TiVo recordings coming up short -- WAY short

Old January 14th 05, 06:27 PM
Jim Beaver

Default TiVo recordings coming up short -- WAY short

I'm having frequent occurrences of TiVo recordings coming up 8, 10, 14, 32
minutes short. An hour show will stop recording after 34 minutes or
something like that. What makes this particularly weird is that it seems to
happen mainly with my Wednesday night recording of The West Wing. If it
weren't for that fact, I'd think maybe I've run out of disk space (don't
think so, but what other explanation?) or there's a glitch in the recorder.
(BTW, does running out of disk space result in partial taping of a show or a
refusal by the TiVo to attempt a show that's too big for the remaining
space?)

Anyone else run into this?

Jim Beaver

Old January 14th 05, 07:27 PM
SINNER

* Jim Beaver Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

I'm having frequent occurrences of TiVo recordings coming up 8,
10, 14, 32 minutes short. An hour show will stop recording after
34 minutes or something like that. What makes this particularly
weird is that it seems to happen mainly with my Wednesday night
recording of The West Wing. If it weren't for that fact, I'd
think maybe I've run out of disk space (don't think so, but what
other explanation?) or there's a glitch in the recorder. (BTW,
does running out of disk space result in partial taping of a show
or a refusal by the TiVo to attempt a show that's too big for the
remaining space?)

Anyone else run into this?

Just happend to me on a Manual record of Alias.

DTivo Series 2

--
David
Old January 14th 05, 07:45 PM
Sean

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:27:54 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
wrote:

I'm having frequent occurrences of TiVo recordings coming up 8, 10, 14, 32
minutes short. An hour show will stop recording after 34 minutes or
something like that. What makes this particularly weird is that it seems to
happen mainly with my Wednesday night recording of The West Wing. If it
weren't for that fact, I'd think maybe I've run out of disk space (don't
think so, but what other explanation?) or there's a glitch in the recorder.
(BTW, does running out of disk space result in partial taping of a show or a
refusal by the TiVo to attempt a show that's too big for the remaining
space?)

Anyone else run into this?

Jim Beaver

Get Comcasts DVR. It has a running total of how much disk space is
left. That's too complicated for your Tivo unit.

TIVO - Dead Company Walking

Sean

Old January 15th 05, 02:19 AM
Jack Zwick

SINNER wrote:

* Jim Beaver Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

I'm having frequent occurrences of TiVo recordings coming up 8,
10, 14, 32 minutes short. An hour show will stop recording after
34 minutes or something like that. What makes this particularly
weird is that it seems to happen mainly with my Wednesday night
recording of The West Wing. If it weren't for that fact, I'd
think maybe I've run out of disk space (don't think so, but what
other explanation?) or there's a glitch in the recorder. (BTW,
does running out of disk space result in partial taping of a show
or a refusal by the TiVo to attempt a show that's too big for the
remaining space?)

Anyone else run into this?

Just happend to me on a Manual record of Alias.

DTivo Series 2

Unless his wife starts ironing his shirts and causing a power glitch.
Old January 17th 05, 08:36 PM
Sean

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:39:19 -0700, Lenroc
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:45:22 -0500, Sean wrote:

Get Comcasts DVR. It has a running total of how much disk space is
left. That's too complicated for your Tivo unit.

The OP's issue has nothing to do with Disk Space, and I'd be willing to
bet good money he'd have more missed recordings (by glitches) on the
Comcast DVR than on any TiVo.

I have yet to miss a recording on mine. I used to miss them all the
time with TIVO's archaic IR Blaster technology.

So glad I'm not using that outdated technology anymore.

TIVO - Dead Company Walking

Sean

Old January 17th 05, 10:33 PM
David Frascone

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:36:07 -0500
Sean none wrote:

I have yet to miss a recording on mine. I used to miss them all the
time with TIVO's archaic IR Blaster technology.

So glad I'm not using that outdated technology anymore.

TIVO - Dead Company Walking

I hated that too. But, when I bought my first Tivo to replace the Dish Network DVR, it was night and day. Sure we missed some shows because of the blaster, but the tivo was such a step above that crappy DVR it was worth it.

Now I have the DirecTivo, with no blaster . . . mmMMMmmm Two tuners of goodness.

-Dave

--
David Frascone

Shell to DOS...come in, DOS...do you read...over?
Old January 18th 05, 03:30 AM
MegaZone

Sean none shaped the electrons to say:
I have yet to miss a recording on mine. I used to miss them all the
time with TIVO's archaic IR Blaster technology.

I've had TiVo using IR for several years now, first with
MediaOne/AT&T/Comcast Motorola boxes - with just a couple misses
total, and now with Scientific Atlanta boxes with 0 misses in 2.5
years.

No tents, nothing special. Well selected codes and properly
positioned emitters.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
URL:http://www.megazone.org/ URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/ Eris
Old January 18th 05, 04:38 PM
Sean

Sean none wrote:

I have yet to miss a recording on mine. I used to miss them all the
time with TIVO's archaic IR Blaster technology.

So glad I'm not using that outdated technology anymore.

TIVO - Dead Company Walking

I hated that too. But, when I bought my first Tivo to replace the Dish Network DVR, it was night and day. Sure we missed some shows because of the blaster, but the tivo was such a step above that crappy DVR it was worth it.

Now I have the DirecTivo, with no blaster . . . mmMMMmmm Two tuners of goodness.

-Dave

Yes, I know how you feel. The free Comcast DVR did that for me and
more. Too bad you had to spend $1000 tho. But the HD recording
is worth it, right? You do have HD don't you?

TIVO - Dead Company Walking

Sean
Old January 19th 05, 06:04 PM
jeffrey

wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:45:22 -0500, Sean wrote:

Get Comcasts DVR. It has a running total of how much disk space is
left. That's too complicated for your Tivo unit.

The OP's issue has nothing to do with Disk Space, and I'd be willing to
bet good money he'd have more missed recordings (by glitches) on the
Comcast DVR than on any TiVo.

I have yet to miss a recording on mine. I used to miss them all the
time with TIVO's archaic IR Blaster technology.

So glad I'm not using that outdated technology anymore.

TIVO - Dead Company Walking

Sean

stop picking on tivo.
Old January 19th 05, 06:05 PM
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:04:24 -0600, jeffrey wrote:
Sean wrote:

Sean

stop picking on tivo.

Sean's just a troll, he gets off on people giving him attention.