Hauppauge 2000-t - Sound & Picture sync

Old September 9th 03, 09:54 PM
Jon

i run a P4 2.6 gig , with 1024 mb of pc3200 ddr RAM and a 256 mb winfast
graphic card , so u can hardly say my system is sluggish , but i still get
the odd lip sync glitch with the dec unit , the solution i have found is to
:
a) have a powerful pc in the first place (obviously)
b) shutdown then restart machine before u wish to capture tv
c) close any progs running in the background u don't need

fairly obvious stuff i know , but it makes all the difference especially the
shutdown , not just a restart as windows has a nasty habit of holding onto
crap even after a soft reset.

also update the software to the 2.15 update and i recommend installing the
flash rom update for german units, its quite safe to install on UK units
even tho it says it for german use only, it makes many improvements to the
unit , BUT DO NOT install if u use an RF lead to connect unit to tv , cos
the rom update changes it from PAL to PAL B so only do it if u use scart to
connect.

alternatively maybe try DVREC software which is meant to be a reliable and
easy to use alternative and can be set for time recordings.

the program PVAStrumento may help u sort out the lip sync on existing clips
u have.

and last but not least and don't take this the wrong way (my g/f made this
mistake) if u have the unit connected to the PC and have the PC&TV option
ticked so u get picture and sound on both tv and pc , if u have the sound
coming thru ure pc speakers but are watching the tv screen there will be a
delay , so lip sync will be out, i know this ones really obvious so no
insult intended , just stating the obvious.

On a side note , i love this unit , it was well worth the $120 odd quid and
the only complaints i heard about it via website reviews and forums is that
the pc side and software sucks, which is true but if u install the 2 updates
and have a fast pc it works as sweet as a squirels lunch, and if u use DVDX
or Dr.DivX to compress the captured video for burning onto 1 cd it still
retains great quality.

Sorry for not providing links for downloads of patches and software,frankly
i couldn't be arsed , but i can provide if u have trouble finding
Jon

Old September 10th 03, 08:54 AM
NickM

"mike2002" wrote in message
om...
I am using the USB version on my PC, but am experiencing that that the
sound and picture are out of sync with each other. People speak, then
a split second later their lips move. As my graphics are of the
'built-in' variety on the PC motherboard, I was wondering if a
separate graphics card would cure this.
I don't play games, so do not require a super expensive card offering
features that would be wasted on me. But it would, naturally, have to
be a step up from my current on-board graphics.

I don't get this problem with the Hauppauge software playing back
rocordings, or when I monitor off-air. However it is noticeable when
writing files to DVD. I've found by editing in Pinnacle Studio 8 (or
similar), I am able to offset video and audio by about three quarters of a
second by moving the video track along by 18 frames or so. This brings back
the desired lip sync. My theory, as I work a lot with audio, is that the
problem is caused by audio latency - something that's very evident,
especially when using sound cards like the Sound Blaster range with Windows
WDM or VXD drivers. This type of audio card typically has an audio latency
of 750ms. The Hauppauge software is probably pre-set to perform the
necessary offset automatically on playback.

Nick

Old September 10th 03, 12:43 PM
mike2002

Jon: Believe me, this Hardware/software is TEMPERAMENTAL!
My son spent a good two hours attempting to install the original CD
software. We then 'upgraded'to the latest version, only to find that
it was worse, so we returned to the original.

The biggest problem is that Windows wouldn't (despite repeated
attempts) recognise the additional Hardware. It did on one occasion,
and displayed a message to that effect.
But an additional program, 'AdWatch', simultaneously displayed a
'Registry Modification' alert, and by the time I'd cleared it, the New
Hardware message had disappeared.

I then discovered that the unit wouldn't switch to standby with the
remote (you cannot switch it off by any other means), but a 'firmware'
patch cured this.

I'm using this solely on a PC - not a TV set, and I do shut down all
extra running programs; Firewall, Anti-Virus - everything except
Explorer and Systray!

You mentioned a "PC&TV option ticked", not sure where to find this.
But I'm sure that certain captions/buttons etc are missing. I've also
discovered that you dare not 'fiddle' with the controls otherwise it
will freeze on me during a program. The only cure for this is - yes -
a reboot!
The yellow Pause' button does nothing at all. Also the recording
progress bar used to be operational, now it's just a green bar that
tells me nothing.

When I first launch the program, I get a box (without any dialogue)
with a progress bar at the bottom. On the left side are (I think) 6
boxes which get ticked one by one as loading progresses.
Ideally they should tick in quick succession but, most times, progress
is slow, and all the ticks may or may not be completed.

Then, just as you think the launch is complete, a Fatal Error screen
appears. At this point the system may or may not lock up,
necessitating a Reboot. If I get by without the latter, I return to
the Desktop once more and I click on the program to try again.
Sometimes it launches OK, other times I get a "Yes" - "No" box.
What is it asking me?

On other occasions, instead of the progress box, I get an "Open
Device" message - nothing more. (Unfortunately I cannot paste
screenshots here). Then, after 3 repeated "Open Device" messages, it
will launch as normal.

NickM: My sound hardware is like the graphics - all 'built-in' on the
motherboard.
I know for a fact that a need an antenna upgrade on this, it's only
high-pressure weather conditions that give me a stable sound without
any drop-outs.
Old September 10th 03, 01:21 PM
mike2002

Other problems aside, I've discovered the reason for the Sound and
Video sync.
Up to now, I've always played back recordings via Windows Media or
other player. I hadn't even tried WinDVD, thinking it's use was
solely to play DVDs -
which I don't have. (Do I receive a nomination for idiot of the week?)
Yes WinDVD works a treat. I still have a sync lapse on 'live' viewing,
but this corrects itself on playback.

Thanks for your time and trouble guys. At least I know my graphics
are coping.
Old September 10th 03, 02:13 PM
Ian Matthews

I sometimes have sync problems with my Nokia 221T FTV box, so it may not be
your PC that is to fault. Nokia sent me the following into:
We are aware of the lip sync issue on certain channels. This is something
that Nokia and some other manufacturers have been working with the
broadcaster to resolve, so we can confirm that this is not a fault with your
receiver.

We are carrying out some tests on a software version which overcomes this
lip sync issue and our intention is to release this in the next software
update.

Cheers, Ian

Old September 10th 03, 03:03 PM
dvrec

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:54:30 +0000 (UTC), "Jon"
wrote:

alternatively maybe try DVREC software which is meant to be a reliable and
easy to use alternative and can be set for time recordings.

the program PVAStrumento may help u sort out the lip sync on existing clips
u have.

DVRec can do this automatically

and have a fast pc it works as sweet as a squirels lunch, and if u use DVDX
or Dr.DivX to compress the captured video for burning onto 1 cd it still
retains great quality.

DVRec can divx as well as convert radio recordings to either mp3 or
ogg

I think the readme will have to be updated as most people seem to be
unaware that dvrec can do everything you need in one program.
Old September 11th 03, 02:22 AM
Jon

mike : everything u described , i also went thru, i was all set to take the
****er back , but after a bit of playing and tweeking and the 2 updates , i
can honestly say i don't have any trouble with it, and i record several
programs a week mainly movies, and the pause works great for me to cut the
ads out, yes i guess it is a downside having to really know what ure doin to
get it to work properly and i'm certain ure average joe smoe consumer would
not even attempt it (and no i'm not saying ure a joe smoe ) and having a
decent enuff PC to run it properly, thats life i guess, other forums helped
me , so my post was just meant as a guide and helping hand to anyone using
this kit and getting annoyed (99% of its users).

Jon

Old September 11th 03, 12:11 PM
mike2002

jon: Thanks for the input.
Yeah the trouble is, even though it's a pain in the butt to operate,
you dare not fiddle around around any further for fear of making
things a whole lot worse.
I wouldn't want to go through an install proceedure again!
Hauppage appear to swear by the latest software update, if you've got
problems, that's the FIRST thing they'll ask.
Another thing that happens is that, when changing channels, etc, it
goes into 'pause' and I can only free it by closing down and
relaunching the program again. There's a little box at the top of the
program that goes sort of 'starry'.
Any other advice? (laugh)
Old September 11th 03, 12:24 PM
Jon

lol , that is a nasty one, i haven't had that one (YET!!), i agree haupauge
are pretty useless for support and they should be a big warning on the box
that if u want to connect it to a pc u'll need to know what ure doin , of
course they'll never do that, nor will they improve there software.

it makes me laugh that in the 21st century they are trying to set stardards
and make things 'plug in and go' but as far as i'm concerned its an uphill
struggle with anything u try to add to ure pc nowadays (ok i'm bias as i'm
having no end of trouble with bluetooth at the moment)

i think we can agree tho that to get the DEC to work how u want is more luck
than judgement, but when it does what its meant to, its superb

Jon