Another sad story

Old February 4th 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Another sad story

I encountered an couple in their late sixties yesterday who live in a block
of flats built two years ago. A company we work for has recently taken over
the management of the building. They complained of 'poor reception'.

The first big surprise came when I drove onto the development and saw
hundreds of Sky dishes fixed to the walls of the blocks. Astonishingly this
particular builder (a major national name advertised on TV -- but please
don't publish your guesses on here) does not include satellite in the TV
distribution systems when they build 'affordables'.

The distribution system consisted of a DAT45 thrown on the floor of the loft
and a very cheap horrible amplifier buried in the glassfibre and smouldering
away. This is in a moderate reception area. The old couple had told me that
the new digital TV would not get any extra channels, and the pictures they
had were poor. The man from the shop had installed the set, remarked how
difficult it was to tune in, and told them that the aerial was faulty. When
I saw the set the first thing I noticed was a black felt pen mark about an
inch long and an eighth wide, running up the very edge of the picture. Close
examination showed that someone had tried to hide a blemish on the screen
surround and had been so clumsy that they had left an indelible mark on the
screen. The old pair were very cheesed off by this, having noticed the man
'fiddling' with the front of the set, but not having realised what he was
doing. They hadn't seen the pen mark. I could find no evidence of a digital
tuner.

Everything had to be done in whispers, with the TV sound turned down. The
couple lived in fear of a young woman in the top floor flat who came in at
4am and slept until noon every day. Even in the afternoon she would tolerate
no sound from downstairs, and would come down and make threats. It was 9am
when I was there and I took some pleasure after I mounted the steps to the
top floor in making a very rattly performance of setting up my steps. I then
installed a proper aerial in the loft as a temporary measure, fixing it with
big nails which I banged in with gusto. I then fixed the cable with clips
rather than the staple gun, banging in each clip very thoroughly. The woman
came out as I'd hoped and we had a full and frank exchange of views.

The two old people were considering emigrating to Spain. I can't say I blame
them.

Old February 4th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
^^artnada^^

In ,
Bill Wright typed rather thoughtfully:
snip
The two old people were considering emigrating to Spain. I can't say I
blame
them.

Bill

Perhaps they should actually consider complaining to the management company
that runs the complex!

Old February 4th 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

Bill Wright wrote:
The woman
came out as I'd hoped and we had a full and frank exchange of views.

Excellent.

--
Adrian C
Old February 4th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
snip
The two old people were considering emigrating to Spain. I can't say I
blame them.
Bill

Not a bad idea, i know someone elderly who did,
and since Tony B signed the European social charter for the UK in 1997
the reciprocal OAP benefits they get are better their than here.

Only thing if they don't move to a ex-pat ghetto there,
or don't speak Spainish they are likely to get very lonely

Steve Terry

Old February 4th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote: The
couple lived in fear of a young woman in the top floor flat who came in
at 4am and slept until noon every day.

Well that's eight hours. Perhaps her work pattern needs those sort of
hours. But you would have found that out after your "full and frank
exchange of views".

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old February 4th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Jones

"charles" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote: The
couple lived in fear of a young woman in the top floor flat who came in
at 4am and slept until noon every day.

Well that's eight hours. Perhaps her work pattern needs those sort of
hours. But you would have found that out after your "full and frank
exchange of views".

Or perhaps she goes out clubbing?

Old February 4th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

Steve Terry wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The two old people were considering emigrating to Spain. I can't say I
blame them.

Only thing if they don't move to a ex-pat ghetto there,
or don't speak Spainish they are likely to get very lonely

Especially so towards their later years together or not :-(

--
Adrian C
Old February 4th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:14:27 GMT, "Michael Jones"
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote: The
couple lived in fear of a young woman in the top floor flat who came in
at 4am and slept until noon every day.

Well that's eight hours. Perhaps her work pattern needs those sort of
hours. But you would have found that out after your "full and frank
exchange of views".

Or perhaps she goes out clubbing?

Perhaps she needs clubbing?
--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old February 4th 07, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message
news
In ,
Bill Wright typed rather thoughtfully:
snip
The two old people were considering emigrating to Spain. I can't say I
blame
them.

Bill

Perhaps they should actually consider complaining to the management
company that runs the complex!

I offered to have a word but they were scared of trouble.

Old February 4th 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"charles" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote: The
couple lived in fear of a young woman in the top floor flat who came in
at 4am and slept until noon every day.

Well that's eight hours. Perhaps her work pattern needs those sort of
hours. But you would have found that out after your "full and frank
exchange of views".

When her and her bouncer bloke rolled in at 4am they made enough noise to
wake the dead, apparently.