Is Sky always going to be in the sky?

Old August 6th 19, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Is Sky always going to be in the sky?

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 10:40:51 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is what I heard, so maybe Sky will need to be renamed fibre or in the
us fiber or some other name. Mind you the way stuff is going there will be
little need for tv channels soon.
Brian

Fibre Universal

$ky Satellite and now FU too!

"Moomin" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 21:06:45 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more
integrated into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear
out and cannot be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

My wife's 'Sky Q box' works from an internet hub. No dish.

Old August 6th 19, 09:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 05/08/2019 18:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is what I heard, so maybe Sky will need to be renamed fibre

You mean the way carphone warehouse changed their name?

Andy
Old August 7th 19, 09:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I can do as many things as I need to at the same time, e.g. checking
some detail on IMDB on a laptop or Whatsapp messages on a phone while
watching a programme via a streaming service on the TV. Occasionally
I've done these things while forgetting that I'm downloading something
really big like a Linux distribution despite it showing on the task
manager as using the entire download bandwidth. Presumably streaming
video is given a higher priority because I've never noticed any
interruption when I do something else such as described above at the
same time. Everything just works. If anybody tried to convince me that
I needed to pay for some new superduper fibre service because 27Mb/s
wasn't enough, I'd be interested to hear their argument but it's
unlikely I'd be persuaded.

Technical measurements can be useful, but in deciding whether some
system or piece of equipment is suitable for my purposes,
"engineering by numbers" is not a complete answer. In the end it boils
down to what the equipment can actually do in practice.

Rod.

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 18:13:44 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Hmm, I do feel you might struggle if you do a few at the same time.

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 00:36:56 -0000 (UTC), Moomin wrote:

On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 21:06:45 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more
integrated into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear
out and cannot be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

My wife's 'Sky Q box' works from an internet hub. No dish.

Likewise my Amazon box, and the PC I used as a media centre for
several years before it. I can have movies from Amazon or Netflix,
catchup services from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and the "Dave"
group, and I haven't even counted how many live TV and radio channels
from all round the world, in 1920x1080 high resolution where
applicable, and all of it comes down the phone line.

I certainly don't need a satellite dish, and now probably wouldn't
even bother with a Freeview setup if I didn't have one already, and
since all of this is possible at a mere 27Mb/s, and has been since I
had 10Mb/s ADSL, I don't need to wait for gigabit FTTP either.

Rod.

Old August 7th 19, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY[_2_]

[...]

Yes, there comes a point with internet speeds where anything beyond that
point has very little noticeable effect. For web browsing and
sending/receiving emails without attachments, that limit is pretty low,
though the 1800/300 kbps connection we had at our temporary house (during
house sale/purchase) really was painful. For streaming video or transferring
large emails, the limit is higher - maybe 10 Mbps in each direction.
Anything beyond that will reduce the time for large file transfers, but that
tends to be a background task so it's not always one which you are waiting
to complete before you can get on with something else.

The main benefit of fibre and other fast internet for me is the fact that
the *upload* speed is considerably faster. With ADSL we got 7000 down and
0.4 Mbps up, which was fine for receiving but very slow when sending large
emails or uploading via FTP or TeamViewer. Our FTTC connection is about
30/15 Mbps which is considerably faster for upload (and noticeably faster
for download). The problem with internet nowadays is that the traditional
asymmetric speed model (download much faster that upload) is no longer
valid, now that people want to backup to cloud storage.