out of focus

Old September 29th 18, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_6_]

Default out of focus

On 29/09/2018 17:14, Java Jive wrote:

On 29/09/2018 17:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well we each build our model of the universe in our heads and try to only
look at stuff that reinforces it. Its a known fact. I heard it on Radio 4
:-)

Nice remark, and certainly it describes Bill very well¬* -¬* heaven forbid
that he should be obliged to watch something that challenges his bigotry
!-)

As a matter of interest, should (for instance) you be obliged to watch
something that challenges yours?

Or would that be Completely Different [TM]?
Old September 29th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/09/2018 17:14, Java Jive wrote:
On 29/09/2018 17:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well we each build our model of the universe in our heads and try to only
look at stuff that reinforces it. Its a known fact. I heard it on Radio 4
:-)

Nice remark, and certainly it describes Bill very well¬* -¬* heaven forbid
that he should be obliged to watch something that challenges his bigotry
!-)

You're talking about confirmation bias. It's something we all need to be
aware of.

Old September 29th 18, 08:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 29/09/2018 20:12, JNugent wrote:
On 29/09/2018 17:14, Java Jive wrote:

On 29/09/2018 17:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well we each build our model of the universe in our heads and try to
only
look at stuff that reinforces it. Its a known fact. I heard it on
Radio 4
:-)

Nice remark, and certainly it describes Bill very well¬* -¬* heaven
forbid that he should be obliged to watch something that challenges
his bigotry !-)

As a matter of interest, should (for instance) you be obliged to watch
something that challenges yours?

I already do, I listen to and watch programmes that tell me facts,
whereas Bill reads the Daily Mail.

Or would that be Completely Different [TM]?

It's the same, but different.
Old September 29th 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/09/2018 20:39, Java Jive wrote:

As a matter of interest, should (for instance) you be obliged to watch
something that challenges yours?

I already do, I listen to and watch programmes that tell me facts,
whereas Bill reads the Daily Mail.

You're badly out of date. The Mail has changed a lot in recent years. I
don't read it though and never have. I've bought it a few times when I
haven't been able to get a Times or a Telegraph, and I've not liked it
at all.

It has a very large circulation though, so clearly a lot of people do
like it.

Old September 29th 18, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Actually I'm thinking about taking Hil and the big mobility scooter to the
car park at Dunford Bridge and walking that section, going towards
Penistone. Railway walks are ideal for us.

I have vague memories of my grandpa taking us on a Grand Day Out from their
house in Ossett across the moors and stopping at Dunford Bridge to watch the
freight trains (coal, probably) rushing in and out of Woodhead tunnel.

About 10 years ago, probably soon after I got my own car, and a few years
after the line closed completely, I drove most of the length of the line
from Sheffield to Woodhead, and a lot of the level crossing gates and signal
boxes were still there but in a very tatty state - and I bet that hadn't
happened just since the closure. I stopped at Dunford Bridge and walked
towards Penistone, and it was a nice walk, though the ground was very rough
because the sleepers had been lifted but the ballast hadn't been smoothed
over or tarmaced. I imagine it's a lot better now since it's a cycle track.

When the Cinder Track (Whitby to Scarborough line) has been resurfaced
(there was an article about plans to do this) it should make a good route.
I'm not sure how wheelchair/scooter-accessible it is, but almost certainly
both ways from Ravenscar will be OK. Shame that the section between Sandsend
station and tunnel, past the remains of the alum quarrying, is only
accessible by steep stairs at each end.

Another good route is the old Northallerton-Ripon-Harrogate line from Bilton
to Ripley, with a good view of the River Nidd from the viaduct, and I can
recommend the ice creams from the tiny shop in Ripley opposite the side
turning to the castle. There's free parking at either end.

Old September 30th 18, 05:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/09/2018 21:36, NY wrote:

Another good route is the old Northallerton-Ripon-Harrogate line from
Bilton to Ripley, with a good view of the River Nidd from the viaduct,
and I can recommend the ice creams from the tiny shop in Ripley opposite
the side turning to the castle. There's free parking at either end.

I'll investigate that. Thanks.

Old September 30th 18, 05:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/09/2018 22:24, Java Jive wrote:

You're badly out of date. The Mail has changed a lot in recent years.
I don't read it though and never have. I've bought it a few times when
I haven't been able to get a Times or a Telegraph, and I've not liked
it at all.

If that was true, you wouldn't keep referring to stories from it

Suit yourself. I can't arsed to prove it to you. I could post a copy of
the newsagent's monthly bill or I could photograph a whole lot of
Timeses that are on my desk right now, but why should I waste my time?

Old September 30th 18, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Sun 30/09/2018 05:42, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/09/2018 21:36, NY wrote:

Another good route is the old Northallerton-Ripon-Harrogate line from
Bilton to Ripley, with a good view of the River Nidd from the viaduct,
and I can recommend the ice creams from the tiny shop in Ripley
opposite the side turning to the castle. There's free parking at
either end.

I'll investigate that. Thanks.

Better make it (relatively) quick Bill. There has been mooting for a
long time about a northern by-pass for Harrogate and if the proposed
route goes ahead it may well involve the demolition of the Nidd viaduct.

Per parking you are better off going to Ripley as it is a smooth flat
walk into the village from the car park (or car park road) whereas it
isn't at the Bilton end although there is a nice pub down there.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 30th 18, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes indeed. I was attempting to be humorous, with a little bit of truth
thrown in or gently chucked in the general direction in my case.

Note one develops a thick skin when one cannot tell who is in a room you are
speaking in.
You are bound to upset somebody.

Old September 30th 18, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

news
On 29/09/2018 21:36, NY wrote:

Another good route is the old Northallerton-Ripon-Harrogate line from
Bilton to Ripley, with a good view of the River Nidd from the viaduct,
and I can recommend the ice creams from the tiny shop in Ripley opposite
the side turning to the castle. There's free parking at either end.

I'll investigate that. Thanks.

Better make it (relatively) quick Bill. There has been mooting for a long
time about a northern by-pass for Harrogate and if the proposed route goes
ahead it may well involve the demolition of the Nidd viaduct.

Per parking you are better off going to Ripley as it is a smooth flat walk
into the village from the car park (or car park road) whereas it isn't at
the Bilton end although there is a nice pub down there.

Just remembered another one. The old line between Selby and York, before the
East Coast Main Line was diverted to the west to avoid subsidence caused by
Selby coalfields. You can park at Askham Bar park and ride and there's a
gentle spiral ramp to the trackbed. All along the length are models of the
planets, at scale size and spacing, which just shows how minuscule the
planets are in relation to the distance between them. At one point the
trackbed goes through a housing estate, and the route is not as well
signposted as it could be, so a GPS map might be useful to get you back onto
the trackbed at the other side of the estate.