Freeview - Is it worth the hassle?

Old September 7th 03, 08:34 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Freeview - Is it worth the hassle?

Having lurked for some time and seen all the aerial, cable, mast head
amps issues etc. let alone which set top box is best etc. and the
general view that analogue quality is better (sound and vision) I ask
whether all this expense is worth it for a few extra channels that I
might not view anyway?

Which of the extra channels if any are worth it?

I am however looking to update the sad old CRT telly to a nice LCD model
( less obtrusive than the juggernaught wide screen CRTs) when they
become more readily available (less expensive).

Would you buy a high performance car and then try to run it on paraffin? Any
TV or radio is only going to perform to specification if you feed it with a
good quality signal as free of interference as possible. If you are going to
spend a lot on a TV then £100 for a good quality, professionally installed,
aerial is well worth the price.

Old September 7th 03, 09:25 PM
Java Jive

I would say that BBC4 and the Goon show repeats on BBC R7 are worth it on
their own, but whether you'd agree with that depends on your taste. I
suggest you watch the listings for a while to see if there's anything there
to tempt you.

It's true that there are quite a lot of repeats on all the channels, but you
only have to pay once for the hardware, whereas with Sky and cable you have
to pay every month to watch a wider selection of, er, repeats.

"RDD" wrote in message ...
To the initiated,

Having lurked for some time and seen all the aerial, cable, mast head
amps issues etc. let alone which set top box is best etc. and the
general view that analogue quality is better (sound and vision) I ask
whether all this expense is worth it for a few extra channels that I
might not view anyway?

Which of the extra channels if any are worth it?

I am however looking to update the sad old CRT telly to a nice LCD model
( less obtrusive than the juggernaught wide screen CRTs) when they
become more readily available (less expensive).

TIA

BTW I am in a marginal DTT signal area according to the post code
checker! Aerial etc update already in hand.
RDD

Old September 7th 03, 09:41 PM
Mike Terry

Don't think so, apparently in Bournemouth I would need a new aerial.

Mike

Old September 8th 03, 12:13 AM
Martin Imber

and the
general view that analogue quality is better (sound and vision)

No it isn't DTTV is generally better

Anamorphic widescreen
component colour handling so no cross colour

Old September 8th 03, 01:37 PM
DAB sounds worse than FM

Mike Terry wrote:
Don't think so, apparently in Bournemouth I would need a new aerial.

So those 1.8 million people that have got Freeview are just wasting their
time because you need a new aerial? Good logic there Mr Terry.

--
Steve - http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ - Digital Radio News & Info

DAB sounds worse than digital radio on Freeview, Satellite, Broadband
Internet Radio, Cable & FM

DAB is about as sexy as Anne Widdecombe

Old September 8th 03, 04:40 PM
Richard II

"Mike Terry" wrote in message ...
Don't think so, apparently in Bournemouth I would need a new aerial.

Mike

Oh, yes -- certainly worth the hassle (which is minimal) if you want
the extra radio stations (or the ones which are otherwise on AM only)
or if you have poor FM reception in your area.

INO not worth it if you just want the existing FM stations and your FM
reception is good because the difference betwwen DTT and good FM is
not great (to my ears anyway).
Old September 11th 03, 06:51 PM
Java Jive

He was joking, note the smiley ...

"Agamemnon" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , RDD wrote

Which of the extra channels if any are worth it?

Bid-Up.TV

Waste of bandwidth. Why couldn't they have given us UKHorizons instead.

--
Alan

Old September 11th 03, 07:52 PM
Alan

In message , Java Jive
wrote

He was joking, note the smiley ...

Bid-up.Tv proves that you can fool some of the people ALL of the time.

--
Alan