out of focus

Old September 29th 18, 04:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default out of focus

Just watched Walking Britain's Lost Railways, the one about the
Sheffield to Manchester line. Many times during the programme the
picture was out of focus. I don't mean as an arty effect; this was
accidental. Sometimes focus was regained but often quite long shots were
blurred from start to finish. I wonder what went wrong.

Incidentally I watch far more C5 now than BBC. It's refreshing to not
have the 'agenda' jumping out all the time.

Old September 29th 18, 07:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 29/09/18 04:42, Bill Wright wrote:
Just watched Walking Britain's Lost Railways, the one about the
Sheffield to Manchester line. Many times during the programme the
picture was out of focus. I don't mean as an arty effect; this was
accidental. Sometimes focus was regained but often quite long shots were
blurred from start to finish. I wonder what went wrong.

At one stage he also mentioned a lamp post, wondering when it was last
used. He pointed towards it, and the camera panned over. It was
effectively obscured by the trees, so what was the point of mentioning it?

It's a rather strange programme; that walk would take a couple of days,
but it's shoehorned into about 45 minutes. I wonder what they leave out?

Incidentally I watch far more C5 now than BBC. It's refreshing to not
have the 'agenda' jumping out all the time.

C5 seems to have a lot of "New" programmes on in the evening, according
to the Radio Times.

--

Jeff
Old September 29th 18, 09:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Was it film, by any chance. I do remember those times when the gate was not
strong enough to keep the film in the right focal plane. This was obvious
due to the presumably lower light levels used by telecine machines. and
depth of field was poor.

news

Old September 29th 18, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I do detect that the BBC seem to be attempting to be more neutral but that
has resulted in obvious bias swings from one side to the other. I wonder if
that is because so many independent productions are now commissioned?

news

Old September 29th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 29/09/2018 04:42, Bill Wright wrote:

Incidentally I watch far more C5 now than BBC. It's refreshing to not
have the 'agenda' jumping out all the time.

It would be nice for us not to have your agenda jumping out all the time.
Old September 29th 18, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/09/2018 07:51, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 29/09/18 04:42, Bill Wright wrote:
Just watched Walking Britain's Lost Railways, the one about the
Sheffield to Manchester line. Many times during the programme the
picture was out of focus. I don't mean as an arty effect; this was
accidental. Sometimes focus was regained but often quite long shots were
blurred from start to finish. I wonder what went wrong.

At one stage he also mentioned a lamp post, wondering when it was last
used. He pointed towards it, and the camera panned over. It was
effectively obscured by the trees, so what was the point of mentioning it?

Yes I noticed that. Why not get a clear shot of the lamp post? I know
from photographing transmission masts in wooded areas that it's almost
always possible to find somewhere where there's a clear view.

It's a rather strange programme; that walk would take a couple of days,
but it's shoehorned into about 45 minutes. I wonder what they leave out?

There's actually only two stretches that are worth talking about.
Actually I'm thinking about taking Hil and the big mobility scooter to
the car park at Dunford Bridge and walking that section, going towards
Penistone. Railway walks are ideal for us.

Talking of Dunford Bridge, years ago I was asked to have a look at a
self-help system there based on the pub. It was a total shambles, but
no-one wanted to cough up for a decent job.

Incidentally I watch far more C5 now than BBC. It's refreshing to not
have the 'agenda' jumping out all the time.

C5 seems to have a lot of "New" programmes on in the evening, according
to the Radio Times.

The programmes about North Korea were excellent.

These days it's either C5 HD or Quest HD for us most of the time. Every
time I watch a BBC programme I seem to end up feeling as if they've been
trying to brainwash me into accepting their own mindset, instead of
tailoring the programmes to suit me the viewer.

Old September 29th 18, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/09/2018 11:07, Java Jive wrote:
On 29/09/2018 04:42, Bill Wright wrote:

Incidentally I watch far more C5 now than BBC. It's refreshing to not
have the 'agenda' jumping out all the time.

It would be nice for us not to have your agenda jumping out all the time.

You want me to not mention something that is a major factor in my choice
of TV programmes because it might hurt your feelings? Poor little
snowflake! Diddums!

Old September 29th 18, 05:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 29/09/2018 12:52, Bill Wright wrote:

These days it's either C5 HD or Quest HD for us most of the time. Every
time I watch a BBC programme I seem to end up feeling as if they've been
trying to brainwash me into accepting their own mindset, instead of
tailoring the programmes to suit me the viewer.

Why should they tailor their programmes to a mindless bigot?
Old September 29th 18, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 29/09/2018 17:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well we each build our model of the universe in our heads and try to only
look at stuff that reinforces it. Its a known fact. I heard it on Radio 4
:-)

Nice remark, and certainly it describes Bill very well - heaven forbid
that he should be obliged to watch something that challenges his bigotry !-)