Cox Cable does not "support" DVI or HDMI... :(

Old October 13th 05, 07:53 PM
JoAnne

Default Cox Cable does not "support" DVI or HDMI... :(

Thursday, October 13 2005, @ 11:22 AM (-0700 GMT)

Hi,

I have a Cox Cable supplied Motorola Dual-DVR HDTV STB. When they
installed it they connected it to my new LG LCD HDTV using "component
video." Having read many very interesting posts in this group, I've
learned that both DVI and HDMI are superior and wished I could
"up-grade" to one or the other.

I looked at the back of my LG set and found it had a DVI connector for
video and a second connector marked "PC/DVI Audio in" for the audio
part. My STB had an HDMI connector. I bought two adaptor cables. One
had a HDMI on one end and a DVI on the other for the video. A second
cable had RCA type phone plugs on one end, for the audio, and a small
"pin type plug" on the other end to fit my TV.

After making the connections, removing the "component video" cable,
and turning power back on, I got DVI picture and sound O.K. It really
did not look any better than what I had before, but I guess it HAD to
be because it was now DVI and not "component" and there were no longer
any D/A or A/D converters in the path?

However, I noticed some problems almost immediately. Some of the
channels I was "subscribed" to would not "show" on my screen, and one
time, the STB shut itself off and "reset" itself EIGHT times in a row
while I watched!

I called Cox and they told me they do NOT support either DVI or HDMI,
only "conponent video." I asked "why" their box has an HDMI connector
on it? I got no answer. They said that I did not see a picture on some
channels because there was a problem in "processing the encrypted
copyright" info on the transmitted signal by the Motorola STB. They
also said that by attaching a cable to the HDMI port I may experience
"multiple resets" of the STB, which is exactly what I saw.

I wasted my money in buying the needed cables which I now can not use.
My error was in assuming that if the box HAD an HDMI connector, that
it was put there to be used. I thought that was reasonable, but I
guess not.

I'm mentioning all this in case some "out there" who also subscribe to
Cox Cable might not be aware of this. My experience might save you
grief and money. Oh well, I guess "component video" HDTV is better
than analog black & white?

JoAnne
WebMistress: http://www.AntiVirusYellowPages.com/

Old October 13th 05, 09:01 PM
Dennis Mayer

JoAnne wrote:

Thursday, October 13 2005, @ 11:22 AM (-0700 GMT)

Hi,

I have a Cox Cable supplied Motorola Dual-DVR HDTV STB. When they
installed it they connected it to my new LG LCD HDTV using "component
video." Having read many very interesting posts in this group, I've
learned that both DVI and HDMI are superior and wished I could
"up-grade" to one or the other.

What is the Motorola STB model number/ID.....?

Does 'MotoRola' support HDMI for the box IF Cox doesn't.?

I looked at the back of my LG set and found it had a DVI connector for
video and a second connector marked "PC/DVI Audio in" for the audio
part. My STB had an HDMI connector. I bought two adaptor cables. One
had a HDMI on one end and a DVI on the other for the video. A second
cable had RCA type phone plugs on one end, for the audio, and a small
"pin type plug" on the other end to fit my TV.

When I bought my 34" Sony HDTV CRT 2 years ago.... I ran both
component & DVI cables(on 2 Sony ports) from a SA-3250-HD Cable STB..

Both the STB & Sony had 1 DVI port each.... After a 4 month wait..
SA (Scientific Atlanta) thru TWC put the DVI software in the 3250 box
over night.. The TWC Engineer tipped me off DVI was coming.
The HDTV signal using DVI would not work until I disconnected the
Component Cable from the 3250 STB...... and reset the new 3250-HD
remote menu & STB menu to the DVI features: DVI Video and
1080i, 720p, 480p wide(EDTV), 480p, 480i wide, & 480i which my
Sony HDTV guts all support...

Old October 13th 05, 10:04 PM
JoAnne

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:01:30 -0500, Dennis Mayer
wrote:

What is the Motorola STB model number/ID.....?

Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR
Model DCT6412 Phase III

Does 'MotoRola' support HDMI for the box IF Cox doesn't.?

When I spoke to a Cox Cable tech about problems with the box that
were, (or so it seemed to me), to be "hardware related," he said that
Cox could not open the boxes w/o voiding the Motorola warranty.

Therefore, IMHO, it would seem reasonable to assume (there I go again
and it got me in trouble before), that Motorola PUT the HDMI connector
on their box and NOT Cox. wouldn't you think that?

So, I guess it then becomes a software issue. I presume Motorola can
make HDMI work on the Model DCT6412 Phase III box if they want to with
their own software, but Cox cannot.

Did I say a dumb thing by using the phrase "component video" to refer
to the Cox HDTV connection? Maybe I should've said "component"
instead? If so, "component" is what I meant! I think the phrase
"component video has something to do with old VCR's ? g

Please forgive me. I'm trying but am "in kinda deep" on this subject!

Old October 14th 05, 03:22 PM
JoAnne

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:00:24 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

JoAnne wrote:

My error was in assuming that if the box HAD an HDMI connector, that
it was put there to be used.

That's a common cable company thing. The STB makers make boxes full of
features, then each cable operator gets to pick and choose which of
those features they want to implement. They can turn features off via
firmware, but hardware features are tough to hide. :-)

Gee Elmo, I wish I would've asked you first! sigh

The "Cox Box" just would not work problem-free in "HDMI mode." The
cable I used was a "Monster" so it should've been of decent quality.
Also, I was careful to use the "Menu" on the Motorola box and insure
that the display was set to 1081i.

One thing (among many g( I do not understand is that the menu gave
choices involving 1080i. One choice, the one I selected, was "1081i
wide and preserve 480i." Another was "1080i wide and preserve 480p." I
think a third choice, among about 5, was just "1081 wide." BUT, when I
ran into the serious problems that Cox said I would, I did TRY the
other settings to "see" if they fixed anything. They did not.

I have kept a logbook of problems with the motorola STB for the past
30 gays and will finish it up on Monday. I've had MANY intermittant
"box problems," and a fair number of serious recording problems. The
box problems involve lights on the display that flash continuously,
when they should not, or lights that stay on when they should not. A
number of shows have FAILED to record. When the recording time comes
around, the record lite blinks for 1 second and then goes off. This
indicates that the recording does a "start / stop." Some shows have
recorded and then during playback, part way in to a show, you get
"tiling" (are these 'artifacts?') and a loud buzz. This box is AWFUL.
It is the FOURTH box I've been given.

Thank you,

Old October 14th 05, 03:56 PM
FDR

JoAnne wrote:

[...]

Thats sure is a lot of gays.

Old October 14th 05, 09:29 PM

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:53:23 -0700 JoAnne wrote:

| I have a Cox Cable supplied Motorola Dual-DVR HDTV STB. When they
| installed it they connected it to my new LG LCD HDTV using "component
| video." Having read many very interesting posts in this group, I've
| learned that both DVI and HDMI are superior and wished I could
| "up-grade" to one or the other.

While DVI or HDMI will avoid any signal degradation over the path
between the STB and the TV or monitor, it's not going to be all that
much on a short connection (if the set top box is on the set top, it
should be quite short). Consider that the original pristine video is
going to be compressed, probably rather much, before being squeezed
down the wire with the other 499 channels, many of which will be in
HD, I don't think a correctly installed component connection with
decent connectors is going to be noticeable.

Old October 15th 05, 06:04 PM
saxmaniac

Joanne-
I have been a Cox HD/DVR user since last October. The first 2 boxes had
defective hard drives. I am now on my fourth box the Motorola 6412 series
III. The Cox field tech admitted early on that he spent most of his days
swapping out Motorola HD/DVR's with defective hard drives. I do not
understand why Cox uses Scientific Atlanta boxes just 75 miles south from my
home in O.C., Calif.! and Motorola here.

Old October 15th 05, 08:46 PM
JoAnne

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:04:28 -0700, "saxmaniac"
wrote:

Joanne-
I have been a Cox HD/DVR user since last October. The first 2 boxes had
defective hard drives. I am now on my fourth box the Motorola 6412 series
III. The Cox field tech admitted early on that he spent most of his days
swapping out Motorola HD/DVR's with defective hard drives. I do not
understand why Cox uses Scientific Atlanta boxes just 75 miles south from my
home in O.C., Calif.! and Motorola here.

Hi saxmaniac!

Gee, I had to be careful not to misspell your name g

I too am on my FOURTH Motorola box. I am in process of writing up a
BIG detailed letter to send to my local Cox place AND a duplicate with
a separate cover letter to the CEO of Cox Communications. I wonder if
he has a "clue" as to whats going on with these junk boxes?

If you want, you can write him too:

James O. Robbins
Pres. and CEO of Cox Communications
1400 Lake Hearn Drive
Atlanta, GA 30319
(404)843-5000

Do you not wonder, as I do, what poor SUCKER has the boxes you
returned?

JoAnne
WebMistress: http://www.AntiVirusYellowPages.com/
Home of great FREE stuff and award winning shareware.

Old October 16th 05, 09:23 AM
saxmaniac

Assuredly, they refurbish those boxes, replacing defective hard drives. You
are correct in writing the CEO. I have used this tactic with other
companies,as necessary.