBO content

tim

--
Dave W

Old August 22nd 19, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 21/08/2019 14:44, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm sure that has been on before

it has, but I missed it

come to that I missed E1-3 of this set of repeats

tim

they are all on the iPlayer, if you use the A-Z option
after choosing BBC4
Old August 22nd 19, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

I used to get all that info from a glossy mag called Scientific
American, but if you cannot see the diagrams and annotations,
that's no use to you.

On 21/08/2019 14:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm not sure they would be in depth enough explaining doping and the
different diffusion techniques etc.

Old August 22nd 19, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 21/08/2019 14:44, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm sure that has been on before

it has, but I missed it

come to that I missed E1-3 of this set of repeats

tim

they are all on the iPlayer, if you use the A-Z option
after choosing BBC4

of course they are

watching stuff on iPlayer sucks YMMV

tim

Old August 22nd 19, 06:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 14:25:33 +0100 Indy Jess John
posted:

On 21/08/2019 12:19, Andrew wrote:
On 21/08/2019 09:41, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:47:20 +0100, "Brian
wrote:

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Tried BBC 4?

+1

Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good, though
the credits say PBS and not BBC.

snip
I tuned into BBC4 last night to watch how to see a Black Hole, only to
find it had been replaced by repeats of Peaky Blinders.

P*ss-ups and Breweries come to mind!

Jim

So that is how come I had recordings of Peaky Blinders on my Humax. I
thought I had some how cocked up although I was not sure how I could
have made such an obvious mistake.
Old August 23rd 19, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I remember reading about doping in a Mullard booklet about these
newfandangled transistor thingys while I was at school in the 1960s.
In order to illustrate the concentration of the doping elements, which
it said was about one part in fifty million, it said "Imagine a
country the size of Great Britain, with just one foreigner".

It's a great simile. I find it very easy to imagine the concentration
in these terms, much easier in fact than to imagine anyone getting
away with writing something like that today.

Rod.

Old August 23rd 19, 04:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 21/08/2019 09:41, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:47:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to
tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all
rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Tried BBC 4?

+1

Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good,

But not without unnecessary hyperbole.

"The basic telescope was invented due to a *revolution* in science"

Um no, it came about because someone discovered that they could make simple
optical glass.

Hardly a revolutionary invention.

tim

Old August 23rd 19, 05:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/08/2019 16:58, tim... wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message

Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good,

But not without unnecessary hyperbole.

"The basic telescope was invented due to a *revolution* in science"

Um no, it came about because someone discovered that they could make
simple optical glass.

Hardly a revolutionary invention.

I'm not convinced that transparent glass wasn't invented until c15 or
whenever he said; didn't the Romans make fine glass vessels?

Since the first telescopes used concave eyepieces it might have needed
the use of concave lenses to correct short sight to lead to their
invention, if the story of people in a optician's shop is to be
believed. Why would people bother to make concave lenses that just made
things /smaller/?

What I don't understand is why it didn't occur to people to make
telescopes with two convex lenses - as later astronomical refractors
used in a much superior design. You just need lenses with greatly
different focal lengths. Maybe people tried and were put off by the
inverted image produced, though I would have thought people would have
noted the phenomenon.

--
Max Demian
Old August 23rd 19, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good,

But not without unnecessary hyperbole.

It does also contain some 'blurred' explanations in a few places. Overall,
good though.

Jim