Is Sky always going to be in the sky?

Old August 4th 19, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Is Sky always going to be in the sky?

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more integrated
into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear out and cannot
be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.

Old August 4th 19, 10:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more integrated
into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear out and cannot
be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.

Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.
Old August 4th 19, 10:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 04/08/2019 21:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more integrated
into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear out and cannot
be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

There are several satelites at the positions where Sky broadcast to the
UK from. They can be replaced as needed.

I suspect cost is a factor. Coverage would be another issue. I think
satelite coverage is about 98%. Good fast broadband is not so widespread.

--
Michael Chare
Old August 5th 19, 01:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Moomin

On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 21:06:45 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more
integrated into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear
out and cannot be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

My wife's 'Sky Q box' works from an internet hub. No dish.
Old August 5th 19, 07:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 00:36:56 -0000 (UTC), Moomin wrote:

On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 21:06:45 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more
integrated into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear
out and cannot be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

My wife's 'Sky Q box' works from an internet hub. No dish.

Likewise my Amazon box, and the PC I used as a media centre for
several years before it. I can have movies from Amazon or Netflix,
catchup services from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and the "Dave"
group, and I haven't even counted how many live TV and radio channels
from all round the world, in 1920x1080 high resolution where
applicable, and all of it comes down the phone line.

I certainly don't need a satellite dish, and now probably wouldn't
even bother with a Freeview setup if I didn't have one already, and
since all of this is possible at a mere 27Mb/s, and has been since I
had 10Mb/s ADSL, I don't need to wait for gigabit FTTP either.

Rod.
Old August 5th 19, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about
feeding it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat
would only work when we all had Gigabit Internet.

The issue is nothing to do with internet speed, but internet capacity. Sky Q
can stream live from the internet, as can many other devices.

But local broadband is currently designed with a high level of contention,
typically 20:1 to 50:1 so bandwidth is shared. The majority of Openreach FTTC
cabinets were originally fed by a single gigabit fibre whether they cover 128
or 288 users.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...local-access-m
arket-review-fibre-cost-modelling/annexes/nga-network-cost-documentation.pdf

The DSLAMs can support four or eight GE ports, and the fibre has six
pairs, but BT equipped them minimally. So if all 288 users are online they get
only 3.5Mb of bandwidth each irrespective of the speed they pay for.

There are also restrictions in the backbone and server farms, the playout
servers can only send streams to so many people simultaneously, after which
no-one else can watch. Sure you can build more server farms, but they cost
money to build and run.

Delivering linear TV by UHF or satellite is still much cheaper.

Angus

Old August 5th 19, 09:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/08/2019 08:28, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
[...]

A very interesting and informative post.

Old August 5th 19, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 4 August 2019 22:06:46 UTC+1, Jeff Gaines wrote:
I had Sky Q put in a few weeks ago. I spoke to an engineer about feeding
it from the Internet rather than a dish and he saidthat would only work
when we all had Gigabit Internet.

NEVER believe anything a $ky engineer tells you. They either have not got a clue of what they are talking about or are just lying.

WHilst the Beeb have only done a few programs in 4K (like the cup final), this works just fine on FTTC (~50Mbps, but less than half that required for 4K).

On 04/08/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I as as it seems to me that as the internet gets more and more integrated
into life, that deliving content on a sat. which will wear out and cannot
be serviced on orbit is a bit redundant.
Brian

Well not if you live in the sticks.

OTOH it will suit $ky's 'pay for everything [twice]' ethos.

Old August 5th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 05/08/2019 11:20, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

WHilst the Beeb have only done a few programs in 4K (like the cup final), this works just fine on FTTC (~50Mbps, but less than half that required for 4K).

Err, not for full res (3840 x 2160) UHD, you need 36 Mb/s for that
(the Beeb say at least 40 Mb/s). I've measured a rate of 36 when
watching BBC iplayer 'live' UHD. It's a lot less for non real time
streamed stuff though, about 12-15 Mb/s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...al-in-ultra-hd

--
Mark