BUD Mesh size - How small must the mesh be to receive KU?

Old July 11th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Jim[_12_]

Default BUD Mesh size - How small must the mesh be to receive KU?

My BUD works great on C-band, but even though I installed the latest
KU
LNB I have essentially unable to receive KU band signals on it. I
have in the past received some KU analog signals, but they were
extremely weak, right at the noise threshold. My dish is 10 ft.,
Analog receiver is Uniden Supra, DVB receiver is Pansat 2700A.

The shape of the open space in the mesh reflector is a trapezoidal
shape,
and I'm wondering now if the open area is too large for KU band
operation.

I receive all the C-band Analog (whats left), all C-Band DVB stuff,
but cannot receive any DVB KU band stuff, making me suspect the mesh
is too large to receive Ku signals.

I do have several separate small solid KU dishes, but would like to
receive certain signals on G19 on the BUD if possible to free up
the smaller dishes for other sats.

Anyway, can anyone set me straight on how to measure the mesh to see
if the thing should work with KU reception?

THanks...
Old July 12th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
SAC 441

I can only state what my Unimesh 10 foot C/Ku-Band capable dish has that
allows for digital
reception.It has 3/16 inch tiny diamond shaped holes in the mesh
framework.It works fine with this kind of spacing in both DVB 4:0:0
format and DC2 operation.

SAC441

Old July 12th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:58:38 -0500, Jim wrote:

Anyway, can anyone set me straight on how to measure the mesh to see
if the thing should work with KU reception?

Ku Band Dish Antenna Compatibility

Iif you have a solid dish, you should have no problem converting from
C band, to Ku band.

However, with a mesh dish- if the "holes" in the mesh are greater than
a quarter inch, the chances of computability are not in your favor,
due to the fact that your dish won't reflect Ku-band signals properly.

Therefore, you'll want to strongly consider upgrading to either a
solid dish, or a mesh dish in which the hole size under 1/4", and
ideally you'll want a dish that is 1 piece (or at least very few
pieces); as 4 section dish is more optimal than an 8 section dish.

The fewer the sections, the more accurate your parabola shape is and
thereby the more difficult it is for your dish to become warped (the
smaller the number of seams- the better). And insofar as dish mounts
go, the H2H (Horizon-to-Horizon) dish mount is more desirable than a
polar mount.

This is due to the fact that the Ku-band demands that the dish antenna
system is well-targeted and able to closely follow the orbital arc, of
which the H2H mount does quite admirably, as compared to a polar
mount. Also, bear in mind that you will be adjusting both the azimuth
and elevation, which can be a bit tricky occasionally.

http://www.tech-faq.com/ku-band.shtml
Old July 13th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
joeturn

I hear DC2 analog is on the verge of extention?

I also read that the digital switch was another tecnological blunder!!

I'de say by 2012 they will come up with a tecnological marval that
will reinstate anolog?
Nastrodumas:09:07:13

http://www.precisenetworking.com/~mcgatney/hdtv.html
Old July 13th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
joeturn

I hear DC2 analog is on the verge of extention?

I also read that the digital switch was another tecnological
blunder!!

I'de say by 2012 they will come up with a tecnological marval that
will reinstate anolog?
Nastrodumas:09:07:13

http://www.precisenetworking.com/~mcgatney/hdtv.html

Soo if your pansat 2700a is not compatible with ATSC you will need a
flash to convert it from NTSC and they called it nagra 3.
Old July 14th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:41:43 -0700 (PDT), joeturn
wrote:

I hear DC2 analog is on the verge of extention?

Until commercial interests switch to a more compressed format, DC2
will remain.

Its all about money...cost of new equipment vs cost of
sat-broadcasting.

But, when you compress more into one channel, it means those receiving
the signal need bigger dishes...which cost bucks.

Needless to say, during rain storms...head-ends better have a much
bigger dish when highly compressed signals are being received.

I also read that the digital switch was another tecnological
blunder!!

Not sure what you are talking about....I'm using a Satellite ISP, and
it works for me.

Over The Air SD/HD works fine for me also...but I need about a 40'
tower to get more than 2 digital network channels. Yes, during strong
electrical storms, blink goes the signal, like Dish/Direct does.

Old July 14th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

wrote:

I also read that the digital switch was another tecnological
blunder!!

PS: This below is false today: Sixth generation of ATSC tuners work
just fine.

An Inconvenient Truth?

Let's also get this out of the way as soon as possible? In the
opinions of many, ATSC Digital TV Simply Doesn't Work Well. Digital
signals must come in at full strength, or they donít show up on your
TV at all. Digital signals just don't travel over the air as well as
analog signals did; ATSC digital is inherently weaker?

http://www.precisenetworking.com/~mcgatney/hdtv.html
Old July 14th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
SAC 441

joeturn said:
----"I hear DC2 analog is on the verge of extention?"
----

Reply:
FYI: DC2 was NEVER analog.It is a digital proprietary encryption
transmission protocol developed for General Instrument Corp. who was
later acquired by Motorola for use in C-Band (BUD
or large dish) receivers.The expanded form is Digicipher 2.
Perhaps you are thinking of the analog cousin to
C-band encryption,which was VCRS or VC2+
or VideoCipher 2+.That is analog and yes for all intents and purposes it
has been discontinued for consumer use.
Do you mean "EXTINCTION" in the last word of your sentence question?
DC2 does not need an
"extention" per se,as it is still in use.

SAC441

Old July 14th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
joeturn

On Jul 13, 8:47*pm, (SAC 441) wrote:
joeturn said:
----"I hear DC2 analog is on the verge of extinction?"
----

Reply:
FYI: DC2 was NEVER analog.It is a digital proprietary encryption
transmission protocol developed for General Instrument Corp. who was
later acquired by Motorola for use in C-Band (BUD
or large dish) receivers.The expanded form is Digicipher 2.
*Perhaps you are thinking of the analog cousin to
C-band encryption,which was VCRS or VC2+
or VideoCipher 2+.That is analog and yes for all intents and purposes it
has been discontinued for consumer use.
*Do you mean "EXTINCTION" in the last word of your sentence question?
DC2 does not need an
"extention" per se,as it is still in use.

SAC441

My bad I was refering to vc2 decypher and I dont know anything about
dc2 compression.

The guy in the prcisenetworking link was giving ASTC a bad rep and
sayin congress caused the FCC to opt that in for more eclectronic
sales in the US and not because it was better.

Sac could the converter box from digital to analog solve the NTSC
problem on the Pansat 2700a?
Old July 14th 09, 08:32 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
joeturn

SAC441

My bad I was refering to vc2 and I dont know anything about
dc2 compression.

The post in the precisenetworking link was giving ASTC a bad rep and
sayin congress caused the FCC to opt that in for more eclectronic
manufacturing
in the US and not because it was better.

Sac could the converter box from digital to analog solve the NTSC
problem on the Pansat 2700a?

It now will only run NTSC OR PAL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC

Export wire mesh products ,welded wire mesh ,mesh ,screen ,filter ,sieves wire mesh Satellite tvro 0 December 24th 06 06:34 AM
Mesh Mike Grauer Satellite tvro 1 September 4th 04 03:40 AM
solid aluminum vs mesh dish clc Satellite tvro 2 December 25th 03 02:40 PM
Painting fiberglass/mesh dish. Skyler Slade Satellite tvro 3 August 28th 03 01:19 AM