1080i vs 1080p

Old June 19th 19, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

Default 1080i vs 1080p

Why is the football being shown in 1080i? I thought 1080p was more
suited to movement and 1080i to scenery. No witty comments about
women's football please !!!
Old June 19th 19, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Scott wrote:

Why is the football being shown in 1080i?

I thought the encoder now decides on a GOP by GOP basis whether to use i
or p? Must admit I never managed to catch it in p mode though.
Old June 19th 19, 10:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The dog from that film you saw

On 19/06/2019 20:43, Scott wrote:
Why is the football being shown in 1080i? I thought 1080p was more
suited to movement and 1080i to scenery. No witty comments about
women's football please !!!

surely frame rate is better for sport?
Old June 20th 19, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 19/06/2019 20:43, Scott wrote:
Why is the football being shown in 1080i? I thought 1080p was more
suited to movement and 1080i to scenery. No witty comments about
women's football please !!!

The holy grail is 1080p50, but that takes double the bandwidth as
1080p25 or 1080i50, so the only progressive mode supported on UK
broadcasts is 1080p25 (which is of course fine for film (or filmic
'processed') footage.

Some countries use 720p50, which isn't as bandwidth hungry

--
Mark
Old June 20th 19, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I these days cannot see the tv, but friends are increasingly complain about
a kind of shimmering blurring when players move through a frame though the
general scene looks sharp. Also of course some still get the pixelisation
funnies for no apparent reasons. It was so simple in the old days, since it
was analogue, but throw digital processing in real time into the mix and I
suspect now that hd is becoming mature, the hey look how sharp it is is
beginning to wear off and folk are spotting the compromises made by using
software to help out the struggling bandwidth etc.

Old June 20th 19, 10:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:06:43 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 19/06/2019 20:43, Scott wrote:
Why is the football being shown in 1080i? I thought 1080p was more
suited to movement and 1080i to scenery. No witty comments about
women's football please !!!

The holy grail is 1080p50, but that takes double the bandwidth as
1080p25 or 1080i50, so the only progressive mode supported on UK
broadcasts is 1080p25 (which is of course fine for film (or filmic
'processed') footage.

Basically, have I got it the wrong way round? 1080i better for
football because of the higher frames per second?
Old June 20th 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Scott wrote:

have I got it the wrong way round? 1080i better for
football because of the higher frames per second?

Yes, 1080i/50 is better on scenes with movement (you often see it switch
to "i" for scrolling credits) 1080p/25 for fairly static studio shots or
film material.

with 625 lines you could sometimes see the "mice teeth" but with 1080 I
never notice them.
Old June 20th 19, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 10:42:14 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

have I got it the wrong way round? 1080i better for
football because of the higher frames per second?

Yes, 1080i/50 is better on scenes with movement (you often see it switch
to "i" for scrolling credits) 1080p/25 for fairly static studio shots or
film material.

with 625 lines you could sometimes see the "mice teeth" but with 1080 I
never notice them.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wish someone would clear up some of
the refereeing decisions in the Scotland game.
Old June 21st 19, 05:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Wilmut[_2_]

On 2019-06-20 10:58:04 +0000, Scott said:

Scott wrote:

with 625 lines you could sometimes see the "mice teeth" but with 1080 I
never notice them.

If you want the official name it's 'combing' and occurs when someone
has moved between the odd scan and the even scan (or vice versa). In HD
because the lines are so fine it just looks like blurring. You wouldn't
get it with 1080p (full scan 50 times per second) as you get with
Blu-Ray, but as said above it eats up twice the bandwidth which isn't
really practicable.

Old June 22nd 19, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 22/06/2019 11:41, Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

The holy grail is 1080p50, but that takes double the bandwidth as
1080p25 or 1080i50, so the only progressive mode supported on UK
broadcasts is 1080p25 (which is of course fine for film (or filmic
'processed') footage.

Sky Q offers both 1080i and 1080p in the menu. So I assume that the
Sky Q box only receives 1080i and de-interlaces for 1080p internally.

Is it therefore correct that if a TV has a good de-interlace
'feature', it would reduce the data rate on the HDMI cable and make
no difference to the picture to use 1080i.

That's not really the issue. It's whether or not the quality of the
de-interlacer in the SkyQ box, is better than the one in the telly. The
telly will always have to de-interlace an interlaced signal, because
'flat panel' screens are natively progressive.

The whole reason the BBC chose to have the dynamic p/i switching on HD
DTT, is because the de-interlacer in their encoder is (or should be !)
miles better than the one in everyone's telly.

It's good that the SkyQ box gives the option of 1080i or p, because it
gives you the option to choose your de-interlacer

--
Mark