Reception problems during heavy rain?

Old September 21st 18, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Reception problems during heavy rain?

On 21/09/2018 13:47, NY wrote:

You must be a very brave man to doubt the aerial installation
quality of such an accomplished expert in the field as Bill!

Yes, if there is anyone in the world that you'd expect to have a good
aerial delivering the best possible signal, it would be the esteemed Bill.

We only moved to this house in 1978 because
(a) I was fed up with the ghosting we'd had in every previous house
(b) I parked up and checked the signals and deduced that we would be
able to get Granada, and also Central (important for Hil's Crossroads;
she's a Brummie)

Old September 21st 18, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/09/2018 14:16, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Water in the aerial cable?

Satellite reception drops off in heavy rain, UHF very slightly.

It's possible the junction box cap has come off, but normally that
results in poor reception for a while even after the rain has stopped.
On this occasion the poor reception only lasted for the duration of the
freak rain.

Old September 21st 18, 04:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Right, I know rain does have an effect as over here in Deepest sw London
back in the 1970s, I could pick up TV from both Belgium, I do hope their
programming has improved, and France, Sacha Distel is now dead, and when
rain was in between the signals nearly vanished from being watchable. Even
VHF, the old Lille transmitter on band 1 for 819 lines was affected.

However I'm on top of a hill and this is extreme reception, I'd have thought
at your distance and with the power they use nothing but a sheet of metal
held in front of the aerial should affect it much.

I somehow got this mental picture off your aerial with an extension holding
an Umbrella over the array. Would have blown inside out last night.

I do suspect though that such extreme weather is the culprit. It has to at
least scatter the signal.

news

Old September 21st 18, 05:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Fri 21/09/2018 14:51, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/09/2018 14:16, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Water in the aerial cable?

Satellite reception drops off in heavy rain, UHF very slightly.

It's possible the junction box cap has come off, but normally that
results in poor reception for a while even after the rain has stopped.
On this occasion the poor reception only lasted for the duration of the
freak rain.

I like the humour but in fact all main stations and significant relays
are fed on fibre with dual redundancy so its unlikely rain would affect
that!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 21st 18, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 21/09/2018 in message
Terry Casey wrote:

In article , harrogate3
says...

Are you still using a group B or have you upgraded to a log
periodic yet? I'm about 26 miles away and the change from a
(supposedly) wideband multibeam to a LP has made a world of
change in signal stability on 32/34 and 56.

You must be a very brave man to doubt the aerial installation
quality of such an accomplished expert in the field as Bill!

But remember the cobbler's shoes parable - Bill probably uses a wire coat
hanger hanging off the chimney :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Old September 21st 18, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 21 September 2018 14:51:42 UTC+1, wrote:
On 21/09/2018 14:16, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Water in the aerial cable?

Satellite reception drops off in heavy rain, UHF very slightly.

It's possible the junction box cap has come off, but normally that
results in poor reception for a while even after the rain has stopped.
On this occasion the poor reception only lasted for the duration of the
freak rain.

Bill

Perhaps the mounting is a bot loose and the strong wind has blown your aerial out of alignment...

Must be pretty marginal - what aerial and how far away is the transmitter?
Old September 21st 18, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_10_]

On 21/09/2018 16:22, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 21/09/2018 in message
Terry Casey wrote:

In article , harrogate3
@ntlworld.com says...

Are you still using a group B or have you upgraded to a log
periodic yet? I'm about 26 miles away and the change from a
(supposedly) wideband multibeam to a LP has made a world of
change in signal stability on 32/34 and 56.

You must be a very brave man to doubt the aerial installation
quality of such an accomplished expert in the field as Bill!

But remember the cobbler's shoes parable - Bill probably uses a wire
coat hanger hanging off the chimney :-)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking on the lines of "it's a load of
cobblers - possibly"

But if I recall correctly the various forms of that proverb[1], it may
be his lad Paul that's watching his picture fall off the digital cliff
when the coat hanger swings or the string fries out.

[1] e.g. "the cobbler's children always go barefoot"

--
Robin
Old September 21st 18, 10:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

But if I recall correctly the various forms of that proverb[1], it may
be his lad Paul that's watching his picture fall off the digital cliff
when the coat hanger swings or the string fries out.

Ah, "Dries out" as in "Wet piece of string".

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 21st 18, 11:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , NY
scribeth thus
"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article , harrogate3
@ntlworld.com says...

Are you still using a group B or have you upgraded to a log
periodic yet? I'm about 26 miles away and the change from a
(supposedly) wideband multibeam to a LP has made a world of
change in signal stability on 32/34 and 56.

You must be a very brave man to doubt the aerial installation
quality of such an accomplished expert in the field as Bill!

Yes, if there is anyone in the world that you'd expect to have a good aerial
delivering the best possible signal, it would be the esteemed Bill.

Anyone know where Emley gets her input signals from at all?.

Satellite or landline?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old September 22nd 18, 12:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Fri 21/09/2018 22:25, tony sayer wrote:
In article , NY
scribeth thus
"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article , harrogate3
@ntlworld.com says...

Are you still using a group B or have you upgraded to a log
periodic yet? I'm about 26 miles away and the change from a
(supposedly) wideband multibeam to a LP has made a world of
change in signal stability on 32/34 and 56.

You must be a very brave man to doubt the aerial installation
quality of such an accomplished expert in the field as Bill!

Yes, if there is anyone in the world that you'd expect to have a good aerial
delivering the best possible signal, it would be the esteemed Bill.

Anyone know where Emley gets her input signals from at all?.

Satellite or landline?..

I already answered, like all main stations Emley is fed on fibre with
dual redundancy.