HDMI cable would not work on replacement box

Old July 15th 12, 06:29 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
novel8

Default HDMI cable would not work on replacement box

I had to get a replacement hd box from TW. When I connected the same hdmi cable that worked on the previous box, would not work on this one. I just can't keep buying these cables not knowing why they are so damn fickle in working . I bought it 4 months ago and it worked just fine with the older box..
Old July 15th 12, 09:37 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
meagain

Novel8 wrote:
I had to get a replacement hd box from TW.

Why? Was it broken? Could a static discharge have
damaged it AND the cable?

When I connected the same hdmi cable that worked on the previous box, would not
work on this one. I just can't keep buying these cables not knowing why they are so
damn fickle in working . I bought it 4 months ago and it worked just fine with the
older box.

I always reseat a cable when there's a problem.
Old July 16th 12, 12:28 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
novel8

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:37:08 PM UTC-4, meagain wrote:
Novel8 wrote:
> I had to get a replacement hd box from TW.

Why? Was it broken? Could a static discharge have
damaged it AND the cable?

When I connected the same hdmi cable that worked on the previous box, would not
work on this one. I just can't keep buying these cables not knowing why they are so
damn fickle in working . I bought it 4 months ago and it worked just fine with the
older box.

I always reseat a cable when there's a problem.

What do you mean by reseat a cable...These cable box's are the real problem....they seem to have to be replaced every 5 or 6 months due to overheating. Once they get to that stage, they don't work anymore and have to be replaced. Today, I finally got another box, not the Atlantic name. The replacement was a Cisco box, and so far am impressed...the booting took much less time than with the Atlantic one, and apparently its programed to receive my hdmi cable, where the Atlantic one wouldn't. The new one is a CISCO make. Why TW prevents to use a hdmi cable on their Atlanta model, I have no idea...why then do they have a hdmi output. The repairman was very helpful..now we will see how long this one will last. I also had the same problem with DirectTV...their box would get overheated and I would have to mail it back to them in order to get a replacement and that is why i went to TW. BTW, in this problem, here is a hint that I came across by myself. Sometimes the remote control may be the cause of not getting the box to react correctly. My remote back lighting was weak and so I thought i would replace the batteries.. Before I had a problem with the old box, I used it pointing to the box and then the box started working...mind you this part happened before I got the Cisco brand. They never mention to check one's remote.
Old July 16th 12, 09:49 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
meagain

Novel8 wrote:
> I had to get a replacement hd box from TW.

Why? Was it broken? Could a static discharge have
damaged it AND the cable?

When I connected the same hdmi cable that worked on the previous box, would not
work on this one. I just can't keep buying these cables not knowing why they are so
damn fickle in working . I bought it 4 months ago and it worked just fine with the
older box.

I always reseat a cable when there's a problem.

What do you mean by reseat a cable...

No big deal: take it out/apart and put it back. This wipes off
any oxide that may have accrued.

These cable box's are the real problem...
they seem to have to be replaced every 5 or 6 months due to overheating.

I actually put extra Feet under them so the air can get in and out.

My cable Boxes have lasted years and years.

Yes, heat is a big enemy of electronics.

[...]

Remotes have their own issues.