Tivo in Spanish

Old January 21st 15, 01:30 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bilz2765

Default Tivo in Spanish

My old Series 2 if I hit mute, I would see close captioning.
Trying to learn Spanish, and wanted to see if I can record a movie in
Spanish, and view close caption in English.
Saw on Tivo site about programming the audio for sap, but no luck.

Now have a Premier, and a Romieo.
Anybody?

---

Old January 24th 15, 08:38 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Gordon Burditt[_69_]

My old Series 2 if I hit mute, I would see close captioning.

It is my observation that "mute" on the TiVo remote affects your
TV. At least, it has the same reaction when the TV is set to listen
to a disconnected input or some other input instead of the TV.
I set my TV to turn on captioning when muted (TiVo does not have that
option). If I turn on TiVo captions and mute I get duelling captions,
and the TV mostly wins (the point being if you turn captions on in
two devices at once, you deserve what you get).

Trying to learn Spanish, and wanted to see if I can record a movie in
Spanish, and view close caption in English.

Saw on Tivo site about programming the audio for sap, but no luck.

Now have a Premier, and a Romieo.
Anybody?

For whatever it's worth, I have a Tivo HD. That's closer to what
you've got than a Series 2. Everything following may or may not
have anything to do with your equipment.

One place I can change closed caption options is at
TIVO Key | Messages & Settings | Settings | Displays | Closed Captioning

I can turn closed captioning on/off (there is no option for on only
when muted - I don't think you can mute a TiVo, you mute the TV),
select from standard captions: cc1/2/3/4 or none, select from digital
captions: dtvcc1/2/3/4/5/6 or none, and set text size, font, text
color, and background color.

There are also options for Audio SAP at:
TIVO Key | Messages & Settings | Settings | Audio | Alternate Audio

There is a choice for default audio language (8 languages, including
English and Spanish. I doubt any movie has all 8).

You can also choose the Default Audio Program
(Main (stereo), Main (mono), or Secondary Audio Program (SAP)).
Whether or not there is a SAP depends on the programming.

Closed captioning appears to be recorded whether it's on or not.
You can then play it back with or without the captions as the viewer
prefers. I am not sure that's true of alternate audio streams.