New BBC soap

Old August 2nd 19, 09:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default OT: electric vehicle charging

In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
On 01/08/2019 08:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 21:48:50 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I thought that - the asymmetrical tolerance - was a clever way of moving
to a harmonized voltage (we were definitely 240, most of the rest of
western Europe 220) without either side having to change _anything_ on
the original date, with things changing gradually (or even not!) as new
plant was installed.

More or less. IIRC they wanted 230 +/- 10% but that brings the
minimum down to 207 volts (-6% is 216 V) with a max of 253, heck of a
range for non-SMPSU devices to handle.

The older non-smpsu devices were often labelled 220-250V, so the
asymmetric standard shouldn't cause them any real problems.

I am old enough to remember when the supply voltage to the area I was
living in then was 200V, and there was a policy to standardise on 240V
nationwide. Someone came round to our house and replaced the element in
our kettle, the immersion heater and the grill in our cooker (oddly the
oven and hotplates were OK, it was just the grill element that wasn't).
The valve radio had a shunt on the transformer to work on either 200V
or 250V, and that was moved to the 250V setting.

I was only young at the time so I don't remember the details of how this
was arranged. If that was done in everybody's house, then it must have
been a costly exercise, and only worth it if 200V was problematic at the
higher voltage.

Jim

Certainly, Cambridge in late 50s/early 60s had 200v mains.

Yes so it did of the Thompson's lane power station!

AC IIRC ...
--
Tony Sayer

Old August 3rd 19, 02:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 02/08/2019 10:35, NY wrote:

Except that in Neville Chamberlain's poncy Mr Cholmondley-Warner accent,
it's the "Kebinet Room" ;-)

Nev was a brummie. He was putting that accent on.

Old August 3rd 19, 10:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
[...]

It was certainly AC. In the ADC theatre there was a transformer to get the
voltage up to 240 for the stage dimming system. This system managed to drop
the voltage back to 200v - so we could swap kit with the Arts Theatre ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old August 4th 19, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

[...]

Yess ... I think we've been here before...

We used to have to short out sections of the dropper resistor in TV's in
order to get the heaters to work as they ought, course some sets were
moved around to the 240 volt areas and did the valves glow bright, well
for a while;!

--
Tony Sayer