Tivo & Reset

Old June 1st 04, 03:17 AM
Larry

Default Tivo & Reset

Now that the TV season is over, and my season pass list has shrunk to
nothing (what WILL I do! - Oh yeah, there's that outdoors thing LOL)....

Is this a good time to completely rest the Tivo to factory defaults?

I'm one of those that got _severely_ affected performance wise by the HDVR3
update that DirecTV pushed down, and it hasn't been the same since.

Would resetting the box from scratch help ya think?

If so, what's the best way to completely zero the box to factory settings
and start over?

Thanks

-Larry

Old June 1st 04, 04:54 PM
Gordon Burditt

Now that the TV season is over, and my season pass list has shrunk to
nothing (what WILL I do! - Oh yeah, there's that outdoors thing LOL)....

Is this a good time to completely rest the Tivo to factory defaults?

It may be better than other times, but you still may lose something.
Like your thumbs ratings, if you bother with suggestions at all.
And probably any recordings. And preference settings (which probably
won't take long to put back).

I'm one of those that got _severely_ affected performance wise by the HDVR3
update that DirecTV pushed down, and it hasn't been the same since.

Would resetting the box from scratch help ya think?

Maybe.

If so, what's the best way to completely zero the box to factory settings
and start over?

I don't remember what it's called, but I think it's at the bottom
of the Tivo Central | Messages and Setup | System Reset page (at
least that's where it is on my standalone Series 1). You'll probably
have to repeat Guided Setup. Read the description of what it does
before doing it. The resets seem to get more drastic as you go
down the page.

I believe I had to do this full reset after getting a refurbished
Series 1 with some season passes which I couldn't see (no subscription
yet) or delete (no subscription yet) but it still kept complaining
about not being able to find them on the Recording History list,
but it wouldn't tell me WHY it couldn't record them (no subscription
yet, although the reason was probably that the shows weren't shown
any more or they weren't available by antenna or the stations in
question were not in my area).

Gordon L. Burditt