Back to back episodes...

Old January 24th 04, 09:08 PM
AmericanPsycho

Default Back to back episodes...

Question, we tried to record both Friends episodes last Thursday, 7-7:30 and
7:30-8. We let TiVo decide the start/end times via its guide since NBC is
always flaky. Problem was, it didn't get the last few minutes of the first
episode, and by the time the second one started, the show was already
underway, and it was cutoff also.

So, if I pad the start / end times by 5 minutes, what happens if the padding
time goes into the start time of the next show ?

How do other peeps handle this ?
Thanks.

Old January 24th 04, 11:16 PM
Rod Smith

AmericanPsycho wrote:

Question, we tried to record both Friends episodes last Thursday, 7-7:30
and 7:30-8. We let TiVo decide the start/end times via its guide since
NBC is always flaky. Problem was, it didn't get the last few minutes of
the first episode, and by the time the second one started, the show was
already underway, and it was cutoff also.

That sounds wrong; it sounds like there was a gap between when the TiVo
stopped recording the first episode and started recording the second one.
That might have happened if the guide data was wrong (more wrong than
usual -- say, if the data claimed the first episode ended at 7:28 and the
second one began at 7:31). It could also happen with a DirecTiVo if there
was a couple minutes of DirecTV signal loss at 7:30, give or take a bit.
On an SA unit with a cable box, there might be a gap of a few seconds as
the system re-tunes the box, but not a gap as big as you've described.

So, if I pad the start / end times by 5 minutes, what happens if the
padding time goes into the start time of the next show ?

On an SA TiVo or if you've got a higher-priority recording on a DirecTiVo,
it'll only record one episode. Unfortunately, the TiVo can't send the
same signal to two simultaneous recordings. On a DirecTiVo with no
higher-priority recordings, though, it'll tune both tuners to the same
channel and record everything.

How do other peeps handle this ?

Lots of ways, none of them very convenient:

- Manually watching for back-to-back episodes (or a run of different
shows on the same channel) and modifying recordings to get a whole
run in one session, vs. multiple recordings.
- Manually watching for back-to-back episodes and checking that start and
end times are correct.
- Manually adding padding so that it doesn't cause conflicts.
- Using a "soft padding" hack to add padding when it's possible (this
requires serious hacking, including opening the case to add software
to the hard disk).

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old January 24th 04, 11:43 PM
AmericanPsycho

thanks for the detailed reply - being that my tivo is only 6 days old, i'll
probably have some more questions. i have been googlin for most answers
and/or playing with it on my own.

now i must go watch the 7hr miniseries i recorded the other night =)
i swear, this tivo rocks.

Old January 26th 04, 02:36 PM

Why not? As a computer scientist, it is obvious to me that you can
make a separate recording of the _overlapped_ time, and have each
recording _share_ access to the same overlapped recording. This sort
of thing is done routinely in many types of computer science tasks. It
requires a bit of care when deleting one of the recordings, but it has
been well known in the state of the art how to do this for the past
45 years.