Question about DirecTV on Demand

Old January 29th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Question about DirecTV on Demand

I just activated DirecTV on Demand, and have a question about how much
(in MB) download does a typical program take?

for example, say I want to download a 60 min SD program. Anyone know
how many MB that will use? How about 60 min of HD?

I need to know because my broadband is Hughesnet, and I'm limited to
375 MB over a 24 hour period (except for the FAP free hours ) so if
the download amount is excessive, I'll have to figure out how to do
this during FAP-free time.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old January 29th 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Jack Ak

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
I just activated DirecTV on Demand, and have a question about how much
(in MB) download does a typical program take?

for example, say I want to download a 60 min SD program. Anyone know
how many MB that will use? How about 60 min of HD?

I need to know because my broadband is Hughesnet, and I'm limited to
375 MB over a 24 hour period (except for the FAP free hours ) so if
the download amount is excessive, I'll have to figure out how to do
this during FAP-free time.

I doubt that DirecTV on Demand will use your broadband connection.
You must have a satellite dish for DirecTV.

Your broadband service provider will let you know if you are
exceeding their "fair use" policy.
Old January 29th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:16:41 -0800, jack ak wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
I just activated DirecTV on Demand, and have a question about how much
(in MB) download does a typical program take?

for example, say I want to download a 60 min SD program. Anyone know
how many MB that will use? How about 60 min of HD?

I need to know because my broadband is Hughesnet, and I'm limited to
375 MB over a 24 hour period (except for the FAP free hours ) so if
the download amount is excessive, I'll have to figure out how to do
this during FAP-free time.

I doubt that DirecTV on Demand will use your broadband connection.
You must have a satellite dish for DirecTV.

Your broadband service provider will let you know if you are
exceeding their "fair use" policy.

Actually, I have confirmed that I can use DirecTV on Demand with my
Hughesnet connection (and of course I have a satellite dish for
DirecTV, and a separate one for Hughesnet), that's not the issue. Nor
is the fact that HN will inform me if I exceed FAP. The point is, that
I want to NOT exceed FAP. As you know if you're familiar with HN, once
FAP is exceeded, you're essentially locked out of broadband use for 24
hours. I've done that several times by mistake and I'm trying to avoid
that again.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old January 29th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Bill R[_2_]

jack ak wrote:
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
I just activated DirecTV on Demand, and have a question about how much
(in MB) download does a typical program take?

for example, say I want to download a 60 min SD program. Anyone know
how many MB that will use? How about 60 min of HD?

I need to know because my broadband is Hughesnet, and I'm limited to
375 MB over a 24 hour period (except for the FAP free hours ) so if
the download amount is excessive, I'll have to figure out how to do
this during FAP-free time.

I doubt that DirecTV on Demand will use your broadband connection.
You must have a satellite dish for DirecTV.

Jack,

You REALLY need to keep up with the technology. Both DirecTV and DISH
Network use broadband service for their VOD services.

--
Bill R.

e-mail address disguised to reduce spam
Old January 30th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
joeturn2000

If in doubt whip it out! Why dont you just try it and give us a
report?
Old January 30th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:33:07 -0800 (PST), joeturn2000
wrote:

If in doubt whip it out! Why dont you just try it and give us a
report?

If you were making that suggestion for me, then if I don't get some
more information "here" I'll eventually do just that. The only problem
for me is that I really REALLY want to avoid FAP (been there, done
that) so it will be necessary for me to set the download up to occur
0200-0700 ET, so as to avoid the possibility of getting into FAP.
Since those are normally my sleeping hours, it might be a while before
I encounter enough insomnia to happen to fit that into my schedule.

I did download a short clip (DirecTV reposrts it as 6 minutes long)
yesterday. My HN stats for the time that download occurred were 117 MB
downloaded. However, since it was during the day, there were other
internet activities going on, so I don't know how much of that 117 MB
was due to the 6 min SD VOD download. Based on that one example, it
would seem that a 1 hour SD VOD download could be as much as 1 GB!

My overnight HN FAP-free hours rate seems to top out at about 450 MB
per hour, so if DirecTV will "send" information that fast, my guess is
that it would take just about all the FAP-free hours to download an
hour of HD content.

I'll try to test the VOD on an hour HD program this weekend.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
Old January 30th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Everett M. Greene

Charlie Hoffpauir writes:
joeturn2000 wrote:

[...]

It sounds as if going out and renting (or even buying) a DVD
is better and quicker.
Old January 31st 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Ray

Yes, I agree for movies. My aim is to be able to download a "network"
show that I missed for some reason, (recording conflict or just the
HR21 failed to record, like what happend with Fringe last week).

I have DirecTv On Demand and I don't believe that network shows (like
Fringe) are available for download. I was upset that they don't even offer
HBO on demand.

Old January 31st 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs
Raymond Feist

In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

Yes, I agree for movies. My aim is to be able to download a "network"
show that I missed for some reason, (recording conflict or just the
HR21 failed to record, like what happend with Fringe last week).

I have DirecTv On Demand and I don't believe that network shows (like
Fringe) are available for download. I was upset that they don't even offer
HBO on demand.

A lot of network shows can be viewed on your computer. Just go to the
network's website. I do it once in a while if I miss something.

Best, R.E.F.

--
Never attribute to malice what can
satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.

DirecTv On Demand Ray Satellite dbs 6 February 14th 08 06:30 AM
DirecTV Question [email protected] High definition TV 3 April 28th 06 02:23 AM
directv question John High definition TV 1 October 1st 05 02:42 AM
Question: Starz On Demand RM MS High definition TV 9 December 29th 04 03:14 AM
Question about DirecTV & HD Steve M. in CA. High definition TV 7 November 25th 04 01:39 AM