How many onnections do streaming services allow?

Old August 8th 19, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How many onnections do streaming services allow?

It does seem to me that as video and audio over the web in real time takes
off, that the growth of servers to allow a lot of people to use them at once
is going to cost a lot of money.
So do the bbc control numbers or is it big data servers belonging to third
parties.
Was there not a way of doing it from your own computer some years ago,
Shoutcast?

Old August 8th 19, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

It does seem to me that as video and audio over the web in real time takes
off, that the growth of servers to allow a lot of people to use them at once
is going to cost a lot of money.
So do the bbc control numbers or is it big data servers belonging to third
parties.

Don't know if BBC bother limiting it, certainly when I went from about
2Mbps ADSL to 80Mbps VDSL, I opened up iPlayer on three computers, two
TVs, a phone and a tablet all at once.

Netflix allow a fixed number of streams based on how much you pay.

Old August 8th 19, 07:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Moomin

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 16:55:44 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

It does seem to me that as video and audio over the web in real time
takes off, that the growth of servers to allow a lot of people to use
them at once is going to cost a lot of money.
So do the bbc control numbers or is it big data servers belonging to
third
parties.

Don't know if BBC bother limiting it, certainly when I went from about
2Mbps ADSL to 80Mbps VDSL, I opened up iPlayer on three computers, two
TVs, a phone and a tablet all at once.

Netflix allow a fixed number of streams based on how much you pay.

Were they all in sync ?
Old August 9th 19, 12:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Brian Gaff wrote:

It does seem to me that as video and audio over the web in real time
takes off, that the growth of servers to allow a lot of people to use
them at once is going to cost a lot of money.
So do the bbc control numbers or is it big data servers belonging to
third
parties.

Don't know if BBC bother limiting it, certainly when I went from about
2Mbps ADSL to 80Mbps VDSL, I opened up iPlayer on three computers, two
TVs, a phone and a tablet all at once.

Netflix allow a fixed number of streams based on how much you pay.

Were they all in sync ?

Like that advert where Martin Freeman is on a train where everybody is
watching the same movie on their phones all exactly in sync.
--
Dave W
Old August 9th 19, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes but its the number of subscribers. I well recall the arguments in the
old days over why there were fewer modems than there were subscribers and
moor recently the number of subscribers on a node causing a bottleneck, so
running it to the other end, for those who offer free content it has to be a
nightmare to know whether you will run out of connections.

Old August 9th 19, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The only ones I see in sync are if you use Amazon Echoes or similar and ask
it to play whatever everywhere, at which point I imagine they share the
connection locally cos if you don't do that they can be as much as30 seconds
adrift from each other. The down side of them being in sync is that if the
feed glitches both devices go silent.

Old August 9th 19, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

for those who offer free content it has to be a
nightmare to know whether you will run out of connections

For those with a small number of streams, they'll be down in the noise,
for anyone with huge volumes of streams, they'll either be running their
own network and servers (google, amazon) or paying a content delivery
network to do it for them.
Old August 9th 19, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Take then something like Mushroom FM, I've never found it unavailable unless
there was a fault.

I would imagine that video is a whole other thing though due to the sheer
bandwidth of one feed.