New BBC soap

Old July 20th 19, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default New BBC soap

In message , Cursitor Doom
writes:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:24:00 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

THE RIGGERS

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

Starting soon on BBC1!

Didn't read any further after the above line.

You missed a gem then. It's not what it seems (-:

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"In the _car_-park? What are you doing there?" "Parking cars, what else does
one
do in a car-park?" (First series, fit the fifth.)
Old July 21st 19, 12:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:55:11 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

You missed a gem then. It's not what it seems (-:

There is *nothing* on the BBC which is what it seems.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Old July 21st 19, 01:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

In message , Cursitor Doom
writes:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:55:11 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

You missed a gem then. It's not what it seems (-:

There is *nothing* on the BBC which is what it seems.

you were expecting.

Which, perhaps with a _little_ watering down, it would be great fun if
someone _was_ to submit it as an apparently serious suggestion, to see
how far it got before someone realised.

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Anything you add for security will slow the computer but it shouldn't be
significant or prolonged. Security software is to protect the computer, not
the primary use of the computer.
- VanguardLH in alt.windows7.general, 2018-1-28
Old July 21st 19, 01:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default New BBC soap: Bert Coules?

In message ,
newshound writes:
On 20/07/2019 08:44, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/07/2019 in message Bill Wright wrote:

An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!

I was about to take my specimen of urine to the surgery but I see
you've already taken it :-)

It had me going for a few seconds. I reckon it's a pretty good pitch,
perhaps Bert Coules could put you in touch with someone (or does he
only have radio contacts?)

Sounds like the sort that ought to be subjected to periodic applications
of contact cleaner ... (-:

Old July 21st 19, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Richard[_9_]

On 21/07/2019 01:52, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Cursitor Doom
writes:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:55:11 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

You missed a gem then. It's not what it seems (-:

There is *nothing* on the BBC which is what it seems.

you were expecting.

Which, perhaps with a _little_ watering down, it would be great fun if
someone _was_ to submit it as an apparently serious suggestion, to see
how far it got before someone realised.

Sometimes I get the feeling Mr Doom is Hyacinth Bucket's equivalent and
he is really Cursitor Dumb.
Old July 21st 19, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

I would have thought that will be on the pleb channel, all the new first run
stuff will be surely on the subscription channel. After all it is hardly any
good rerunning old stuff, nobody would pay for it on its own.
I think the golden age of @TV is now behind us, Even on the Internet
advertising is far less effective at raising funds to keep things free, so
in the end I think the various services will have to go subscription, and
many people will simply walk away form TV. Maybe a new golden age of people
talking to each other is dawning?

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 20/07/2019 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Don't you think the name Britbox is naff in the extreme, how many
management
meetings and focus groups did it take to come up with that little gem?

Brian

I wonder if we will be able to watch Alf Garnet in full Silly-old-moo
mode, or even the black & white minstrels on this 'channel'.?

Hopefully we will be able to view all the old Doomwatch, and
Tomorrows World broadcasts.

Old July 21st 19, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

I would not say that, but certainly as time has gone on the play it safe cos
we want to sell it abroad thing is very obvious.
1. take it all back in house
2. ask the public what they want but is not provided by the commercial
sector
3 ask them how much they are prepared to pay for it.
One has to realise that local radio and radio in general is always going to
have to be provided by somebody, and I think a service with no adverts and
hence no vested interests and format issues is still needed since we have
all seen what the private sector is doing to commercial radio. There are
huge networks being formed by the back door and banal and shallow content
designed to be listened to for 20 mins at a time in a vehicle or on a smart
phone.
Somebody needs to supply the old markets which are still out there, even
with streaming playlists and all of that. people like personalities and
music they may not have experienced as well as controversial subjects and
minority interests. You cannot bring the whole thing down to the level of
its too expensive to do it.

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:30:20 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I wonder if we will be able to watch Alf Garnet in full Silly-old-moo
mode

That and Steptoe & Son (and Dad's Army perhaps) were about the only
genuinely brilliant TV shows to ever come out of the BBC. They've been
followed by 50 years of ****E.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

Old July 21st 19, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_29_]

In article ,
Andrew wrote:

I wonder if we will be able to watch Alf Garnet in full Silly-old-moo
mode, or even the black & white minstrels on this 'channel'.?

Only if preceded by the obligatory "This programme contains misogynistic
and racist language and stereotypes that you may^H^H^H are required to
find offensive" and appended with a "If you have found issues raised in this
programme in any way amusing, support is available by calling ..."

I'm sure all your "classic favourites" will have to be filtered past
the PC filter to ensure no-one gets upset by anything.

You'll be expecting them to show the *full* run of Classic Top Of The
Pops next ... including all those presenters that apparently never
presented it, and that singer that had no part in glam rock, etc.
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old July 21st 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

No I knew he was on his hobby horse by the comments on people of colour or
ethnicity being involved not due to talent but to be politically correct.
Besides those of you here who do not know may wish to know that Aerial
rigging was his vocation for many years and so was writing quirky
observations on the sort of customers one gets, in traditional paper
magazines.
I never used to believe a lot of it, until I started to run a business
myself in the 80s of mail order computer items. They say there is nowt so
queer as folk, and they are indeed right, and nor does the UK have the
monopoly on quirkiness either.

Old July 21st 19, 10:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Pancho

On 20/07/2019 01:24, Bill Wright wrote:

*Many of the customers are old and therefore ignorant of the true
realities of life;

He doesn't realise that he doesn't need to pay for a TV licence and
doesn't need to watch BBC.

If you choose to pay for that **** please don't whine about it.