The sad state of Comcast HDTV

Old August 15th 07, 02:05 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
JC[_2_]

Default The sad state of Comcast HDTV

I would like to express disappointment in the current HD offerings
from Comcast. I pay an additional $15 monthly to receive Starz and
have switched from HBO because of overall stale HD programming.

Comcast's HD content, both on demand and live programming, is dismal.
Why do I need 2 HD weather channels? Why are so many shows chosen to
be aired on the few HD channels we have only SD in quality? Why do we
need a dedicated golf channel in HD??? I visited the Starz.com site
but there is no option there for customer feedback. So I'm asking
Comcast why Starz (and HBO, SHO, etc.) think we still need to see the
same, tired movie titles each month.

Why am I paying Comcast for HD services and end up with a small
handful of HD channels - most of which offer non-HD content or
extremely limited HD content. HDTV's are everywhere now and tube TV
sales are projected to plummet throughout 2007 with 2008 being the
first year they'll be in the minority sales figures. I've read that
DirecTV is promising 150 HD channels, pending a new satellite being
placed in orbit. How does Comcast intend to answer to such
competition? I've also read that cable technology simply can't offer
more HD content due to physical bandwidth limitations.

I really need to get answers to these questions. Is the future of HD
on cable already here now? Is this as good as it gets for Comcast? I
feel like that guy in the new Wendy's commercials - you know, the one
wearing the bright red Wendy's wig? The one that starts screaming that
he's tired of the same old frozen patties... the one that incites the
crowd to start asking questions - to start moving!

Write to Comcast.com and ask them for yourself.

Old August 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
rom

"rwcos" wrote in message
Direct tv has been promising that for the last 5 years!!!

This time it's going to happen.

Old August 15th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:09:20 +0000, rom wrote:

"rwcos" wrote in message
Direct tv has been promising that for the last 5 years!!!

This time it's going to happen.

So what. How many channels can you watch and record at one time. 90% of
what I watch comes from 4 free OTA channels and i can record up to 6 at a
time and watch one with 7 HDTV tuners. There's always a lot more on than I
can possibly watch, and I'm retired and watch a lot of TV. I can't get
over how so many pay so much for so little they actually use of pay
services. Keep it up though, most of the good shows I'll eventually get
for free.:-)

Old August 15th 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Peter H. Coffin

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:09:20 GMT, rom wrote:

"rwcos" wrote in message
Direct tv has been promising that for the last 5 years!!!

This time it's going to happen.

Lion: ROAR!

Rocky: Wrong hat!

--
6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.
Old August 15th 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Tantalust

news:[email protected]

"rwcos" wrote in message
Direct tv has been promising that for the last 5 years!!!

This time it's going to happen.

So what. How many channels can you watch and record at one time. 90% of
what I watch comes from 4 free OTA channels and i can record up to 6 at a
time and watch one with 7 HDTV tuners. There's always a lot more on than I
can possibly watch, and I'm retired and watch a lot of TV. I can't get
over how so many pay so much for so little they actually use of pay
services. Keep it up though, most of the good shows I'll eventually get
for free.:-)

Just *one* History-HD or Learning-HD channel is worth ~10 OTA HD [non-PBS]
channels.

IMO.

But Wes . . . . hey if you enjoy it, go for it!

Old August 15th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Tantalust

"rwcos" wrote in message
Direct tv has been promising that for the last 5 years!!!

This time it's going to happen.

Lion: ROAR!

Rocky: Wrong hat!

Bullwinkle: I gotta get another provider!

Old August 15th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Dan Espen

JC writes:

I visited the Starz.com site
but there is no option there for customer feedback.

Right, they don't want to know.

So I'm asking
Comcast why Starz (and HBO, SHO, etc.) think we still need to see the
same, tired movie titles each month.

The answer to why there is so little content on HBO and SHO is
simple. People are willing to PAY EXTRA to see new content
on Pay Per View. Only when they've wrung every extra dollar
out of the public on PPV will they move the content to the
movie channels.

Old August 15th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Sam Spade

Dan Espen wrote:
JC writes:

I visited the Starz.com site
but there is no option there for customer feedback.

Right, they don't want to know.

So I'm asking
Comcast why Starz (and HBO, SHO, etc.) think we still need to see the
same, tired movie titles each month.

The answer to why there is so little content on HBO and SHO is
simple. People are willing to PAY EXTRA to see new content
on Pay Per View. Only when they've wrung every extra dollar
out of the public on PPV will they move the content to the
movie channels.

PPV on Cox is pure standard def crap.
Old August 15th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
RickH

On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, JC wrote:

How does Comcast intend to answer to such
competition?

With high speed internat access which satellite will never be able to
provide adequately and the phone companies are slow to invest in "last
mile" infrastructure.

You will then get any HD content delivered over TCP/IP, on demand what
and when you want it.

Computer/TV convergence will become an ever easier technical step
now. So he with the best Internet access wins, and for the forseeable
future that is Cable.