Question about DirecTV on Demand

Old January 31st 09, 10:40 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
joeturn2000

Default Question about DirecTV on Demand

Dish network is running a special this week for $19.00 they will hook
you up with no contract a give you a dvr that will record 50hours!!
Cheaper than buying one!!
Old January 31st 09, 12:17 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs

"Ray" wrote:

I have DirecTv On Demand and I don't believe that network shows (like
Fringe) are available for download. I was upset that they don't even
offer HBO on demand.

Do you subscribe to HBO? You must in order to get DOD from them.

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Old January 31st 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:09:53 -0800, Raymond Feist

"Ray" wrote:

Yes, I agree for movies. My aim is to be able to download a "network"
show that I missed for some reason, (recording conflict or just the
HR21 failed to record, like what happend with Fringe last week).

I have DirecTv On Demand and I don't believe that network shows (like
Fringe) are available for download. I was upset that they don't even offer
HBO on demand.

A lot of network shows can be viewed on your computer. Just go to the
network's website. I do it once in a while if I miss something.

Best, R.E.F.

Is there any way to "record" one of those shows? I checked, and sure
enough Fringe isn't available VOD, but the episode is available on the
web site, but I couldn't igure out how to record it, so I didn't
atttempt to view it on line. (As I mentioned, I can't do a large
download during regular hours, I have to wait for the 0100-0600
FAP-free hours.)

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old January 31st 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Ray

Do you subscribe to HBO? You must in order to get DOD from them.

Chip

I do subscribe to HBO. DirecTv on Demand does not offer it. They only
offer the Showtime channels on demand.

Old January 31st 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Question about DirecTV on Demand -followup

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:18:36 -0600, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

I just activated DirecTV on Demand, and have a question about how much
(in MB) download does a typical program take?

for example, say I want to download a 60 min SD program. Anyone know
how many MB that will use? How about 60 min of HD?

I need to know because my broadband is Hughesnet, and I'm limited to
375 MB over a 24 hour period (except for the FAP free hours ) so if
the download amount is excessive, I'll have to figure out how to do
this during FAP-free time.

I ran a test overnight, and downloaded a HD program. The program was
about 46 minutes long, and took 1.7 GB to download, (took almost the
entire 5-hour FAP-free period). So basically this means that VOD is
worthless for me until I get some other form of high-speed internet.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old January 31st 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Raymond Feist

"Ray" wrote:

[...]

Well, you don't download it, per se, but watch it on your browser. Of
course the data is still streaming to your computer; you're just not
saving it to disk. One way, I guess, to control your download limit
would be to leave your browser open and just click pause every so often,
spreading the dl time over a longer period. I've been told there are
utilities out there that allow you to rip video off of web sites, but
I've never seen the need.

I'm curious about the service you're on. I'm in Southern California and
haven't had any limit on my use for years, both cable modem and now AT&T
Uverse. I need huge broadband from time to time, because I'm in the
entertainment industry and sometimes have to get pretty big video files
from associates.

Anyway, back to your question: maybe one of those site ripper software
can be programed to download the program you want at a specific time? I
really don't know about that.

Best, R.E.F.

--
Never attribute to malice what can
satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
Old January 31st 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:03:20 -0800, Raymond Feist

"Ray" wrote:

[...]

I mentioned earlier in the thread (and probably should have repeated
it above) that I'm on Hughesnet for internet access, with a FAP limit
of 375 MB in a 24 hour period, excepting the "FAP-free" time of
0100-0600 local time. A recent test indicated that to download via VOD
from DirecTV takes 1.7 GB for a 45 min HD program, and that download
during the FAP-free time took almost the entire 5 hours.

So I'm guessing to stream a 1 hour program, even in SD, via the
internet would exceed the 375 MB. Hence the need to record it, so I
could download overnight. Getting the download to occur during the
0100-0600 time period isn't a problem. But I don't want to actually
"watch" it during those hours.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old January 31st 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Raymond Feist

"Ray" wrote:

[...]

OK, I have no experience with internet via satellite. I'm no AT&T
Uverse for the last year and Time-Warner Cable for the eight years
before. Before that, dial-up. There was some hoha early on with TWC
about them throttling speed to balance the load between heavy users and
light, but right now I get unlimited downloads. I looked at Hughesnet
(back when it was DirecPC) but that was just before a divorce and moving
to TWC country. I don't remember any download caps but then it was a
long time back.

Good luck.

Best, R.E.F.

DirecTv On Demand Ray Satellite dbs 6 February 14th 08 06:30 AM
DirecTV Question [email protected] High definition TV 3 April 28th 06 02:23 AM
directv question John High definition TV 1 October 1st 05 02:42 AM
Question: Starz On Demand RM MS High definition TV 9 December 29th 04 03:14 AM
Question about DirecTV & HD Steve M. in CA. High definition TV 7 November 25th 04 01:39 AM