Reception problems during heavy rain?

Old September 22nd 18, 12:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Reception problems during heavy rain?

On 21/09/2018 16:22, Jeff Gaines wrote:

But remember the cobbler's shoes parable - Bill probably uses a wire
coat hanger hanging off the chimney :-)

There's a lot of truth in that parable. Although you mean the cobbler's
son I think. Stalin was a cobbler's son. This is going nowhere.

Old September 22nd 18, 12:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/09/2018 22:25, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone know where Emley gets her input signals from at all?.

Satellite or landline?..

Neither. Inside the tower at ground level is a great big space. That's
where they make all the programmes. They record them on a VCR and a boy
takes the tape to the lift. It takes ten minutes for the lift to climb
to the top of the tower, where a man puts the tape in his VCR and
presses play. The output of the VCR's modulator is connected to the
aerial. At least that's how it used to be done. Probably slightly
different now everything's gone digital. Maybe they use a dongle of some
sort.

Old September 22nd 18, 12:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/09/2018 23:43, Woody wrote:

I already answered, like all main stations Emley is fed on fibre with
dual redundancy.

Yes this is correct. Many people are unaware, however, of the 'teething
troubles' that arose when fibre was first deployed. These problems were
kept as quiet as possible because they arose from a gross miscalculation
by the engineers involved.
London is only just above sea level, whereas Emley Moor is on very high
ground. As Einstein had showed many years before, light, despite having
no mass, is affected by gravity. The theory was proved by Sir Arthur
Eddington in 1919 when he observed the bending of starlight that had
passed close to the sun.
The consequence of this regarding the fibre link to Emley was that the
light ran out of puff so to speak when it attempted to ascend to Emley.
After an embarrassing hiatus the problem was solved when the son of one
of the engineers pointed his bulls-eye torch into the back of the light
transmitter. The extra power was enough to make the light travel further
up the hill and reach Emley Moor.
You might have noticed brief breaks in transmission at around 4am. This
is to allow the boy to change the battery in his torch. It's one of
those rather fiddly four-and-a-half volt ones that need the two prongs
to be bent a bit to fit, so sometimes the break can be as long as five
minutes. Long/medium terms problems are anticipated, because the boy
keeps falling asleep in class. It has been suggested that the battery
should be changed after homework, at about 6pm.

Old September 22nd 18, 07:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 22/09/18 00:57, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

I think that is worthy of an Ig Nobel prize.

--

Jeff
Old September 22nd 18, 09:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_9_]

On 21/09/2018 21:25, Graham. wrote:

But if I recall correctly the various forms of that proverb[1], it may
be his lad Paul that's watching his picture fall off the digital cliff
when the coat hanger swings or the string fries out.

Ah, "Dries out" as in "Wet piece of string".

yes; lorry abut by billy hypo

--
Robin
Old September 22nd 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:50:15 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

We only moved to this house in 1978 because
(a) I was fed up with the ghosting we'd had in every previous house
(b) I parked up and checked the signals and deduced that we would be
able to get Granada, and also Central (important for Hil's Crossroads;
she's a Brummie)

Nowadays househunters check the availability and speed of broadband
internet. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Rod.

---

Old September 22nd 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 00:38:38 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Anyone know where Emley gets her input signals from at all?.

Satellite or landline?..

Neither. Inside the tower at ground level is a great big space. That's
where they make all the programmes. They record them on a VCR and a boy
takes the tape to the lift. It takes ten minutes for the lift to climb
to the top of the tower, where a man puts the tape in his VCR and
presses play. The output of the VCR's modulator is connected to the
aerial. At least that's how it used to be done. Probably slightly
different now everything's gone digital. Maybe they use a dongle of some
sort.

Bill

Are you sure your surname isn't really Heath-Robinson?

Rod.

---

Old September 22nd 18, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 21:25:08 +0100, Graham. wrote:

But if I recall correctly the various forms of that proverb[1], it may
be his lad Paul that's watching his picture fall off the digital cliff
when the coat hanger swings or the string fries out.

Ah, "Dries out" as in "Wet piece of string".

Well, duh! A rather conservative typo where the errant finger tip had
drifted right of centre to hit the "F" key immediately adjacent to the
target "D" key. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old September 22nd 18, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:34:59 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 21/09/2018 21:25, Graham. wrote:

But if I recall correctly the various forms of that proverb[1], it may
be his lad Paul that's watching his picture fall off the digital cliff
when the coat hanger swings or the string fries out.

Ah, "Dries out" as in "Wet piece of string".

yes; lorry abut by billy hypo

Very lame. The only credible typo word example in that sentence being
the final one.

If you ever feel impelled to disregard the sage advice about not
pointing out spelling errors in a Usenet posting, then at least have the
common sense to exclude those that can simply be explained away as
"finger trouble" (a "typo").

A quick check of your own keyboard to confirm your suspicions should
clarify the situation and suppress the urge to needlessly criticise these
"spelling mistakes". Obviously, if a posting is so liberally laced with
typos as to make interpreting it hard work, then, by all means, please
feel free to criticise it for the slapdash approach taken in its
production.

Anyone who thinks they can get away with the lame excuse for making no
consideration whatsoever for others in the name of making a swift reply
under extremely (to them) tight restraints upon their time, deserves all
the criticism they get imo. If their time is *so* 'precious', why the
Hell are they wasting any of it reading (let alone responding) to Usenet
postings in the first place?

I'm sure that most contributors with something worth contributing who
are cursed by Dyslexia or any condition that afflicts their typographical
prowess with a computer keyboard will have had the wit to install and
train up a speech to text application to get around their problems
anyway, so I am only having a pop at those with no consideration for
their audience's own 'time constraints'.

As is typical for postings of this nature, where the questions of
spelling, grammar and typographical accuracy are raised, there's usually
at least one or more such errors to be found lurking within no matter how
carefully it may have been proofed by, in this case, yours truly. :-(

I anticipate evidence, of the principle that it's always best to have
someone *else* proof read your opus magni, to materialise in this thread
quite shortly. Having tweaked the beard of Sod, so to speak, it's almost
inevitable that I will become the recipient of well meant criticism in
regard of the very qualities of Usenet postings I've just described. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old September 22nd 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 00:31:54 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 21/09/2018 16:22, Jeff Gaines wrote:

But remember the cobbler's shoes parable - Bill probably uses a wire
coat hanger hanging off the chimney :-)

There's a lot of truth in that parable. Although you mean the cobbler's
son I think. Stalin was a cobbler's son. This is going nowhere.

There'll likely be enough 'Cobblers' in this thread without invoking
*actual* Cobblers for a start! :-)

--
Johnny B Good