How do you turn on audio description on I Player

Old October 5th 18, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How do you turn on audio description on I Player

A simple thing. This used to be a simple case of using b for button and
running down the page till you heard, watch with audio description. but the
recent changes seem to have stopped this. I have tried links, buttons and
all sorts of the other things, and if you hit watch it tarts playing it
without any AD, so what is the trick. I find it hard to believe that a
perfectly logical system has been replaced with no actual help file to tell
you how to do it. I bet its bleedin obvious to a sighted person. And before
anyone says are you sure its on it, well, all Dr Who episodes have it so I
chose an old one of those. It could be of course that the BBC in their
ultimate cock up ridden way have 'forgotten' to include it, which now puts
them against the law as far as the latest Offcom rulings state, at least if
you interpret that if a program had an AD track when transmitted this should
be available via catch up or paid for streams as well.

Obviously there is a period of grace for such things, but as the BBc has
been doing it for some years its seems strange if they have lost it.
Add to that their guide on I players seems not to indicate which of their
current programs have an AD track, so how can one know which to select if it
is not actually flagged. Of course once again they might have an unlabelled
graphic for this which makes their sight inaccessible to the very people who
would want the option That is another offcom ruling. All program guides
must be accessible either via spoken word or on the web in an accessible
form.

Come on BBC blindfold yourselves and make the web site intuitive to us too?
So anyone care to write me a simple tutorial?
IE Find program page, then what?

Old October 5th 18, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

A simple thing. This used to be a simple case of using b for button and
running down the page till you heard, watch with audio description. but the
recent changes seem to have stopped this. I have tried links, buttons and
all sorts of the other things

when playing a programme, I see a link "watch with AD" which just seems
to insert a path of "/ad/" after the programme ID into the URL, e.g.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06crp3c/ad

compared to the non-described

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06crp3c

Given you have to sign-in to watch, you'd think they could record a
preference against your BBC account to make it default to the AD version?
Old October 5th 18, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

OK the fools have actually not included the ad version on the dr who page.
That is absolutely daft. I forced it to the /ad/ on the end and it jumped
back to the address without it.
Lets hope they fix it for next week, as I shall be having to watch the new
series of Dr who on catch up since their stupid idea of moving it to
sundays. I wonder if it will get a repeat in BBC 2 later in the week at a
time and hour I'm actually in to watch it?

Old October 5th 18, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

I forced it to the /ad/ on the end and it jumped
back to the address without it.

I presume that's because 'Doctor Who' isn't audio described as far as I
can tell.
Old October 5th 18, 04:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Also, How are they flagging up AD on the list when you are looking at
programs that are available?

From the general list of programmes you can't seem to tell without
going to each programme and checking if it's available, however you can
get a list of programmes that are audio described

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/audio-described/featured
Old October 5th 18, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 05/10/2018 16:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I forced it to the /ad/ on the end and it jumped
back to the address without it.

I presume that's because 'Doctor Who' isn't audio described as far as I
can tell.

Radio Times says it is.

--
Max Demian
Old October 5th 18, 05:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

'Doctor Who' isn't audio described as far as I can tell.

Radio Times says it is.

iPlayer says otherwise ...

Old October 5th 18, 07:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

They obviously seem to think, then that we only watch those? There are many
which do not need it and so what would be good is a little marked graphic
available with ad in the list for a given day. The whole point of
accessibility is to allow us to use the site as others do, and as we have no
overview, it would make perfect sense to have it against the list as you
cursor down it.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Also, How are they flagging up AD on the list when you are looking at
programs that are available?

From the general list of programmes you can't seem to tell without going