Reception problems during heavy rain?

Old September 23rd 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Laurence Taylor

Default Reception problems during heavy rain?

On 21/09/2018 23:38, Bill Wright wrote:

Satellite or landline?..

Neither. Inside the tower at ground level is a great big space. That's
where they make all the programmes. They record them on a VCR and a boy
takes the tape to the lift. It takes ten minutes for the lift to climb
to the top of the tower, where a man puts the tape in his VCR and
presses play. The output of the VCR's modulator is connected to the
aerial. At least that's how it used to be done. Probably slightly
different now everything's gone digital. Maybe they use a dongle of some
sort.

Now that brings back memories ... except in my day it was a C90 cassette
and a Ford Escort.

--
rgds
LAurence

Old September 25th 18, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article , harrogate3
@ntlworld.com says...

I thought the only person that was allowed to call you William was Hil -
and then only if you had been naughty?

Many years ago I used to visit a pub at lunchtime where one of
the bar staff was known as Babs. She always insisted on
calling me Tell, which I hate.

One day she served me and didn't have enough change in her
till and asked me if it was ok to give it to me later. "That's
ok Barbara", I said. "Oh, don't call me that! The only times
my father called me Barbara, I knew I was in serious
trouble!" she replied.

"Same here - if my mum called me Terence James I knew I'd
really overstepped the mark!" I said, then I had a thought.

"I'll tell you what: you call me Terry and I'll call you
Babs!" I said, to which she agreed.

Old habits die hard, so there waas the occasional slip but I
would just call her Barbara in return - "Oh" Sorry, Terry"
she'd say. "Thats ok Babs!" I'd reply.

It took a few weeks but we got there in the end.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 29th 18, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Mark Carver
writes
On 22/09/2018 22:59, Ian Jackson wrote:

Bilsdale is a long, long way south of the Chatton transmitter
(possibly 90 to 100 miles). However, IIRC it came into UHF service
before PP,

No. BBC 2 Nov 1969, BBC 1 and ITV April 1971.

Pontop was earlier

BBC 2 Nov 1966, BBC 1 and ITV July 1970.

In the 70s and 80s Bilsdale was off air fed from Pontop for all
channels, in the 90s Tyne Tees stated showing separate news and ads
from it so it became SHF fed for ITV only. It remained off air fed
from Pontop for 1/2/4 analogue until DSO in 2012.

I've checked my contraband BBC routing maps. Chatton never had any RBS
standby source for BBC 1/2. Only ever fed from Pontop. So if PP died,
so would Chatton. Remember, it has a population coverage smaller than
some large relays so no imperative to provide anything.

All noted.
I could have sworn blind (well, I did!) that Bilsdale preceded PP - but
obviously not.

Nevertheless, I still seem to recall literally one or two large
south-pointing UHF TV aerials going up in Seahouses before PP - but if
I'm right, heaven knows what they were intended to receive.
--
Ian
Old September 29th 18, 02:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly Bilsdale. Pontop doesn't get everywhere in Northumberland
- there are hills

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 29th 18, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Sat 29/09/2018 13:00, Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

Fenham?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 29th 18, 04:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

But not between PP and Seahouses.

According to the mb21 map, Bilsdale reaches Newbiggin by the Sea (which
is around 25 miles south of Seahouses) - so it almost certainly creeps
weakly even further north.

However, PP is quite a good signal in most of Seahouses, and if PP was
running first, there would have been no point in trying to receive
Bilsdale.

Chatton is, of course, and colossal signal in Seahouses (I made my MIL a
folded dipole from a coat hanger, and taped to the windowsill, behind
the curtains) - and as the TX aerial is an omni (or used to be), it
probably reached half way to Denmark.
--
Ian
Old September 29th 18, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , charles
writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:
[...]

But not Berwick on Tweed (or Twedmouth), which has its own relay.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 29th 18, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Woody
writes
On Sat 29/09/2018 13:00, Ian Jackson wrote:

All noted.
I could have sworn blind (well, I did!) that Bilsdale preceded PP -
but obviously not.
Nevertheless, I still seem to recall literally one or two large
south-pointing UHF TV aerials going up in Seahouses before PP - but if
I'm right, heaven knows what they were intended to receive.

Fenham?

Nah. Fenham's 40 miles away - and it's only a 400W (digital - so
probably 1kW-ish analogue) fill-in for the south side of the Tyne
(obscured from PP, even though the TX is only a few miles to the south),
and the area immediately to the north and west of high ground of Fenham
/ Benwell.

I'm beginning to suspect that some of my memory banks might be worn out.
--
Ian
Old September 29th 18, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 29/09/2018 16:02, Ian Jackson wrote:

Nah. Fenham's 40 miles away - and it's only a 400W (digital - so
probably 1kW-ish analogue) fill-in for the south side of the Tyne
(obscured from PP, even though the TX is only a few miles to the south),
and the area immediately to the north and west of high ground of Fenham

Fenham obviously wouldn't have been there before Pontop either !

And it was (still is) VP

--
Mark