What ratio _Rosemary & Thyme_ ?

Old September 9th 03, 11:08 PM
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:04:26 +0100, Alan Pemberton
wrote:

On DVB, yes. There are just two or three 16F16 BBC local news programmes
at the moment, and for some obscure reason known only to the BBC,
Narwich is rarely at the cutting edge of progress. All non-16F16 regions
'blow up' their already soggy 12F12 pix to 14P16 on digital, slicing off
the top and bottom in the process.

As a slight technicality, the analogue pictures have the top and bottom
sliced off (thus becoming 14L12) before going to the ARC to be converted
to 14P16 for digital.
Old September 10th 03, 01:50 AM
Stephen Neal

On 9/9/03 6:04 pm, in article
o.uk.invalid, "Alan
Pemberton" wrote:

Agamemnon wrote:

"Alan Pemberton" wrote in message
rve.co.uk.invalid...
Sounds as though you're suffering from overscan. Measure the width of
your black bars on BBC East. Added together they should be 1/7 the width
of the pillarboxed picture. Using that information you can work out the

Is Look East supposed to be going out in 14:9 then.

On DVB, yes. There are just two or three 16F16 BBC local news programmes
at the moment, and for some obscure reason known only to the BBC,
Narwich is rarely at the cutting edge of progress. All non-16F16 regions
'blow up' their already soggy 12F12 pix to 14P16 on digital, slicing off
the top and bottom in the process.

Look East (at least the Norwich half) is only 14:9 a few more weeks though.
AIUI Look East will be joining Radio Norfolk in their new Broadcast Centre
in the Forum by October - and will then (I expect) move to full 16F16
production in the studio. I would expect that the BBC staff PSC/ENG crews
will have been upgraded to 16:9/4:3 switchable DVCam camcorders in the
recent upgrades that saw most (all?) English regions "upgraded" to DVCam
from Beta SP for acquisition. However I don't know what the
freelance/contract crews shoot on these days. I would also expect the
Cambridge studio, and material edited in Cambridge, to remain 4:3 for the
time being.

For the record, currently, BBC South East (Tunbridge Wells), BBC London
(Marylebone High St) and BBC East Midlands (Nottingham) are the only current
16:9 English regions, all the other English regions are 4:3 centres shooting
14:9. (Their output is cropped to 14L12 on analogue - by a masking device -
and arced to 14P16 on digital)

Norwich, as mentioned, are moving to 16F16 I believe as a result of their
imminent relocation. Birmingham, Leeds and Hull are also due to relocate -
and I guess move to 16F16 production. (Other regions that are not relocating
are likely to be upgraded over the next couple of years. Leeds and Newcastle
replaced their tubed Ikegami cameras with Thomson CCD cameras relatively
recently - and I can't believe these weren't 16:9/4:3 switchable)

Steve

Old September 10th 03, 02:27 PM
Mark Carver

wrote:

On DVB, yes. There are just two or three 16F16 BBC local news
programmes at the moment, and for some obscure reason known only to
the BBC, Narwich is rarely at the cutting edge of progress. All
non-16F16 regions 'blow up' their already soggy 12F12 pix to 14P16
on digital, slicing off the top and bottom in the process.

As a slight technicality, the analogue pictures have the top and
bottom sliced off (thus becoming 14L12) before going to the ARC to be
converted to 14P16 for digital

And in the case of BBC South, and a few other 14P16 regions, cropping
some captions at the top and bottom of the picture, so they're unreadable.

Not caught BBC West doing this yet :-)

(And no, my TV is not overscanning the image)
Old September 10th 03, 08:52 PM
Mark Carver

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:27:52 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

And in the case of BBC South, and a few other 14P16 regions, cropping
some captions at the top and bottom of the picture, so they're
unreadable.

So, you are saying that it is not been ARCed correctly? Is there more
of a zoom in or is it a shift up/down?

Zoom in too far. Haven't noticed the problem watching the analogue output
in 14L12.

Not caught BBC West doing this yet :-)

Heh, heh.

I'll keep checking :-)