Hitachi 57S500 - cut-off screen

Old November 8th 03, 12:29 AM
Owlman

Default Hitachi 57S500 - cut-off screen

I was just down looking at this model at Sears. I really loved the
picture. It stood out from the rest the instant I came into the
store.

Only problem is, they had CNN on and the ticker-type news at the
bottom of the screen was cut off by about 1/2 on all of the Hitachi's
and a couple of other sets, too. I had just today read about someone
who had a problem with this, but now I can't find where I read it--on
this board or on HDTVoice.com.

At any rate, have any of you had this problem with Hitachi's or other
TV's. If so, how did you get it corrected. I know that the article I
read this morning mentioned that the poster was caught in between his
cable company and the Hitachi repair folk--both point fingers at the
other.

Before I act on this, I sure would like to think that this is
correctable with some basic vertical adjustment-type knob somewhere.

Would very much appreciate your comments.

Thanx
Old November 8th 03, 01:28 AM
mark french

Only problem is, they had CNN on and the ticker-type news at the
bottom of the screen was cut off by about 1/2 on all of the Hitachi's
and a couple of other sets, too.

Was it in zoom mode where it filled the widescreen? If so it will cut the top
and bottom off. On the Hitachi you can also adjust the vertical positioning
once in this zoom mode. If you were seeing cut-off with the set in 4:3 mode
(grey or black side bars) then I think this can be adjusted in the service mode
(overscan and/or vertical position)...Frenchy
Old November 8th 03, 02:20 AM
BB

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:29:02 -0800, Owlman wrote:

Only problem is, they had CNN on and the ticker-type news at the
bottom of the screen was cut off by about 1/2 on all of the Hitachi's
and a couple of other sets, too.

My Hitachi is a year old, but I imagine they're still doing the same
thing: in expanded mode, they not only stretch the sides but also zoom in
a bit (probably so they don't have to stretch the sides as much). Its
can be annoying; tickers are half or sometimes completely cut off, and on
some channels the scores & timer on football games are hidden. The
expanded mode is one of the biggest gripes among Hitachi owners, but
Hitachi doesn't seem to be doing much about it.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old November 8th 03, 03:31 AM
Owlman

So, not adjustable at all??? I would think this would be more than
annoying, depending on the particular program.

I'm now in a dilemma. We just came back from checking on all of our
"finalist" for new HDTV and the Hitachi 57S500 seems like the one
we're going to go for. We were going to go right after dinner. Now,
I'm not sure.

Grrrr! It's never easy!

Thanx for alerting me to this problem, tho. I'm glad to know it
before I make the final decision.

Old November 8th 03, 05:45 AM
mark french

My Hitachi is a year old, but I imagine they're still doing the same
thing: in expanded mode, they not only stretch the sides but also zoom in
a bit (probably so they don't have to stretch the sides as much). Its can

be annoying; tickers are half or sometimes completely cut off,timer on football
games are hidden. The expanded mode is one of the biggest gripes among
Hitachi owners,

Actually it sounded like Hitachi owners loved the new stretch mode on 4:3, it
zooms in less than a pure zoom mode so less is cut off, and it only stretches
the side edges so that things in in center of picture are not squished or
stretched. The only way to zoom on a 4:3 and not cut off the top and bottom is
to unnaturally stretch the entire picture where everybody looks like a
"fathead".
Old November 8th 03, 08:34 AM
mark french

We agreed with your assessment and did purchase this model thisevening.
We're pleased and we got what I think is an outstandingprice. If we're
watching a program with a ticker or something else on
the upper or lower edges, we'll just switch to the Standard 4:3 mode.

I think you'll like it, I got a 51s700 and think it looks killer, and you can
adjust the convergence so precisely on this thing from the main menu it let's
you make it perfect.....Frenchy