Loss of signal

Old July 22nd 19, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Johnson[_6_]

Default Loss of signal

I've been experiencing brief loss of signal on my TV recently. It
doesn't appear to be weather/strong wind related so I don't think
there are any broken connections, but I could be mistaken about that.
I was wondering if the issue could be related to deterioration of the
mast-head amplifier, if such things happen, or could it be related to
tree growth in a wood about 50ft away.
A couple of pictures of the aerial, trained on Waltham, may be
downloaded from
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkhvgPvXD0_1jIl-...j1Amw?e=Fgn6cQ
Any diagnostics, suggestion about how to proceed, appreciated.
Old July 22nd 19, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Mon 22/07/2019 20:54, Peter Johnson wrote:
I've been experiencing brief loss of signal on my TV recently. It
doesn't appear to be weather/strong wind related so I don't think
there are any broken connections, but I could be mistaken about that.
I was wondering if the issue could be related to deterioration of the
mast-head amplifier, if such things happen, or could it be related to
tree growth in a wood about 50ft away.
A couple of pictures of the aerial, trained on Waltham, may be
downloaded from
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkhvgPvXD0_1jIl-...j1Amw?e=Fgn6cQ
Any diagnostics, suggestion about how to proceed, appreciated.

How far are you from Waltham and is it line of sight.

It is better to fitted a bigger aerial without amp, then fit an amp if
necessary.

You might also be better to consider a log periodic rather than a
'wideband' multibeam.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old July 23rd 19, 01:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/07/2019 20:54, Peter Johnson wrote:
I've been experiencing brief loss of signal on my TV recently. It
doesn't appear to be weather/strong wind related so I don't think
there are any broken connections, but I could be mistaken about that.
I was wondering if the issue could be related to deterioration of the
mast-head amplifier, if such things happen, or could it be related to
tree growth in a wood about 50ft away.
A couple of pictures of the aerial, trained on Waltham, may be
downloaded from
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkhvgPvXD0_1jIl-...j1Amw?e=Fgn6cQ
Any diagnostics, suggestion about how to proceed, appreciated.

If the path from the tx to the aerial passes through trees they will
likely be the cause. This is the time of year when we are getting lots
of tree problems.

Here's a 29-year-old article on the subject:

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/referen...-reception.pdf

Old July 23rd 19, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Also this is where a nice little second hand radio scanner comes in handy to
hear if there are crackles indicative of a bad connection somewhere, if not
then I'd suggest trees.

Old July 23rd 19, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Johnson[_6_]

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 01:05:37 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

If the path from the tx to the aerial passes through trees they will
likely be the cause. This is the time of year when we are getting lots
of tree problems.

Here's a 29-year-old article on the subject:

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/referen...-reception.pdf

I read that a long time ago so had a vague memory that trees could be
the issue.
Old July 23rd 19, 02:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Johnson[_6_]

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 21:34:29 +0100, Woody
wrote:

How far are you from Waltham and is it line of sight.

18 miles and probably - I've not been up on the roof to look.

It is better to fitted a bigger aerial without amp, then fit an amp if
necessary.

Never been conviced that an amp was necessary. Didn't need one when I
lived down the road.

You might also be better to consider a log periodic rather than a
'wideband' multibeam.

Thanks. I'll look into that. If I get one I'll get my alarm
electrician to install it - as he has 'digital aerials' signwritten on
his van he needs to be managed but his installations are ok.