Aerial installation (may be one for Bill)

Old October 2nd 18, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

Default Aerial installation (may be one for Bill)

On Tue 02/10/2018 17:12, Andrew wrote:
On 01/10/2018 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
One newspaper, even a centrist one

Well that won't be the grundian or the inde, will it !

Since when has the Grauniad been centerist? It's more left than the
Mirror these days?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old October 2nd 18, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 01/10/2018 00:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Actually the issue is that we are an aging society, as we are too good at
health. So we need lots more children earning and paying tax to support us.
However they seem to have missed the elephant here. The more babies there
are then later on even more children will be needed to support those in old
age. Nobody has grasped the nettle and worked out we did not pay enough to
keep ourselves when old.
Brian

If we hadn't allowed a communist GP treating communist welsh miners
to create the 'national elf service' (with a massive grant from uncle
sam), then we wouldn't have spent the best part of £trillions of our
money keeping people alive well past their natural sell-by date since
1948, in return for 7 shillings and 6d weekly stamp.

Germany quitely reformed its health system 30 years ago, not that
you would have read about it in the grundian or seen it on bbc 'news'.

They saw the writing on the wall (re aging folks) and dealt with it.
They spent their money on investment instead and the facts now speak
for themselves. Want a forklift truck ? -(German), massive crane
(German) TBM (German), MRI and CT Scanners (Germany), cars++ (Germany),
trucks (Germany), kitchens (germany), Software (SAP, German),
Trams and Trains (German), power tools (Germany), .....
'syrian' immigrants (Germany :-( )
Old October 2nd 18, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 02/10/2018 17:22, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Free-at-the-point-of-delivery health care for all, irrespective of
wealth or age, is the mark of a truly civilised society. We should be
immensely proud of our NHS.

Old October 2nd 18, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
[...]

Trouble is, too many people have no respect for something that is free.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 2nd 18, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_10_]

On 02/10/2018 17:38, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

"Free at the point of delivery" is not the same as, and does not
require, "paid for out of general taxation[1]" and "provided by a public
sector body[2]".

If you are willing to contemplate heresy, ask yourself why - if the NHS
is so wonderful - it hasn't been imitated in the many other States where
health care is largely[3] free at the point of delivery.

Look eg at

Belgium: mutuals funded by the state per member and competing for
members by their services

Germany: insurance (which can also cover long-term care) can be with one
of hundreds of funds; a State fund covers unemployed etc

Sweden: regional councils run the providers with most money coming from
local taxes. Most care is free but many people do a small capitation
fee to see a GP (it reduces spurious visits) and for drugs

Netherlands: compulsory insurance (for heath and for long-term care) but
from any of a number of providers. Government funds poor. Rates cannot
vary with age or health.

[1] yes, I know part of National Insurance contributions goes to the NHS
but that's a tax as far as most payers are concerned these days

[2] yes, I also know that GPs have always been separate, private
businesses; and that - especially after introduction of foundation
trusts - the NHS has been Balkanised

[2] the position in England given prescription charges, dental charges,
charges for eye tests...

--
Robin
Old October 4th 18, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 02/10/2018 17:38, Bill Wright wrote:
Free-at-the-point-of-delivery health care for all, irrespective of
wealth or age, is the mark of a truly civilised society. We should be
immensely proud of our NHS.

Good as it is, it isn't free at the point of delivery. You have to pay
the dentist and prescription charges.

Andy

Old October 4th 18, 10:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_7_]

On 04/10/2018 21:55, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 04/10/2018 20:42, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 02/10/2018 17:38, Bill Wright wrote:
Free-at-the-point-of-delivery health care for all, irrespective of
wealth or age, is the mark of a truly civilised society. We should be
immensely proud of our NHS.

Good as it is, it isn't free at the point of delivery. You have to pay
the dentist and prescription charges.

Andy

And eye tests

Free if you're over 60, or fall into certain other categories.

Like prescription charges which also don't apply if you're over 60,
under 16, a student, pregnant, or on benefits, or if the precription is
for contraceptives, or indeed virtually anything else. It's not very
well known, but about 90% of all prescriptions in England are actually
dispensed free of charge.

Charges for dentistry are another matter though.
Old October 4th 18, 10:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/10/2018 20:42, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 02/10/2018 17:38, Bill Wright wrote:
Free-at-the-point-of-delivery health care for all, irrespective of
wealth or age, is the mark of a truly civilised society. We should be
immensely proud of our NHS.

Good as it is, it isn't free at the point of delivery. You have to pay
the dentist and prescription charges.

Andy

Some things were just too expensive. Tempering what's right with what's
practicable. But dental costs are subsidised and prescriptions are
capped by the season ticket, and are free for the elderly.

An imperfection does not render a good thing bad or valueless.