Aerial installation (may be one for Bill)

Old September 30th 18, 09:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

Default Aerial installation (may be one for Bill)

I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged 350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?
Old September 30th 18, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 30/09/2018 20:28, Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged £350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

I have line of sight to my transmitter. It's 26 miles away - how far is
hers? It will make a difference.

Andy
Old September 30th 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged 350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

Depends on where she was. Rosneath transmitting aerial has a cardiod
pattern aiming at Greenock. If she's up the side of the Gareloch, signals
aren't all that strong. There's an HP component (ISTR) from a dedicated
log pointing at tbe Garelochhead trasmitter.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 30th 18, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 30/09/2018 20:28, Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged £350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

It seems likely. There's a problem in some rural areas that there's very
little or no competition. I had a friend who had a similar quote (£300
for the aerial and £100 for a phone extension). She'd moved to a rural
town that had just one TV business. The next nearest installer was 55
miles away.

Sometimes these rural businesses overcharge incomers on principle, I
think. They also assume that second-homers are rolling in it.

Travel costs can be very high if there isn't an installer anywhere near.
A normal job (not a difficult roof etc) feeding one TV set should cost
around £100. Excess travel can reasonably be charged at 75p per mile
both ways.

When I was working I had a few commercial customers who wouldn't let
anyone touch their RF systems, and it led to some ridiculous invoices.
£400 for travel, £100 for accommodation, 20p for materials. That sort of
thing.

This is a bit interesting isn't it? I'd better put some boring sewage in
it for Mr Jive. Let me see now. Let's think about the housing crisis.
85% of the UK's population increase from 2000 to 2015 is explained by
migrants and their children. All these new people have to live
somewhere. The pressure on housing, among many other social provisions,
is intensified by the fact that on average foreign-born mothers have
more children (2.06 in 2016) than women born in Britain (only 1.75). Do
I sound bigoted? People can be bigoted, but facts can’t be. The UK’s
housing crisis rests hand-in-glove with mass immigration.

Old September 30th 18, 10:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:44:28 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 30/09/2018 20:28, Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged 350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

I have line of sight to my transmitter. It's 26 miles away - how far is
hers? It will make a difference.

It looks like about a mile - across water.
Old September 30th 18, 10:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:54:29 +0100, charles

Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged 350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

Depends on where she was. Rosneath transmitting aerial has a cardiod
pattern aiming at Greenock. If she's up the side of the Gareloch, signals
aren't all that strong. There's an HP component (ISTR) from a dedicated
log pointing at tbe Garelochhead trasmitter.

Rhu, so just across the water.
Old September 30th 18, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

On 30/09/2018 20:28, Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged 350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

I have line of sight to my transmitter. It's 26 miles away - how far is
hers? It will make a difference.

It looks like about a mile - across water.

which bit of water? The Clyde, The Gareloch or Loch Long?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 30th 18, 10:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Scott wrote:
I visited a former colleague today who has bought a cottage where
there is line of sight to Rosneath transmitter. She was charged 350
to install a TV aerial. Was she overcharged?

Depends on where she was. Rosneath transmitting aerial has a cardiod
pattern aiming at Greenock. If she's up the side of the Gareloch, signals
aren't all that strong. There's an HP component (ISTR) from a dedicated
log pointing at tbe Garelochhead trasmitter.

Rhu, so just across the water.

There should be a pretty good signal there.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 1st 18, 12:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
brightside

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 21:04:08 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

[...]

If JJ gets his facts from the Gruniad he'll tell you you are wrong!

--
brightside S9
Old October 1st 18, 01:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Blimey, how far did the bloke come?

Mind you drilling into the wall of a stone cottage and then getting the mast
vertical can pose interesting challenges.