Jitter watching recorded Channel 5 programmes

Old October 7th 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Jitter watching recorded Channel 5 programmes

Just a quick question for you all, please, before I go into the gory detail.

I recorded the Paddington Station programme. All the adverts and trailers have "jitter" (maybe one double stutter per second) but all of the programme sections themselves are perfectly smooth.

I'm sure there must be an obvious explanation.

NextPVR recorder, playback on Android / Kodi.

Thanks
Old October 7th 18, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bizorg[email protected]

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 2:22:51 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Just a quick question for you all, please, before I go into the gory detail.

I recorded the Paddington Station programme. All the adverts and trailers have "jitter" (maybe one double stutter per second) but all of the programme sections themselves are perfectly smooth.

I'm sure there must be an obvious explanation.

NextPVR recorder, playback on Android / Kodi.

Thanks

Many thanks. Nice answer!
That's my latest theory, but the Android box is the same as the one mentioned in this fix which I tried:-
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=320262
- which has made no difference.

And I don't know enough about broadcasting standards to be able to explain to myself why some of the recording is OK and the rest isn't!
Old October 7th 18, 11:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
Just a quick question for you all, please, before I go into the gory
detail.

I recorded the Paddington Station programme. All the adverts and trailers
have "jitter" (maybe one double stutter per second) but all of the
programme sections themselves are perfectly smooth.

I'm sure there must be an obvious explanation.

NextPVR recorder, playback on Android / Kodi.

Thanks

If you play the file on the PC that recorded it, using something like
Videolan VLC player - or even NextPVR's own player, so you see the problem?
In other words, is it the recorded file that's at fault or the
across-the-LAN playback?

If it happens in VLC, try stopping somewhere within the adverts that are
affected and step through frame by frame. If it's happening once every
second, you should see a discontinuity or pause in the motion roughly once
every 25 frames (1 second).

Old October 8th 18, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
But why would it only affect adverts?

That's what puzzles me too. I know some channels (eg Yesterday, Talking
Pictures, Drama) change the aspect ratio between 4:3 archive programme and
16:9 adverts, but it's still 720 x 576 (or 544 x 576) MPEG video at 25p, so
nothing more than the aspect ratio is being changed.

The OP's issue with Channel 5 sounds weird. I'll be interested when he
replies to say whether it affects playback in VLC locally on the PC, as
opposed to streaming across his LAN to an Android device.

Old October 8th 18, 11:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 09:16:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

But why would it only affect adverts?

Different playout machine perhaps? I often see this on streaming
services, particularly "All4". The adverts can be fuzzy, pixellated
and jerky but the actual programme that follows looks perfectly fine.

You'd think they might want to take extra trouble to get the adverts
right because that's where the money is, but that's their problem, not
mine, so as long as I get to watch the programmes I don't really care.

Rod.

---

Old October 8th 18, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 10:09:24 PM UTC+1, NY wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I've wiped last week, but I'm hoping that the same will happen again with tonight's - so I'll report back!
Old October 8th 18, 05:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

You mention the sound stuttering, what effect does the picture show. Could
it be some kind of system trying to re sync the audio with the picture.
People do tell me that sometimes lip sinc in adverts is bad.

Old October 8th 18, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 4:45:46 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
You mention the sound stuttering, what effect does the picture show. Could
it be some kind of system trying to re sync the audio with the picture.
People do tell me that sometimes lip sinc in adverts is bad.
Brian

Sorry Brian - "stutter" was the wrong word. Audio is fine. Video only.