planned dates for Digital TV from relay transmitters

Old September 8th 03, 06:44 PM
Michael Porter

Default planned dates for Digital TV from relay transmitters

Is there any source of up to date information on planned dates for adding
Digital TV to relay transmitters? The DTG site was last updated in September
2002 apparently!

The one that I'm particularly interested in serves Salcombe (Devon) and is a
relay of Caradon Hill according to the BBC web site.

Michael

Old September 8th 03, 09:23 PM
Aztech

"Michael Porter" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any source of up to date information on planned dates for adding
Digital TV to relay transmitters? The DTG site was last updated in September
2002 apparently!

Do they even intent to upgrade relay sites? Remember this is about clearing the
spectrum not about the end user. Sept 2002 is quite recent, the basic sites
haven't changed nor been added to for over five years, the only differences are
power increases here and there.

Az.

Old September 9th 03, 03:47 AM
Wrightsaerials

Do they even intent to upgrade relay sites?

See
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/terrest...doweneedit.htm

Let's live in haste; use pleasures while we may
Could life return, 'twould never lose a day.
Old September 10th 03, 08:56 PM
martin

interesting article I lived on Skye for approx 15 years (parents moved up
when I was 2).We are in the strange situation that we are only about 0.5
mile or so as the crow files from our transmitter (scoval) but we are too
close (the signal doesn't bend enough for us) so we have to use the
stornoway transmitter (eitshal) to get our analogue tv.We got sky about 5 or
6 six years ago and now we couldn't imagine what we would do without it
(BBC1 is a very snowy picture).

I agree that providing satellite dishes to the communities rather than
upgrading the relay transmitters is a good idea,when new boxes have twin
tuners it would be even better.

you make a point about the government wanting to keep the terrestrial
network for national security reasons.I dare say that there is far more
chance of analogue going off air (in rural areas at least) than all the
Astra satellites going off air.

Martin Warby

Old September 10th 03, 10:00 PM
Andy Dee

Michael Porter wrote:
Is there any source of up to date information on planned dates for adding
Digital TV to relay transmitters? The DTG site was last updated in September
2002 apparently!

The one that I'm particularly interested in serves Salcombe (Devon) and is a
relay of Caradon Hill according to the BBC web site.

Michael

There are plans for DTT relay stations but there are severe problems in
finding channels to put them on. Dont expect much to happen in the near
future. As far as Salcombe goes, its a long way from London so will have
very low priority :-(

Old September 10th 03, 11:44 PM
Stuart

"martin" wrote in message

you make a point about the government wanting to keep the terrestrial
network for national security reasons.I dare say that there is far more
chance of analogue going off air (in rural areas at least) than all the
Astra satellites going off air.

I would have thought radio would have been the preferred emergency medium.
More people can tune in (car/portable) if mains power is lost and the signal
is going to be much more robust from jamming. Also less emergency power
(less transmitters?) would be needed to keep the network live ... and no
cameras/lighting makes the studio side easier.

--
Stuart

Old September 11th 03, 11:17 AM
Michael Porter

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

What you say doesn't entirely surprise me but if you are correct it makes it
even more important that the current shambles over FTV via satellite gets
sorted out sooner rather than later.

Does anyone in the group have access to an opposition member who shadows the
Dept of Culture to try and get a question tabled about how the Government
intends to deliver Digital TV to the inhabitants of the relay station
footprints (who must be a large number across the whole of the UK even if
small in each footprint)?

That of course suggests that the Government even recognises that there is a
problem looming!

Michael